2023 was the Swallowtails worst year since records began

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
bugboy

2023 was the Swallowtails worst year since records began

Post by bugboy »

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wolfson

Re: 2023 was the Swallowtails worst year since records began

Post by Wolfson »

It will be a sad day if we loose the Swallowtail from The Broads. However, the habitat is very vulnerable to effects of climate change and I fear it is only a matter of time. Perhaps the only hope is to create more suitable habitat further up the river catchments away from the tides and less vulnerable to flooding. Another risk might be the continental race getting established, not sure how that would play out.
Chris L

Re: 2023 was the Swallowtails worst year since records began

Post by Chris L »

That was an extremely grim read. I read the article when it was published but it felt considerably more grim reading it a second time. I really fear for the future of this remarkable butterfly.

Unlike the tragic loss of the Large Blue where the race against time to get the knowledge to halt their demise was not won, it feels to me like all of the factors working against the Swallowtail are known. That offers some hope. Yet as I look out over yet another torrential downpour in the Midlands, it is a race against time.

I don't understand the way of the world but it seems a bit of a bureaucratic nonsense to actually have to apply to get a licence to grow and plant more Milk Parsley :roll:

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”