South African Butterfly

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
David Tipping

South African Butterfly

Post by David Tipping »

S (38) Brown Playboy or Purple-brown Hairstreak.JPG
Any thoughts on the identity of this butterfly, spotted in the Waterberg Mountains region of South Africa? I'm thinking possibly Brown Playboy or Purple-brown Hairstreak, but I could very easily be wrong.
DJT
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: South African Butterfly

Post by Padfield »

Interesting. The genus is Deudorix (the playboys) and it looks most like antalus (the brown playboy) except for the complete absence of any basal spots. All my books, and photos on the internet, show specimens with basal spots, though there is one internet photo with just one spot (https://www.inaturalist.org/photos/874969). If you are lucky, Charaxes (the UK Butterflies member, not the genus) will respond definitively.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

I know absolutely nothing about South African butterflies ...........but i do have a book ! years ago my in-laws lived and worked in South Africa and one Christmas they sent me the fieldguide to the butterflies of SA. by Ivor Migdoll .
I,ve had a browse through the book ,and there is a similar insect (to my eyes anyway !) The Purple Brown Hairstreak .Hypolycaena phillipus Phillipus . the one in your pic looks similar and may have lost its tails. Just a thought!
Allan.W.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The genus Hypolycaena has a single forewing cell bar, rather than the double seen here. My vote still goes for Deudorix, though Charaxes is the expert on these butterflies!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

As I;ve already mentioned i ,ll readily admit to knowing nothing about SA. Butterflies ,i,ve just noticed that David (Tipping ) also went for
Purple Brown Hairstreak ,be interested to see what Charaxes thinks . Just had another look ,and Brown Playboy (already suggested by David )Does look like a better candidate.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi David,
Looks like an Orange-barred Playboy ( Deudorix diocles) which is interesting as your sighting is quite far west for previous records. Where exactly did you see this one?
Both the Apricot and Brown Playboys (more likely candidates for the area you were in) have fairly prominent underside basal spots so this counts out these species. I've checked my catalogue of photos of these two Playboys and I can find none (out of many individuals) without these spots - some specimens have only faint spots but they are always present.

From the sightings where I live (just west of waterberg region) I'm not particularly surprised you saw this species outside of it's known 'zone'. I've seen a fair few species here which are far from where they have been recorded before and believe more will turn up in the future.
Now I'm looking forward to seeing the first Orange-barred Playboy here!

Regards, Scott
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Hi Scott,
Thanks for you input, and for the identification. The butterfly was photographed at the Sebatana Private Reserve (nearest town Vaalwater), just over a week ago.
DJT
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for the ID .Scott ! and good call Guy ! I always like to have a go ,and i,m never bothered about being wrong.
Allan.W.
As a matter of interest Scott is Ivor Migdoll a well known South African lepidopterist ? My field guide does seem pretty comprehensive . My wife lived in SA for about 10 years ,and the in-laws sent me the book ,hoping that we may go back for a visit ...........as yet we haven,t made it !
Allan.W.
Charaxes

Post by Charaxes »

Hi Allan,

Ivor's book was my favourite guide in my early days of butterflying here in SA, but to be honest I do not have much information about Ivor. I haven't seen or heard of him lately so assumed he may no longer be with us because I did once read he had become ill and withdrawn somewhat from public life.
If you do make it back then it would be worth getting hold of Steve Woodhall's Field guide to Butterflies of South Africa. It's excellent and very comprehensive. Good luck returning back to SA! There are some real treats waiting for you!

Regards, Scott
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks for that information Scott ! I,m recently retired ........more time on my hands now,so we may well get out to SA .
Thanks also for the book recommendation ......much appreciated !
Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Identification”