Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4

Last year I wrote about how ‘there might not be many butterflies left after the deluges’…looks like history repeated itself! Saying that I’m sure there might be a few stalwarts still out there looking to stretch their wings should the sun reappear!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Dingy Skipper

This Favourite came from Cotley Hill back in May. The Marshies were flying as were the Walls and a trip here and then onto Martin Down saw me adding 7 ‘Firsts for the Year’ to the yearly Tally. In amongst all the variation and interesting behaviour and novelty the Dingy Skippers could have been easily overlooked (small, ‘dingy’ markings etc.). However these two ensured that they caught the attention of Philzoid and myself as they sat high up on a tall grass stem and enjoyed the pleasures of the flesh/ensured the continuation of the species/met their Biological imperative/got it on – delete as appropriate! As this was only my second ever encounter of this species in cop it immediately became top contender for the Favourite and remained so for the rest of the season!
DS 20-05-2023 52.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

This little beauty of a butterfly was a first for me this season. I visited Logie Quarry near Tain where the Highland Butterfly Conservation group have done a terrific job with their species on the edge project which has produced a thriving population of dingy skipper and small blue butterflies.

Cheers

Bert.
Attachments
DSC_5632.jpeg
DSC_5629.jpeg
ChrisStamp

Post by ChrisStamp »

Dingy skipper pictures from the amazing Glen Feshie in Highland Speyside, where this species along with Small blue live on river gravels that are submerged in winter.
DingySkipper2Small.jpg
DingySkipper3small.jpg
DSkip4Small.jpg
Scene1.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I encountered Dingy Skippers in several of their usual haunts that I visit in May each year. This one from Denbies on 11th of that month was particularly fresh: almost a textbook example.
DS3 110523.JPG
Dave
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

Interesting photos from Glen Feshie. If they live on river gravels that are submerged in winter, how does this affect larval survival rates over the winter?
overthepass

Post by overthepass »

With the slow start to the season my Dingy Skipper records (and photos) were relatively few. First one below is from the Chiddingfold forest complex, where they're sometimes encountered in clearings but aren't plentiful.
7B7A9453_A.jpg
About the only (semi-) underside shot I managed, from the North Downs (although it was the delicate pose on the grass head that really caught the attention).
7B7A9781_A.jpg
And from the same visit, one sunning itself above the warm chalk path.
7B7A9757_A.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Found reasonable numbers locally this season the majority on the North Downs ,particularly in the Wye (Kent ) area .
This pair were right beside the footpath at the base of the Devils Kneading trough while on a Duke hunt .
Allan.W.
P1190321.JPG
ChrisStamp

Post by ChrisStamp »

Interesting photos from Glen Feshie. If they live on river gravels that are submerged in winter, how does this affect larval survival rates over the winter?
This year will be a real test - massive amounts of water up here. Hoping they come through ok.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Due to a visit to our daughter down in Emsworth in April, I saw quite a few Dingy Skippers this year with good numbers at both Butser Hill/Rake Bottom and at Old Winchester Hill. Although I took plenty of photos, the breezy conditions on both days meant that the subjects were mostly low down amongst the vegetation.

The only time that I saw Dingy skippers nearer home was during a visit to Bishops Hill on 23rd May when there were still reasonable numbers in good condition flying
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

This fresh-looking individual seen at Rodborough Common, Glos, on 14th May was my favourite:
14.Dingy(2).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hot days are good for getting an underside shot, when they start to temperature regulate, but getting a clean background making the butterfly pop out of the picture is less common hence it gets my vote this year.
Dingy Skipper, Denbies Hillside.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Dingy Skipper”