Off subject... Moth Trap

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Paul

Off subject... Moth Trap

Post by Paul »

Critiscisms invited on this beast created by best rules of Heath Robinson with a hen feeder & the important bits bought at the BC conference . I'm accepting bets on whether it ever catches anything :lol:

Shirley Roulston

Re: Off subject... Moth Trap

Post by Shirley Roulston »

If it should get wet, there's a bit of wire sticking out, with the fact its metal, you'll proberly get such an electic shock you won't see what you've caught nither will you see Christmas, good luck :lol:
Shirley
Paul

Post by Paul »

Look out for the news.... "firemen puzzled by smoking pile of rags found in tree following multiple UFO sightings in North Yorkshire!" :wink:
JKT

Post by JKT »

Well... I hope you have grounded it properly, but that was already hinted at. Ordinary Hg lamps don't yield much (any?) UV so the additional glass probably won't have an additional detrimental effect. Should you find a clear lamp, the results would be much better. Unfortunately, those are very much special items. On the plus side ANY lamp will get you something on a good night. :)
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Paul - this whole discussion has been absolutely electrifying. I'm sure you'll be conducting an amazing experience that will light up the neighbourhood. Given the design, I suspect you'll attract good numbers of Current Clearwing :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul

Post by Paul »

:lol: :lol: .... beginning to look very carefully at the electrics :oops: ... perhaps the angle of the shot may be a little misleading!!! :D
roundwood123

Post by roundwood123 »

Hi Paul, your trap is certainly unique, it looks like an MV set up so you will certainly catch Moths, best of luck trapping next year i look forward to seeing your catch. Steve
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have been inspired by the BBC Nature's Top 40 item on moth trapping and might well broaden my interests.

For beginners, the programme hinted that a Heath Trap is a good relatively cheap starting point rather that the more expensive Robinson. But I know very little about the subject so seek your advice.

I am in a village location in South Cambridgeshire. The trap would be set up in the back garden and should cause minimal nuisance to neighbours (and to the family being on the side away from bedrooms). Mains electricity would be available with a lead of up to say 15 metres.

My aims would not initially be particularly ambitious, identification being the first priority, probably by taking photos and then using a suitable field guide. I don't have a guide at present but presume I could do far worse than get "Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland" by Paul Waring and Martin Townsend.

So some advice please on what to look at and what price to expect to pay, links to suppliers, etc.

Jack
Paul

Post by Paul »

The item modelled above has a sleek metallic "modern image"exterior, sadly a mutilated hen feeder, £35, with the vital bits of lamp gizmo costing about £50 from a propper supplier. I spent an hour looking for suitable bits in a farm supplies place before I settled on the hen feeder. More expensive than I wanted, but all the bits were useful.... still cheaper than the £200+ for the "Porsche" version....I understand from bits I read, the slit in the funnel needs to be 2.5cm wide.. enough for moths to get in, but not out. I can't remember how much cable came with it but seems quite a lot. If it all goes wrong with the electrics, I guess I'll still catch moths, electrocuted ones.! :(

Return to “General”