Some new Cartoon interpretations

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
millerd

Re: Some new Cartoon interpretations

Post by millerd »

Nigel ponsonby-smallpiece was one of Ken Dodd's Diddymen. Is this to whom the reference was made?

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nigel ponsonby-smallpiece was one of Ken Dodd's Diddymen. Is this to whom the reference was made?
I have no idea but likely it was. I merely quoted what someone had posted in jest on a forum. So maybe that poster's mother took a few liberties when she said she knew someone with that name.

I was never Ken Dodd fan so wouldn't have heard of Nigel P-D

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:08 pm..Can you pronounce those David?
Not particularly well, Jack, although I've improved a great deal in the 15 years I've been here.

Once you've heard certain words or place names sufficient times you get used to pronouncing them authentically.

I also learned the Welsh National Anthem so I can sing along with everyone else!!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The Welsh Anthem puts the dreary UK one to shame.  I simply don't join in "God save the King" not because I am unpatriotic.  No, for two main reasons (apart from the dreadful tune): 

It puts one individual, The Monarch, on a pedestal:  
It invites help from 'god' - not a concept that I, nor many others, accept.

As for using the local language.  I have worked in, and lived in Scotland (from choice) for about 20 years of my life.  Even so, old habits die hard. 
However, I do use the words 'tatties' and 'dreich' in everyday speech but spoken with an apparently discernable Norfolk accent :?

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:40 am..As for using the local language.  I have worked in, and lived in Scotland (from choice) for about 20 years of my life.  Even so, old habits die hard.  However, I do use the words 'tatties' and 'dreich' in everyday speech but spoken with an apparently discernable Norfolk accent
Repeated exposure to it eventually makes you absorb it and start using it, Jack.

I regularly use the Welsh word 'cwtch', and when I worked in Scotland for a prolonged period in the 1990s I found myself using the word 'wee' instead of 'little'.

I love 'dreich'. You don't need a translation; just the sound of it tells you what it is. :)
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks for your solutions, Buggy. I got most of them right, though I had marbled fritillary for your dark green fritillary. I think my own harder one was a bit unfair, but I did say I'd give a hint after Christmas. So here goes : it's supposed to be a decrepit old man at sunrise. The reference is to the Latin name, via its mythology. Wombo Dream didn't give me quite the picture I asked for ... :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Padfield wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:26 pm Thanks for your solutions, Buggy. I got most of them right, though I had marbled fritillary for your dark green fritillary. I think my own harder one was a bit unfair, but I did say I'd give a hint after Christmas. So here goes : it's supposed to be a decrepit old man at sunrise. The reference is to the Latin name, via its mythology. Wombo Dream didn't give me quite the picture I asked for ... :D

Guy
So it's not a man in a Cloak in the morning (Mourning) then!

Pyronia tithonus. Tithonus was the lover of Eos, the Goddess of the dawn who in one telling of Greek myths was granted immortality but not agelessness... thats what Google, the source of all knowledge doth say anyway...
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Well done, Buggy ! Yes, poor old Tithonus : he was granted immortality but forgot to read the small print. His lover, the Dawn, was reborn fresh as a daisy every day, while he grew ancient and wizened.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Without your clue Guy, I wouldn't have got it in a month of Sundays! I wasn't aware of the meaning of that particular scientific name. Here's what nightcafe came up with with the description decrepit old man watching the sun rise
TQatilmZ3fGGBCP5Ax7g--1--s71g4.jpg
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “General”