millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: millerd

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:47 pm...and not even a much hoped-for Clouded Yellow or two (they all appear to have headed for South Wales this year!
Seems like it, Dave, although you'll have the luxury of Long-Tailed Blues all to yourself! :mrgreen:
millerd

Post by millerd »

She was a splendid butterfly, Wurzel - I do have a soft spot for female blues... :) (And I thought you'd like that Small White, especially now you know what a real Southern one looks like! :) )

It's true that the south coast is currently blessed with good numbers of LTB, David, but I'm still waiting to see a Cloudie this year, so remain :mrgreen: of your sighting. :)

4th September was the first of the extraordinary run of 30 degree September days, and also clocked up eleven hours of sunshine locally. I found 13 species of butterfly today, but the combination of heat and sun made them very tricky and many (like this Holly Blue) were at the end of their summer broods.
HB1 040923.JPG
A female Large White approachable enough to photograph was unusual...
LW2 040923.JPG
LW1 040923.JPG
...and this Comma and Speckled Wood were new...
Comma1 040923.JPG
SpW1 040923.JPG
...and this Small Copper not far off it.
SC1 040923.JPG
Red Admiral numbers were low, but still ticking over, and I watched this one in partial shade which had found something of interest on this tree.
RA1 040923.JPG
RA2 040923.JPG
RA3 040923.JPG
The hot spell (including a series of really warm nights) meant fewer outings, even locally - which may mean I get to catch up this diary a bit more quickly of course! :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see you today Dave. That was quite a party!
Some exceptional butterflies and a friendly group of people.
Needed to pinch myself to remind me it is October. And there's
the retail trade trying to get us in the festive mood with the sun shining and 24c!
millerd

Post by millerd »

trevor wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:49 pm Good to see you today Dave. That was quite a party!
Some exceptional butterflies and a friendly group of people.
Good to see you too, Trevor, and everyone else as well. Here's a shot which sums up very well what an enjoyable outing it was! :)
Lancing LTB group.JPG
I'll get round to a full post about the day at some point, but here's a taster of what everyone was looking at...
LTB pair5 081023.JPG
Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Your group shot is an excellent souvenir of a great day!
Something to look back on. Great mating pair shot too.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Trevor. :) It does make a good souvenir! Very natural, with no one posing for the shot. If you zoom right in, it is even possible to make out the grey blur that is those two butterflies... :lol:

Anyway, back to the timeline of my diary, stuck about a month behind on 6th September. It was warm and sunny back then too - actually stupidly hot and sunny, with it reaching 32 degrees locally. Having not gone out the previous day, I had a bit of a walk, but the butterflies looked as uncomfortable as I felt, and largely tucked themselves away. However, it's always possible to find a Red Admiral or two this year...
RA1 060923.JPG
RA2 060923.JPG
Also appearing happier than some with the heat were a selection of Small Heaths.
SH1 060923.JPG
I did have to look hard to find Holly Blues, but there were a few females in the shade of the ivy carefully seeking out the growing flower buds and laying an egg or two before resting half in and half out of the sun.
HB1 060923.JPG
HB2 060923.JPG
HB3 060923.JPG
HB4 060923.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

9th September turned out to be the hottest day of the year (and also the warmest 9th September on record), reaching over 33 degrees. The series of hot days and very warm nights had made things uncomfortable indoors at home, so in the end I ventured out onto my local patch again. Curiously I found more to photograph than I had three days before.
SW2 090923.JPG
SpW3 090923.JPG
SH4 090923.JPG
PK1 090923.JPG
SW1 090923.JPG
SpW1 090923.JPG
MB1 090923.JPG
GVW1 090923.JPG
Comma1 090923.JPG
I had another try at catching a Small Heath in flight.
SH2 090923.JPG
Second brood Common Blues a month ago were rather more ragged than those of the third brood seen today...
CB2 090923.JPG
...though the Small Coppers look remarkably similar.
SC1 090923.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking open wing Small Heath Dave :D That was me girding my loins before mentioning the envy inducing LTB in cop shot :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And these :mrgreen: count double as I had to type them in as my iPad doesn’t put them quick links in the correct place :roll:
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - one day I may actually get a close in-focus open-wing Small Heath. A nice fresh one, of course... :)

There are more LTBs to come - a few posts ahead, though. They are getting closer to you these days - they've been seen in Hampshire this year. :)

On 10th September, I ventured down to Denbies again, reasoning that it wouldn't be long before the slopes were bereft of butterflies until next spring. There was always the chance of a Clouded Yellow too: there have been very few years when I haven't seen the species here. However...

I was right in thinking that there wouldn't be much left now. There were Meadow Browns (though not as many as are often left at this time of year) and Small Heaths.
SH1 100923.JPG
There were still a few Blues - mostly Adonis, but the odd Chalkhill remained too.
ChB1 100923.JPG
Even the Adonis were almost universally very worn now...
AB6 100923.JPG
...but one individual (a late emerger I suppose) bucked the trend. Luckily, it was happy to allow a whole series of shots and I can't resist obliging the species in these circumstances.
AB2 100923.JPG
AB5 100923.JPG
AB3 100923.JPG
AB4 100923.JPG
AB1 100923.JPG
Aside from some weary Brown Argus and female blues too worn to easily identify (and mostly tucked down in the grass laying when they were spotted), that was about it. Another check along the bottom hedge for signs of LTB on the BLEP proved negative.

A definite end of season feel here, at odds with the hot sunshine really.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

11th September was another very warm and mostly sunny day, reaching 27 degrees locally. My usual walk revealed 13 different species and a respectable overall total of around 80 butterflies (though Small Whites accounted for 30 of these - there appeared to have been a sizeable emergence round here).

This is the time of year when the second broods of lycaenid species tend to fade out, but as third broods are a common feature in these parts, I'm never quite sure which are actually which. The worn...
BA1 110923.JPG
SC2 110923.JPG
SC5 110923.JPG
...and not so worn.
BA2 110923.JPG
SC1 110923.JPG
SC4 110923.JPG
More of today's variety:
Comma1 110923.JPG
SpW1 110923.JPG
SH1 110923.JPG
In amongst all the Small Whites...
SW2 110923.JPG
...were a few Green-veined...
GVW1 110923.JPG
..and unusually I squeezed one of each into a frame.
GVW+SW 110923.JPG
However, the latter species provided the more interesting shots, with a pairing involving a very lemony fresh female.
the female was left dangling, but they relocated...
the female was left dangling, but they relocated...
...to a more mutually comfortable spot
...to a more mutually comfortable spot
I also couldn't ignore a particularly large and fresh Red Admiral. It seemed to have been the first to discover that the newly-opened ivy flowers provided better nectar than the last of the buddleia ones.
RA2 110923.JPG
RA3 110923.JPG
RA4 110923.JPG
For some context, here is a habitat shot of an area where Small Coppers, Brown Argus and Common Blues are regularly found together. I'd say harmoniously, but in fact when all three are around they constantly squabble.
view.JPG
Though the trees here are beginning to show the first signs of autumn colours, a month later they didn't look a lot different - I think autumn was paused this year... :)

One last thing - this is what the Box Tree moth can do to a (neighbour's) carefully manicured hedge...
box hedge.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great looking Adonis Dave:mrgreen:
The contrast in the underwings in those Green-veined Whites is quite stunning - I’d not twigged that they could be so markedly different as I usually see them individually:shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel! :) It was surprising to find such a fresh Adonis so late -it did rather stand out amongst its fellows...

Green-veined Whites are a much-underrated butterfly in my book, especially when new, and the following day I encountered another.

12th September was not quite as warm (only 24 degrees), and the sun barely came out at all. I saw fewer butterflies on my local patch as a consequence, but one of them was, as mentioned, a fresh female GVW. It was difficult to approach, then when I did get closer, it shut its wings. In the end, with a bit of patience and perseverance, I ended up with a variety of shots.
GVW1 120923.JPG
GVW3 120923.JPG
GVW2 120923.JPG
GVW4 120923.JPG
I only saw two Commas today, but they were sitting close together.
Commax2 120923.JPG
One stayed open-winged...
Comma1 120923.JPG
...but the other shut up shop and displayed its dark mottled-green winter plumage.
Comma2 120923.JPG
A Large White stayed still while nectaring for once...
LW1 120923.JPG
...and inevitably a Red Admiral struck a good pose.
RA2 120923.JPG
Small Whites and Speckled Woods were the only other butterflies to show their faces, but I did find this attractive moth which (as usual) I cannot put a name to... :)
moth 120923.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your mystery moth is a Light Emerald. They are actually green(ish) to start off with but fade to the off white after a few days.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Green-veined White again Dave - really well marked that one it could give the more exotic continental Whites a run for their money :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:05 pm...Green-veined Whites are a much-underrated butterfly in my book, especially when new...
Absolutely! Haven't seen too many this latter half of the year but yours is a near-impeccable example of an understatedly beautiful butterfly.

Thanks too, Bugboy, for explaining how the colour in the Light Emerald fades out so quickly. You learn something new every day!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks for the moth ID, Paul - it didn't occur to me that it might be an emerald! I do see them here occasionally, but obviously I've only met fresher ones before. :)

Cheers Wurzel and David. I like to get shots of fresh GVWs when I find them in both spring and summer broods - the two are markedly different and both broods can be stunning when new. It's good to see you are both fans of the species too. :)

My next outing was local again on 14th September, when once again it was 24 degrees but today the sun shone all day. I did one of my periodic counts today and ended up with the highest total for the month: 82 butterflies of 13 species. The tally looked like this:

Small White 22
Speckled Wood 14
Comma 8
Red Admiral 8
GVW 6
Small Heath 5
Meadow Brown 4
Brown Argus 4
Small Copper 3
Large White 3
Holly Blue 2
Common Blue 2
Brimstone 1

Brimstones rarely appear this late in the year, and no doubt the heat had woken a few up.
BR1 140923.JPG
A selection from the rest...
BA1 140923.JPG
CB1 140923.JPG
SC2 140923.JPG
Comma1 140923.JPG
Comma2 140923.JPG
Then there were the Red Admirals. A number of the species did not migrate northwards in July, but stayed and produced offspring. This new cadre were now setting up territories in the usual spots, and I chanced to stop in the middle of one. The inevitable happened and the owner landed on me and became difficult to shift. I took advantage by taking a series of shots at varying angles to the light, producing subtle variations in colour of this butterfly's already fantastic underside patterning.
RA5 140923.JPG
RA1 140923.JPG
RA2 140923.JPG
RA3 140923.JPG
In the end, the butterfly was persuaded to perch in a more natural position.
RA4 140923.JPG
A bit further on, I found another making a tree its vantage point in the manner of a Grayling.
RA6 140923.JPG
RA8 140923.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

15th September was a similar sort of day - sunny and very warm again. With plenty to see locally, it seemed pointless really to struggle with the M25 and go to any of the other relatively close downland sites where I'd probably not see much at all. Here is a mix of what was out and about...
SpW1 150923.JPG
SH1 150923.JPG
SC2 150923.JPG
LW2 150923.JPG
BA3 150923.JPG
CB3 150923.JPG
GVW2 150923.JPG
Probably the most interesting sight was this resting Hummingbird Hawk Moth, which looked quite fresh. Amazing-looking tail-end bristles!
HBHM1 1510923.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It seemed to be a good year for HBHMs Dave and they also chose to have a bit of rest a fair bit as well :D Lovely intimate views of the Admiral - to get him off you would have needed someone to have called “Come in number 68 your time is up!” :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

You're right Wurzel - I've seen Hummers around in several spots, including that day at Shipton B. However, all my shots this year have been of resting insects.

Over the years, I've had far more Red Admirals land on me than any other butterfly. They seem to show no fear and will persistently buzz you if you deliberately stand in the middle of their patch. Thoroughly entertaining! :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

With more warm sunshine threatened, on 16th September I decided it was time to visit the Sussex coast where by all accounts it was not possible to avoid seeing a Long-tailed Blue at the moment. :) However, I made more of a targeted approach and headed initially for the Tidemills car park on the A259 between Newhaven and Seaford.

As I stepped out of the car after a surprisingly easy journey, who should be walking purposefully past but Bugboy, no doubt on a similar mission. It turned out that Paul had just been up the road to the bus stop on the Buckle bypass where he had found a female LTB laying on the BLEP that flourishes in this unlikely spot. He intended to head the other way know and look at Tidemills and the Newhaven area before heading for Brighton.

I elected to make the most of a definite potential sighting and wander off to the bus stop before doing anything else. This was a good move as it happens, as I didn't see any other LTB that day, but the female Paul had found was clearly not going anywhere while she still had eggs to lay. She was a bit worn now, but still made a good subject and was my first female LTB seen with wings open. I did take a few underside shots as well.
LTB6 160923.JPG
LTB9 160923.JPG
LTB1 160923.JPG
LTB2 160923.JPG
LTB10 160923.JPG
LTB11 160923.JPG
LTB3 160923.JPG
This looked to me like a vacated egg...
LTB egg 160923.jpg
...and this looks as if it could be the holes created by a larva entering a flower bud.
larval entry hole.JPG
After a while with this butterfly, I set off back down to look around Tidemills, but found virtually no butterflies at all of any kind. The next port of call was the other way - up on the Downs behind Seaford at High & Over.

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”