Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 14

It’s cold out there :( so stay in and select your Favourite Butterfly Photos of 2023! :wink: :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Ringlet

This was taken at the end of June at Alners Gorse on the first of two visits that I made. Both were extremely memorable, which is actually the reason that I chose this image, of this species, for the Favourite this year. Amid Silver-washed Frits, Purple and White-letter Hairstreaks, White Admirals and with the prospect of Lulworths, DGFs and Adonis Blues later the poor old Ringlet would have gotten short shrift on the day, despite being a lovely example and also being my first for the year. So to make it up to the Ringlet for my lack of attention I chose this shot.
R 24-06-2023 17.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Saw my first Ringlets of 2023 on 20th June at my local Bridge of don wild meadow.
Best photos attached.
Attachments
DSC_8422.jpeg
DSC_8335.jpeg
DSC_8281.jpeg
DSC_8238.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Ringlets failed to show on my local patch in 2023, though to be fair I only ever see one or two here in most years. However, there was no shortage in the woodlands of both Bookham and Chiddingfold, and I managed this shot at the latter location early on before the Emperors appeared on that magical day back in June.
RT1 240623.JPG
Though I had drawn a blank near to home I did find a few a bit further away at Staines Moor.
RT1 280623.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Bertl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:24 pmSaw my first Ringlets of 2023 on 20th June at my local Bridge of don wild meadow.
Lovely pale undersides on that one, Bertl. :mrgreen:
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Thanks David.

It seems to be almost the norm on that particular site.

Bert.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my Ringlets in Blean Woods, they didn't settle for very long , not surprising with the weather like it was , very cloudy at times, when the Sun did appear they took advantage of it right a way :D 10th of July Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8941.JPG
IMG_8926.JPG
IMG_8812.jpeg
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

First photo from Chiddingfold (Tugley Wood) in the last week of June, when after a while spent chasing round after larger and flashier butterflies, this one settled very nicely with wings almost flat (though not for long enough for me to get everything in as good a focus as I should have done).
7B7A1022_A.jpg
Second photo from Ashtead Common in early July. I happened upon a flurry of brown wings, which turned out to be a mating pair with a third one fluttering around to investigate. After the third one left I attempted a few shots of the mating pair, but they weren't well positioned for a photograph (not their primary concern, after all), so I've chosen one with the three.
P7060200_A.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

This lustrous specimen, which had presumably recently emerged, was seen on my local commons on 18th June:
18.Ringletups(1).jpg
18.Ringletuns(1).jpg
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

A species for which I rarely get a good photo opportunity, but after several hours of heavily overcast weather in the Pyrenees, I went for a stroll and this male was making the most of what little sunlight there was.
Aphantopus hyperantus_51187W.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I didn't take many pictures of them last year but here's a nice fresh underside from Bookham.
Ringlet, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

The Ringlet was the biggest loser [along with Small Tortoiseshell] in Chelmsford with very few sightings during what felt like a very short season. Although I did manage to find good numbers in other butterfly sites in Essex where some of my favourite photographs were taken, starting with a fresh-looking one from a failed visit to Thrift Wood to find Heath Fritillary, but instead managed to find a successful colony of Ringlets - 42 in perfect conditions for them:
Ringlet 02/07/2023 Thrift Wood, Essex
Ringlet 02/07/2023 Thrift Wood, Essex
And then a found even more [50+] in Hockley Wood on a successful trip to find Heath Fritillary - the best underside shot:
Ringlet 07/07/2023 Hockley Woods, Essex
Ringlet 07/07/2023 Hockley Woods, Essex
And then, probably the best photograph of all, Ringlets in cop, from a wonderful trip to Hatfield Forest [100+]:
Ringlet 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
Ringlet 18/07/2023 Hatfield Forest, Essex
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex

Return to “Ringlet”