October 2023

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: October 2023

Post by David M »

Wednesday 25th - Surprisingly good day today, with six different species seen at two coastal locations on the Gower: Nicholaston Burrows & Limeslade Bay:

Red Admiral 9
Small Copper 2
Peacock 1
Small White 1
Painted Lady 1
Speckled Wood 1
25S.RedAdm(1).jpg
25S.SmCopp(1).jpg
25S.Pck(1).jpg
25S.SpckWd(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

On the plus side, there was quite a bit of sunshine this afternoon locally. On the minus side, other activities meant I couldn't go out on my local patch until after three o'clock, which at this time of year leaves very little time before the sun gets low and it cools off. Consequently, I only found four butterflies: One egg-laying Red Admiral pausing briefly to warm up, and another one in flight...
RA1 251023.JPG
...a species that somehow eluded me yesterday when I saw eight other species: a new male Speckled Wood...
SpW1 251023.JPG
...and a Small Copper whose absence yesterday had been noted.
SC1 251023.JPG
I can track sightings of this individual back to at least the 14th (when it was by no means fresh), and will delve further back to see if I can better estimate its age. If the weather doesn't deteriorate too much, this one could make it to November... :)

Dave
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

A walk in Minet CP, west London yielded Red Admiral, 2 Small White & 2 Small Copper yesterday.

Also 7 Common Darters, 3 Willow Emerald Damselflies.

Quiet for birds but 3 Little Egrets, 3 Red Kites, Sparrowhawk & Kestrel the best.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A very fresh looking American Painted Lady photographed on the Isles of Scilly yesterday. Photos on one of the Facebook butterfly groups
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:21 amA very fresh looking American Painted Lady photographed on the Isles of Scilly yesterday. Photos on one of the Facebook butterfly groups
Indeed, Paul. Gleaming fresh:
F9S_OvwXAAAeltm.jpg
F9S_Rk8XUAIe4FQ.jpg
https://twitter.com/berrowbirder
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wow - that is a gorgeous butterfly. :) It looks brand new - could it be locally hatched, as I heard several have been seen on the islands and could therefore perhaps be progeny of a single female that arrived unnoticed a couple of months ago? On the other hand, I suppose the fact that migrating butterflies suffer little damage on their long journeys means it is just as likely to have arrived from elsewhere.

I had to content myself with one or two of its close(ish) relatives today...
RA1 261023.JPG
...and a few other completely unrelated species.
CB1 261023.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:34 pm
bugboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:21 amA very fresh looking American Painted Lady photographed on the Isles of Scilly yesterday. Photos on one of the Facebook butterfly groups

F9S_OvwXAAAeltm.jpg

F9S_Rk8XUAIe4FQ.jpg

Unless someone comes forward admitting a release, could this be a first time breeding on UK soil.... there's been a tiny glut of sightings down there recently :shock:
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

bugboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:39 pm

F9S_OvwXAAAeltm.jpg

F9S_Rk8XUAIe4FQ.jpg

Unless someone comes forward admitting a release, could this be a first time breeding on UK soil.... there's been a tiny glut of sightings down there recently :shock:
I thought the first (recent) record was only a week or so back, so this is hardly likely to be progeny from that. We've seen before how many of these migrants get here in good form.

Personally I'd expect this to be a primary migrant. Doubt it's a release (though impossible to prove one way or the other) with a good supporting cast of the second ever arrival of Green Darners & some American passerines
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 26th : Two more Red Admirals in a sheltered section on the gym car park on my estate. Seems to be a popular spot for them.
millerd

Post by millerd »

During a brief sunny gap at lunchtime today (27th) on my local patch, a Small White, a Speckled Wood, two Red Admirals and two Holly Blues appeared. The female Holly was nectaring near the top of one of the ivy clumps...
HB2 271023.JPG
...but the male was initially doing the same more accessibly down on a dandelion.
HB3 271023.JPG
When the sun came out strongly for a few minutes, it relocated to the nettles and basked instead.
HB1 271023.JPG
Both these butterflies looked pretty fresh, so fingers crossed for a few November sightings again this year... :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

aeshna5 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:37 am
bugboy wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:39 pm

F9S_OvwXAAAeltm.jpg

F9S_Rk8XUAIe4FQ.jpg

I thought the first (recent) record was only a week or so back, so this is hardly likely to be progeny from that. We've seen before how many of these migrants get here in good form.

Personally I'd expect this to be a primary migrant. Doubt it's a release (though impossible to prove one way or the other) with a good supporting cast of the second ever arrival of Green Darners & some American passerines
No but apparently 5 have turned up in the same general area in a short space of time (leading to the quick calls of release from the usual quarters). Its perfectly feasible for a gravid female to have arrived unnoticed a month ago and found some suitable foodplant. One was photographed in september last year in Cornwall so the timings at least look good for a homegrown event, I don't think it can be ruled out so easily without more facts. E.g., were all the sightings definitely different individuals, is there any suitable foodplant on the islands, is there a correlation on weather patterns that could explain their arrival either now or a gravid female 30-40 days ago?
millerd

Post by millerd »

bugboy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:34 pm ...is there a correlation on weather patterns that could explain their arrival either now or a gravid female 30-40 days ago?
Looking back, the unprecedented September heatwave started during the first week of that month, which is about six or so weeks ago. Part of the weather picture then involved a strong very warm southerly flow. In addition, ex-Hurricane Franklin (which had crossed Bermuda a few days earlier) was likely contributing to this setup as well. Though not the ideal scenario for whisking butterflies from the east coast of North America, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility. There is also the (perhaps more straightforward) route from the Canaries, where this species can also be found.

At the present time, the air over the southern UK is a returning polar maritime flow, i.e. originating far to the northwest, dipping south over the Atlantic and arriving here from the southwest. To me that doesn't feel quite right for bringing the butterfly, but if other species of insect and birds of North American origin have been seen, then it can in no way be ruled out.

All speculation... :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another brief window of sunshine today (28th), this time between heavy showers. I took the opportunity to head out locally once again and was rewarded with something I'd waited all summer to see. To start off, the first Red Admiral I saw was newly emerged and still slightly floppy of wing.
RA1 281023.JPG
Next came the first of four Speckled Woods...
SpW1 281023.JPG
...followed by a Small White.
SW1 281023.JPG
I checked in on the Small Copper I've been following...
SC1 281023.JPG
...and on one of the Common Blues I've also encountered before.
CB1 281023.JPG
However, just as I bid the Small Copper au revoir, straight past me flew a yellow blur. This was my first (and probably only) Clouded Yellow of the year anywhere at all, a female.
CY1 281023.JPG
Six species for the day, 14 for my local patch for this month and 25 here for the year. :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:38 pm...Six species for the day..
Impressive, Dave, especially given that one of them was a Clouded Yellow. :mrgreen:
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 29th - Two Red Admirals active around an unusual looking plant (if anyone knows what it is I'd love to hear it) on the sheltered side of the gym car park on the estate where I live.

There are a small number that seem to have set up home here this last week. It'll be interesting to see how long they stick around:
29S.RedAdm(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

On the edge of a pool of sunshine this morning (30th) - it looked much sunnier a few miles to the north... :( However, it was bright and warm enough for a female Red Admiral to continue laying her load of eggs on the abundant young nettles on my local patch. In the first shot you can see her abdomen angled down...
RA1 301023.JPG
...and unusually instead of immediately moving on to the next plant, she sat and basked in situ.
RA2 301023.JPG
When she finally flew off, this is what she left behind.
RA egg1 301023.JPG
Also seen today were a Small White and another Red Admiral, both in flight over the village, and out on the grassland a single Common Blue remained.
CB1 301023.JPG
I reminded myself that the final sighting of this species last year was on 13th November, so this one has a way to go yet!

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like the Scilly Isles is the place to be at the moment with 2 more very fresh American Painted Ladies in recent days. Personally I find it hard to believe a glut of very fresh vagrants turning up close together via a crossing so my moneys on either a release or a successful breeding from an earlier gravid female making landfall. The milder autumns were getting used to obviously making a successful breeding more likely than 10 or 20 years ago.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello David ,
Your plant is Himalayan Honeysuckle ..................forgotten the latin name . Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

bugboy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:53 pm Looks like the Scilly Isles is the place to be at the moment with 2 more very fresh American Painted Ladies in recent days. Personally I find it hard to believe a glut of very fresh vagrants turning up close together via a crossing so my moneys on either a release or a successful breeding from an earlier gravid female making landfall. The milder autumns were getting used to obviously making a successful breeding more likely than 10 or 20 years ago.
I'm with you there, Paul. Releasing a species in this location would require a fair bit of extra effort and planning, so I lean towards the "offspring of migrant gravid female" theory as I suggested earlier in this thread. The foodplant is something called Jersey Cudweed (Pseudognaphalium luteoalbum), which can be found all over the world, including the UK. It would be good if someone on the islands at the moment could spend a bit of time searching it out - though perhaps not for a few days with some highly rough weather expected!

Cheers,

Dave
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

It occurs on the islands - https://plantatlas2020.org/atlas/2cd4p9h.cks6rf - but whether it is abundant enough there to support a butterfly population or not I have no idea.

3 species today in N Somerset - Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, and a white/Brimstone glimpsed at a distance.

Return to “Sightings”