Help with butterflies seen in Turkey

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Old Wolf

Help with butterflies seen in Turkey

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello all,
I have been trying to, very unsuccessfully, identify some butteflies seen on a trip to Turkey in August of last year and though I would post some pictures on here to see if anyone can help.

First up are a couple of Skippers seen in the almost quite butterfly-less 'Butterfly Valley' which is in the Mugla region.

Exhibit A - Unfortunately I could not get a clear shot of the upperside and the sun was very bright so not sure if it is possible, but here it is:
Exhibit A.JPG
Exhibit A 1.JPG
Exhibit A 2.JPG
Exhibit B - Although I did manage an upperside the sun leached the colour!
Exhibit B.JPG
Exhibit B 1.JPG
Exhibit B2.JPG
Exhibit B 3.JPG
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old Wolf.
Benjamin

Re: Help with butterflies seen in Turkey

Post by Benjamin »

Hi Old Wolf. Exhibit A is a Sage Skipper.

I’m not really up to date with the science but this species has been split recently. I think some sources suggest everything in Turkey should be considered Eastern Sage Skipper (Muschampia proteides) whereas the leading Turkish website suggests an area of overlap between Sage Skipper (Muschampia proto) and Eastern Sage Skipper on the south coast around Antalya. According to the Turkish source your butterfly in Muğla would be a Sage Skipper. If you really want to know I’m sure you can do some digging to clear it up……

Exhibit B is a Mallow Skipper.

Incidentally did you see any of the tiny Grass Jewel butterflies in this area? I always look for them when I see Heliotropium but to be honest I’m not sure if they use the particular species in your photos.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Ben, thank you for the help, it is very much appreciated.

My Skipper kung fu is not good enough for that I am afraid as I couldn't even identify the species :D Exhibit A I had no idea but Exhibit B I could not choose between Mallow or Oriental Marbled so I really appreciate the expert help.

With regards to Grass Jewel, alas no. I did not see any. As I mentioned Butterfly Valley was pretty empty of butterflies. I think it is unfortunately a prime example of a habitat that has been ruined by tourism. It is only accessible by boat. I got the water taxi there but therer are numerous pirate party boats that stop off there as the first stop on their tours. Hundreds and hundreds of loud, party seeking tourists are dropped off for an hour to explore the area with no regard for the actual wildlife. I knew, as I had read online, that it wouldn't be very good but I could not pass up on the opportunity as I was literally just along the coast.

The total of what I actually saw there were two Exhibit A's chasing each other in the campsite on one side of the only path that runs up the centre. One Pygmy skipper, one exhibit B on the other side of the path in the campsite and one unidentified white near the (very nearly dried out) waterfall at the end of butterfly valley. Even with binoculars I couldn't be sure what it was.

Other wildlife seen were Cicadas, mountain goats and a green and brown striped lizard.
Old Wolf.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

P.S. I have a few more that I am not sure of Ben, so if I could be cheeky and ask for a little more of that expert help :D

I will try and post tonight but be warned, these are grainy from a distance type shots so they will really test you!
Old Wolf.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Here are the last few that I have been struggling with if anyone can offer some help/advice. All were seen up Mount Babadag, between 1700 and 1900m.

Exhibit A - This was seen at the summit over a railing and these are heavily cropped so I don't know whether they will offder enough detail for a positive ID. The one I was thinking was Eastern Rock Grayling but very happy to be corrected.
Exhibit A.JPG
Exhibit A 1.JPG
Exhibit A 2.JPG
Exhibit B- I think these are all the same butterfly but am not 100% certain. They were taken from 1700-1900m and I had originally though they were False Grayling until I realised that the False Grayling may not have two spots. This pushed me towards thinking a type of Meadow Brown but I am not sure :?
Exhibit B (2).JPG
Exhibit B1.JPG
Exhibit B 2.JPG
DSC_6343_01.JPG
Some awful shots that give a glimpse of the uppers....if they help at all :lol:
Exhibit B uppers.JPG
Exhibit B uppers 2.JPG
Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated :D
Old Wolf.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Hi Old Wolf -

It’s a shame butterflies were not as numerous as you’d hoped - spring and early summer is the best time to target these southern regions but I’m guessing you weren’t only there for the butterflies.

Later in the year is still good for graylings though, as it seems you found out….

Exhibit A is a male White-banded Grayling. I think the next photo after the three of the male is a female of the same species. I’d like to see a bit more of the forewing to be sure but I reckon that’s what it is.

All pics after that show Lydian Tawny Rockbrowns - I think. I’m not familiar with them as I spend most of my time in Turkey outside of their range (in the NE about as far from Muğla as it’s possible to be!) but I think the lack of white spots between the eye spots eliminates most of the likely alternatives. I will have a closer look later and post again if I change my mind….
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Many thanks for your help Ben, it is very much appreciated. I wasn't sure if some of the pictures were good enough for a positive id, so I am well chuffed that you managed it.
Benjamin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:27 am It’s a shame butterflies were not as numerous as you’d hoped - spring and early summer is the best time to target these southern regions but I’m guessing you weren’t only there for the butterflies.
You are correct. It wasn't a butterfly holiday but there were a few opportunites to slope off and explore for butterflies which saw me visit mount Babadag twice and the abandoned village of Kayakoy for a few hours one afternoon. All in all I saw 29 different species with 18 lifers so not a bad haul all in all.
Old Wolf.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

For what it's worth, Tshikolovets has proteides over most of Turkey but not Mugla, and he expressly mentions proto for Mugla.

I've never been to that part of the world, so it's a pleasure to take a vicarious peek at these butterflies. So much better than studying set specimens in the books ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Identification”