Micro Moth

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
zigzag_wanderer

Micro Moth

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Took these snaps at work on May 7th around 1:30 pm.

I accidently disturbed this micro from some low foliage around the base of pussy willow shrub, it flew down into the grass, where it seemed perfectly happy.

Purely based on shape it looks very similar to Ypsolopha sequella, with a tapered torpedo body form when seen from above and a similar amount of "lift" at the rear end of the wings. However, I don't think it's pied enough in colour (unless very worn) and UK Moths tells me that insect flies in July and August.

Purely based on colour and markings, it looks closer to Scythropia crataegella (Hawthorn Moth), but again UK Moths tells me this species is on the wing in July. We're definitely not short of hawthorn though.

So it's probably neither of these species, but I wanted to show I'd put a modicum of effort in 😉

Any help in ID'ing gratefully received, but I appreciate it's very tricky with some of these micros.
Attachments
zzz_1.JPG
zzz_2.JPG
bugboy

Re: Micro Moth

Post by bugboy »

Closest fit I can get in my ID guide is Digitivalva pulicariae
Some addictions are good for the soul!
zigzag_wanderer

Re: Micro Moth

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Thanks a lot for that suggestion, Bugboy.

I make that a great call and agree it seems to have the best overall match for both shape and markings, particularly the oppositely pointed chevrons when viewed from above. Mine seems to have a slightly lighter background colour than most examples online, but that's a mere bagatelle compared to variation levels I see in photos of some other species (and also might be related to the restricted light of its resting/hiding place).

What UK Moths tells me is:

A locally distributed species, occurring from southern England northwards to Northumberland, Wales and Ireland.

The larva mines the leaves of common fleabane (Pulicaria dysenterica), forming brownish or whitish inflated blotches.

The adult moths fly from August and hibernate over winter, reappearing up to May the following spring.

So this would fit. We have plenty of fleabane (along with ragwort for the cinnabars) and the timing would fit a post-hibernation adult.

I reckon you've cracked it - ta muchly !

Return to “Identification”