Small Tortoiseshell - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 17

The ‘Small’ theme continues this week…those dishing out the common names weren’t that imaginative were they? I mean what’s wrong with Little, Tiny, Titchy, Median, Less Than Average Sized…but no it’s Small all the way. Oh well at least these ‘Smalls’ make up for their name in appearance or character.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Small Tortoiseshell - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Small Tortoiseshell

I chose this particular shot as my Favourite of 2023 as it is of the underside. Whilst the topside is fantastic; bright and eye catching with a brilliant mix of colour and pattern the underside, I feel often gets overlooked. Sure it’s nowhere near as showy but what it lacks in ostentation it makes up for in spades in its beautiful subtly.
ST 3 07-07-2023 3.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

I hesitate to post this rather dubious offering, and do so with total confidence that it will be definitely the worst photograph to grace this thread. However, it is not only the only photo of a Small Tortoiseshell I managed all season, but the only one I saw, despite spending plenty of time out and about. Guess that's a sad reflection of the way in which this species has declined in the SE. This one was at a local site in the Surrey fringes of south London in mid-July, and in mitigation for the quality of the photo it was a long way away up a bank, fluttering around in the middle of a mass of vegetation, and very hard to focus on in the brief time it was visible...
P7100416_A.jpg
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

2023 was definitely my poorest year for sightings of this wonderful butterfly. A couple appeared in my Aberdeen garden on 15th April and I didn't see anymore in my garden till 20th August. Even then they were not in great numbers as the previous year.

The only other ones I seen were at St cyrus nnr on 8th July.

Best photos attached.

Bert.
Attachments
Aberdeen April
Aberdeen April
St cyrus July
St cyrus July
Aberdeen August
Aberdeen August
Aberdeen August
Aberdeen August
Aberdeen August
Aberdeen August
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm not sure anyone had a good year with this species, in complete contrast to 2022 when plagues of them decorated the countryside in early summer but this one on Box Hill was a very welcome splash of colour back in July.
Small Tortoiseshell, Box Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

The Small Tortoiseshell had a truly terrible year here in Crawley, with only two seen on the two nearby Gatwick transect sites, plus one group of larvae.
Small Tortoiseshell larvae - Gatwick, Sussex 4-June-2023
Small Tortoiseshell larvae - Gatwick, Sussex 4-June-2023
However, the numbers were slightly better on the south coast at Lancing, but not by much.

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:04 pmI'm not sure anyone had a good year with this species...
I certainly didn't. I reckon I saw no more than 50-60 all year in the UK!!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Numbers dropped again on my local patch in 2023, both in the spring when the hibernators emerged and also in the summer when their offspring appeared. Here is one of the latter in a less usual pose, puddling for salts in a sunny spell following rain on 7th July.
ST1 070723.JPG
ST2 070723.JPG
Dave
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

The big loser in Chelmsford with a significant drop in sightings, with the most seen on the day of my first sighting on the 17th of April. I have a couple of favourite images showing the start and finish of this beautiful butterfly. A newly emerged specimen from my trip to Hatfield Forest, and perhaps my favourite photograph of one hanging on earlier in the year nectaring on meadow buttercups on the flood plain of the River Chelmer:
Small Tortoiseshell 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
Small Tortoiseshell 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell 04/06/2023 Meadgate, Essex
Small Tortoiseshell 04/06/2023 Meadgate, Essex
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
KayG

Post by KayG »

I also saw only a few this year, and my favourite photo was also a survivor hanging on. I liked it as a reminder that they aren't as fragile as people fear. This one appeared right beside me on a warm June day during a transect at Little France Park in Edinburgh. Little France is more of a nature reserve than a "park" in the British sense, as large areas of it are left pretty much unmanaged by Edinburgh Council, who've worked with a wide range of wildlife charities and are quite sussed.
A Small Tortoiseshell aged P1117586 (1)2.JPG
The one below was spotted in Little France again, on a hot July afternoon among one of the myriad patches of thistles that are basically the emblematic flower of the wilder sections. I think this one is creeping thistle: why it's so named I've no clue, as it's highly assertive towards me. But that's OK, as no-one else wants to be thistled, brambled, nettled and leapt on by ticks, so I get to watch butterflies in peace with just the passing deer.
A Small Tortoiseshell 3 P1122842 (1)1.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Unlike members located down south, I had a reasonable year with Small Tortoiseshells in 2023 even if numbers were noticably down from the high points of the past couple of years.
There were plenty of awakened hibernators in the spring with my highest count on one day being 18, down a bit from the 2 dozen or so I could see in the previous couple of springs.

There is nothing better to start the season than seeing butterflies on spring blossom :D
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 03.04.2023
I also saw numerous courtship attempts but as usual they all ended up by disappearing into the distance.
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 08.04.2023
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 08.04.2023
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 03.05.2023
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 03.05.2023
Similar numbers were seen later in the summer, that is 12-18 through July which was quite a drop from the 40+ I could see a couple of summers back.
Small Tortoisehell - Wagon Lane 12.07.2023
Small Tortoisehell - Wagon Lane 12.07.2023
Small Tortoisehell - Wagon Lane 17.07.2023
Small Tortoisehell - Wagon Lane 17.07.2023
Small Tortoisehell - Wagon Lane 25.07.2023
Small Tortoisehell - Wagon Lane 25.07.2023
Given these lower numbers seen in the summer, I am keeping my fingers crossed for this spring. I am hoping that good numbers went into hibernation early, something that seems to be happening more and more in recent years.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw the Small Tortoiseshell on the 15th of June at Herne Bay, I decided to take a walk by the sea so I took the path where I knew some plants were still not suffering too much from the hot Sun, I also went out about 4pm, I've learnt from experience that if it's too hot the Butterflies are more abundant when it get's that be cooler :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8654.JPG
IMG_8646.JPG
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

High numbers of Small Tortoiseshell in Cambridgeshire are a thing of the past but numbers seem to have been fairly stable in recent years. My favourites are of visitors to the flower bed next to my house where they are very approachable.
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell, Cambridgeshire, 10 September
Small Tortoiseshell, Cambridgeshire, 10 September
Small Tortoiseshell, Cambridgeshire, 27 June
Small Tortoiseshell, Cambridgeshire, 27 June
David M

Post by David M »

This lovely, fresh specimen with a dark smudge around the upf discal area was seen on 15th September on the Glamorgan coast:
15.SmallTort(1).jpg

Return to “Small Tortoiseshell”