Denbies Hillside

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Jack Harrison

Denbies Hillside

Post by Jack Harrison »

I met my son Miles today, who lives in Reigate, not too far away from Denbies.  I might have persuaded him to try butterflying there.

Miles H tells me that the track at the bottom (!) of Denbies is apparently popular with some Naked Ramblers group.  I hope they don't scare the Grizzled Skippers, Adonis Blues, Green Hairstreaks and other 'goodies' at Denbies.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Re: Denbies Hillside

Post by Neil Hulme »

Pink Hairstreakers?
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm a regular visitor to Denbies Hillside, and I have to say that I've only encountered the Pink Hairstreaks on the one occasion. Greens are far more common. However, the area of habitat was exactly as described, though I imagine the species is just passing through on migration... :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:04 pmPink Hairstreakers?
:lol: :lol:
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

"Pink Hairstreaks"
Action from moderators needed here. That is a blatantly racist comment.
I am sure that among the ramblers there will be - to use the modern PC terminology - some "Hairstreaks of Colour".

Jack
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've yet to stumble across any pink hairstreaks at denbies but I did awkwardly find a pair in-cop in a secluded corner of Tottenham marshes some years ago :oops:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Bugboy
did awkwardly find a pair in-cop
Matthew Oates in one of his splendid books has a similar tale. Apparently it was the highlight of the tour for some Americans he was leading.

In the 60s when I was gliding from RAF Benson, nearby Watlington Hill apparently gave several sightings by the pilots. I never managed any signting though. I always seemed to be too busy instructing young servicemen doing their basic training.

Jack
Medard

Post by Medard »

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
All thins that fly.
Around 1987 pestered by my youngest son I started building model aircraft, it had been a teenage  hobby of mine, one of my associates in our flying club who built gliders had the idea of  incorporating  a camera in one of his gliders, he flew on the Mendip Hills just south of WSM , he had some success and was invited to fly  amongst  the annual bird migration over the bosphorus, now with go pro and other miniature camera what a chance I missed, how technology has advanced, after the loss of many friends I lost my passion for flying and used my cameras to film the moorlands of Somerset and its wildlife, then to France in pursuit of butterflies and all other species that came into my line of vision.
Albatros D.V
Albatros D.V
Albatros D.V
Attachments
Albatros D.V
Albatros D.V
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I've had a brief look through you photos James. I really like the style. I'll return for a more detailed look later.

Jack

Return to “Sites”