Brimstone egg laying preference

ChrisC

Brimstone egg laying preference

Post by ChrisC »

i was reading up on the species section of UKB to see how long the Brims will be feeding up when i read this "The skittle-shaped eggs are laid singly on the undersides of the youngest Buckthorn leaves at all heights on the foodplant" how set in stone is this as the 2 eggs i found were both on the upper side of quite large leaves. assuming that is that it is a brimstone egg of course.
bregg.JPG
Thanks
Chris
PhilBJohnson

Re: Brimstone egg laying preference

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Brimstone egg laying preference; more oviposits please
Generally noting, I thought that a female Brimstone clung to a May leaf in a comfortable way, a bit like a Large white butterfly might cling to a large nasturtium or Cabbage leaf, in a discrete way, with her wings closed, which often ended in an oviposit on the underside of a leaf, near the end of a branch. End of April leaves might not have been that developed, so end of leaf budding twig landing was noted.
As Brimstone butterflies only had one annual generation, that was on the wing in circa mid-July, she was a vulnerable adult that needed to survive and over-winter, negotiate storms and oviposit mid to late Spring, in time with the deciduous Buckthorn leafing.
Being a single egg ovipositor in different locations and having one of our largest UK butterfly abdomens, to carry many eggs further afield as May warmed up, protecting her from being sported in the Spring, by childish behaviour with butterfly nets, was considered a sensible foresight, for future generations of Brimstone butterflies.
Kind Regards,

Return to “Brimstone”