Winter butterflies in Spain

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Andy02

Winter butterflies in Spain

Post by Andy02 »

DSC08181.jpeg
Being fortunate enough to spend much of December / January in Malaga each year , I am used to seeing 10-15 species regularly on my transect. Not much surprises me anymore and species seem to emerge earlier as each year passes. However, I had never seen a skipper of any description at this time of the year. On January 1st 2024 I was amazed to find a fresh False Mallow Skipper Carcharodus tripolinus and managed to photo another later in the month at a nearby location. I usually see them here from late March. I suppose, being of North African origin, it is the most likely Skipper to fly in January but it was the first January record for me in the 10 years on this transect .
Other species seem at this time of the year include Spanish Festoon Zerynthia rumina and Nettle tree Butterfly Libythea Celtis. In fact Dec/Jan is the best time to see both of these in Malaga .
Anyone with the winter blues should consider a short butterfly break to the Costa del Sol. You will not be disappointed
David M

Re: Winter butterflies in Spain

Post by David M »

Andalusia is fast becoming an extension to north Africa, Andy. Yet another incredibly warm winter has seen butterflies on the wing which, in times gone by, would have been absent.

Good to know they have had a bit of rain down there lately. There was even some snow on the mountains north of Malaga!
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

True enough David. I am constantly on the lookout for new North African invaders. It can only be a matter of time before another African species settles in Southern Spain. Perhaps Greenish black tip will throw the geneticists into panic.
David M

Post by David M »

Andy02 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:40 amPerhaps Greenish black tip will throw the geneticists into panic.
Is charlonia present on the north coast of Morocco?

If it is, then a 10 mile flight over the Straits of Gibraltar shouldn't be insurmountable.
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

David M wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:04 am
Andy02 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:40 amPerhaps Greenish black tip will throw the geneticists into panic.
Is charlonia present on the north coast of Morocco?

If it is, then a 10 mile flight over the Straits of Gibraltar shouldn't be insurmountable.
It was the most common species for me in December. If I lived in Tarifa area I would be on the lookout certainly

Return to “General”