Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Martin Down certainly does alright in terms of quality and quantity but I think the site that's produced the largest number on one day is 26 I think from Durlston? We missed Clouded Yellow and Grayling else it could have been even better! :shock:
Cheers Dave :D It's a great sight and the few species it lacks compared to say Sidbury or Cotley is more than makes up for in terms of numbers and ease of working :D 8)
Cheers Goldie :D I reckon that 2024 will be the year of the Cloudy AND the Grizzlie for you, fingers crossed! :wink: :D

October 2023

Here's hoping the 'mellow fruitfulness' of the season also applies to the butterfly sightings too! :wink:
10 Oct 23.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 23-07-2023

With the variable weather fast approaching – a shift in the Jet Stream which would ultimately plague us for most of the holiday it seemed I decided to take a look over at Shipton whilst things were still reasonable. I arrived earlier than the 11am start to the ‘golden hours’ to scout the place out. As I’d parked on the other side of the main hedge I wandered through to the little sheltered spot with the main road behind. Hedgies, Whites and Meadow Browns were all about enjoying the sun when it deigned to poke its head out of the clouds. From here I headed up to the Nettle Bed and I started seeing really good numbers of Red Admiral and slightly fewer, but still plenty of, Commas. Up along the other track a Holly Blue went past and a Ringlet which was still in good nick popped up. The main thing I was aware of was that the Brambles were alive with Red Admirals more than I’d ever seen at on time.
23-07-2023 1.JPG
23-07-2023 2.JPG
23-07-2023 3.JPG
Having gotten to the end of the track relatively unscathed I started back the way that I’d come but this time joined by a fellow enthusiast. I’m terrible with names but I saw I’d meet this bloke a couple of times here before so until I meet him again he’s generally known as Scorpio, after the tattoo on his neck WINK. We were joined by his black Labrador who behaved impeccably throughout the visit, plodding alongside his owner and not once disturbing anything – brilliant. As we’re walking and ducking and diving along the narrower parts of the track the butterflies were all about; mainly Red Admirals and a few Peacocks but a nice looking Large White and a Silver-washed fell under my lens. Alas no Brostreak showed which was slightly disheartening as this is usually the best spot on the whole site for the vanguard of the species.
23-07-2023 4.JPG
23-07-2023 5.JPG
Because of this we worked our way back and then set off to investigate other spots of the site – taking the tunnel like track up to and then turning right at the Cross Tracks along the main track to the Main Hedge past the Master Tree (which seems to be fighting Chalara off quite successfully). Along the way the usual fare flew; Whites of various description, Brimstones and the Browns were represented by both Meadow and Hedge. Notable sightings along this part of the walk were a pair of Hedgies in cop but also an ‘attempted mating’ between a Meadow Brown and a Hedge Brown. The Meadow Brown flew in, landed and then attempted to reverse into a female Hedgie. She wasn’t having any of it but stood her ground and so the sort of sat there and I couldn’t decide whether it looked embarrassed or if it was sulking? Either way it was provided a nice opportunity to compare the species for identification purposes. Now if I could just find the opposite…Also of note was a White-legged Damselfly which I’d not seen here before.
23-07-2023 6.JPG
23-07-2023 7.JPG
23-07-2023 8.JPG
23-07-2023 9.JPG
23-07-2023 10.JPG
We then made our way down the main hedge with more of the same butterfly wise but with the addition of a lovely Peacock and more Red Admirals now we were back out in the sun. There was also the world’s smallest Meadow Brown – no larger than a Holly Blue! It was a bit of a shame the camera couldn’t catch the actual scale. As we moved down there were some nice Brimstones and then it was a case of once more to the Nettle Beds. My companion took his very well behaved dog (so well behaved I almost forgot that it was with us) on homewards and I hung around the Nettle Bed to have my lunch as I was convinced that should a Brostreak turn up this would be the place that it would happen. Silver-washed, Commas and a Holly Blue or two fluttered past me while I ate once again confirming the observation that stuff always turns up when my cheeks are burning!
23-07-2023 11.JPG
23-07-2023 12.JPG
23-07-2023 13.JPG
23-07-2023 14.JPG
Finally decided to call it quits after one last walk up other side of the track round the Nettle Beds. With the end of the track in sight I cast my gaze over another stand of Creeping Thistles and boom- there was a familiar looking profile. They’re like Houdini in reverse – piff paff puff and there they are! I spent a bit of time with it as it pirouetted around the top of the creeping thistle. It was stunning and to my mind there is nothing to quite match the underside markings giving it the look of one of the most exotic looking butterflies in the UK to my mind. I always find them such a calming influence as they move serenely and patiently around the flower tops and as I watched I felt my pulse drop and my breathing slow and deepen. All too quickly my meditative state was halted as it fluttered off to do Hairstreak business like trying to find a female to mate with or another male to beat up. As it went my internal jukebox switched from Barber’s Adagio for Strings to Rammstein’s ‘Du Hast’!
23-07-2023 15.JPG
23-07-2023 16.JPG
23-07-2023 17.JPG
23-07-2023 18.JPG
23-07-2023 19.JPG
After finding my Hairstreak I decided to check out Main Hedge. On the walk round I picked up some aged Smessex on the way whilst some local hoons were filming a yellow hot hatch rally driving around the field. Now it was a case of up the Hedge and then down the Hedge before heading for home. On the way up there were plenty of Red Admirals and Hedgies. Meadow Browns would fly out from the margins and zoom away across the field whilst Holly Blues tripped along the tops of the trees. There were several Commas about and a peachy Painted Lady flew past at about the half way point, never to be seen again. At the far end a Holly Blue was taking salts from the edge of a puddle but it refused to sit still for its photo. Along the Hedge on the final pass I couldn’t find another Hairstreak so instead settled for trying to record the variation in the Commas that were now starting to hang about on the flowers rather than feeding up high. Right at the very end I was joined by a ragged Small Copper and a fresh out of the box Brown Argus. A cracking little visit and only two species away from my first ever 50 species in a year.
23-07-2023 20.JPG
23-07-2023 21.JPG
23-07-2023 22.JPG
23-07-2023 23.JPG
Houdini Hairstreak
First it’s not there then it is
A calming power

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I saw your male BH shots on farcebook earlier, there's no mrgreen on there
so here's one each for the two middle shots above. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I had to walk almost the entire site for those shots and unfortunately the man and his dog that accompanied me missed out :?

Alners Gorse 25-07-2023
(Part 1)
I picked Philzoid up and with Killers playing very quietly on the radio we drove over via Shaftesbury and down through Sturminster heading for Alners Gorse chatting away about this and that and the likelihood of getting all three Hairstreaks or a Valesina or all of em! Eventually, with a little light rally driving and some hasty consultation of Satnav due to a road closure we arrived and there was just enough space on the verge for the car. Gear sorted we set off down track, the sun shining and only the gentlest of breezes playing over the tops of the taller trees bordering the path on ether side. I was itching to get going as I knew that the Hairstreaks here get up early but on the way some nice ‘stuff’ slowed our progress somewhat. The best of this stuff was practically the first butterfly seen, an aberrant Small Copper. It would have been a right looker a week or so back but now it was a little torn and ragged around the edges and there was some scale damage on the hind wing. None the less it was still worthy of our time as the orange on the fore wings was very sparse and instead of an orange background with black spots it had a brown background with black and orange spots. The rest of the ‘stuff’ was made up of Peacocks, Green-veined Whites, various Hedgies and Meadow Browns, a Holly Blue and a Southern Hawker.
25-07-2023 1.JPG
25-07-2023 2.JPG
25-07-2023 3.JPG
25-07-2023 4.JPG
At the bottom of the hill we turned left and rounded the corner to be greeted by a Red Admiral and then another further along the hedge. Slightly further on there were a few people hanging about and craning their necks upwards – classic Hairstreak spotting posture and as we drew near we could see that there were a few Whitters about, some even coming down into lens range. There were a little faded and some were torn up but when it comes to Whitters you take what you can get, or at least I do as I don’t always get to photograph them. In between stepping in for a few shots and retreating I got talking to some of the others one of whom turned out to be Bob Wiltshire, it’s always good to put a face to the name that you see on Face-the-book. A White Admiral zoomed past and a Purple Hairstreak passed over I we migrated on through the gate and into the little field in the corner of the reserve. There were a couple more Whitters here as well as a few Ringlets, an H.Comma and a very aggressive Specklie which attacked everything that flew within a 5m radius of its perch. Also here was Brian Seaman so again I broke off from avid butterflying for a bit of a chat.
25-07-2023 5.JPG
25-07-2023 6.JPG
25-07-2023 7.JPG
25-07-2023 8.JPG
25-07-2023 9.JPG
Phlizoid headed off to check out the Purple Hairstreak bush and I wandered back along the hedge checking out a few more Whitters – one of which was actually in fine fettle with tails streaming out behind it. A Southern Hawker was also resting up in one of the slight cloudy spells and after a few shots I walked back thought eh small field and on looking for a tree that needed a bit of extra Nitrogen only for Brian to call me back as he’d spotted a male Brostreak. It was down at slightly lower than waist height feeding away oblivious to all the fuss going on around it. As it twirled around its dinner it opened up occasionally showing off the deep chocolate brown uppers with the slightest flashes of pale orange. It was a gorgeous butterfly and luckily Philzoid had heard my calls so he was able to get in on it too. So all three Hairstreaks seen and 2 out of three photographed – not a bad start! After too short a time it flew up and over into the back, and inaccessible, part of the Bramble so we waited for a while to see if it would return…
25-07-2023 10.JPG
25-07-2023 11.JPG
25-07-2023 12.JPG
25-07-2023 12a.JPG
25-07-2023 13.JPG
25-07-2023 14.JPG
…it didn’t and so thanking Brian we pressed on, hugging the edge of the reserve, though into the next clearing. As we came out from under the low hanging branches I spotted another Brostreak, another male and so I got to return the compliment and put Brian onto a Brosteak. This one hung around for much longer although it would make short flights away from the clump of Creeping Thistles in the centre of the clearing before doubling back, the call of the nectar possibly being too great. As well as hanging around for longer this one also opened up more, and further although one of my favourite shots is when it was only just opening up and the light glistened like glitter across the fresh hindwings.
25-07-2023 15.JPG
25-07-2023 16.JPG
25-07-2023 17.JPG
25-07-2023 18.JPG
25-07-2023 19.JPG
25-07-2023 20.JPG
We left him with the others and headed off to the ‘Purple Hairstreak tree’. Which species it is I can’t remember (I want to say Mulberry but I’m sure it’s not that one) but in case anyone visits next season it’s near the gate to Hut wood standing part from the hedge at the bottom of one of the tracks across the site. Unfortunately there weren’t any here this time but there were two Purps down quite low on the main hedge itself just before the gate. This was almost exactly the same place that I saw my first for the year a few weeks before and I couldn’t help but wonder if one of them was in fact the same one that I’d photographed back then? Either way once there were a few images on the memory card it was ‘job done’; all three Hairstreaks bagged and tagged in a morning! While we waited and clicked away occasionally I spotted three more Purps much higher up at the top of the hedge but these didn’t deign to lower themselves to our level.
25-07-2023 21.JPG
25-07-2023 22.JPG
25-07-2023 23.JPG
25-07-2023 24.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alners Gorse 25-07-2023 Part 2

So with all three Hairstreaks in the bag what was next on the ‘wish list’ that we’d discussed on the drive down? A Valesina of course and so to this end we left the diamond of the reserve and walked through the cleared area near the Hut. The open area was bathed in light and the flowers were making the most of it, forming a smattering of colourful clumps scattered across the almost uniformly grey ground. A trip of Bullfinches passed by, their soft plaintive whistles attracting my attention in their direction whilst at ground level various butterflies popped up, the odd Brimstone and a Purp flew up from one flower clump before we had an opportunity to capture it. Both male and female Silver-washed put in an appearance, the later bimbling about on the Fleabane and a pair of Hedgies did their bit to maintain the gene pool.
25-07-2023 25.JPG
25-07-2023 26.JPG
We then walked back into the shade and followed the path along towards the Banks, emerging once more into the strong sun as we rounded the corner of the large Bramble bush. It was much quieter than on my first visit with only a couple a piece of Silver-washed and a sole Marbled White but a Holly Blue was an addition that hadn’t been here before. Despite scanning eagerly and having a bit of a walk further along the hedge to check out the more shaded areas we didn’t have any luck with our search for a Valesina so we retraced our steps and started back along the shaded woodland track towards the reserve proper. We’d only gone a few paces along said track when something large and grey in appearance went up from the path. It was a Valesina. She was gracious enough to start with moving up from the path to perch on some foliage on the verge where she stayed for about 5 minutes. However the sun was shining on her strongly and she took off and flew deeper all three and then deeper and then deeper still into the surrounding wood, heading back to the shade once she was suitably warmed from her basking. We tried following her some of the way in but it was hard going and after the second time that she went up we could only watch as further progress was barred by barbed wire.
25-07-2023 27.JPG
25-07-2023 28.JPG
25-07-2023 29.JPG
After this, yet another success, we retraced our route back along the path, across the clearing and past the Hut to the hedge just beyond the gate. Things had noticeably warmed up so only the occasional butterfly would stop. One surprising butterfly that had decided to tarry was a Large White which had a split right the way along one of the main veins in it forewing. There were a few of the other Whites around as well as Hedgies in pretty much every direction we’d look. Back at the Purp Hedge there were two Purps – probably the same two as earlierso we again set up camp for a short while and made the most of this often elusive quarry posing so nicely.
25-07-2023 30.JPG
25-07-2023 31.JPG
25-07-2023 32.JPG
25-07-2023 33.JPG
From here we continued ‘backtracking’ arriving back at the small clearing where I’d found the second Brostreak. Another couple of Butterfliers were already here, looking along the hedge as the butterfly was up high. After flitting about and messing about up high it finally drifted down. At first I thought that it would descend to a certain altitude before gliding across to the patch of Creeping Thistles but it didn’t. It just kept on coming downright to ground level and the lowest spring of Bramble possibly across the whole reserve. This meant that getting the classic side-on profile shot wouldn’t be easy as you’d have to lie flat on the deck but as luck would have it did eventually move back to a more appropriate level and the thistles in the middle. On closer examination it looked to be a different individual to Number 2, no nick at the top of the hind wing and the streak here ‘ran’ slightly forming a patch of scale lighter than the rest of the ground colour.
25-07-2023 34.JPG
25-07-2023 35.JPG
25-07-2023 36.JPG
Around the back of the inner side of the clearing the hedge ran down and back in a right angle almost to the main hedge where the Whitters had flown earlier so Philzoid and I took to strolling along the length here. It was obviously producing the Brostreaks, or at least something, as there were about 8 or 9people here including Bob and the tall chap with the massive dog that I’d bumped into at Compton Down when looking for Glannies earlier in the year. The odd Meadow Brown or Hedgie did the occasionally fly-by distracting us from our detailed search of the hedge but when we’d almost reached the end I watched a small butterfly as it bumbled about up high. It remained aloft but perched and by standing on the balls of my feet and stretching my camera out as far ahead as possible I was able to get enough of a record shot to confirm it as a Brostreak, and a female to boot. Another butterfly detached itself from the same tree and I watched as it drifted down. It took what felt like and age as it fell like a dead leaf, sweeping this way and then that but I kept a close eye on it throughout its descent despite a considerable crick in my neck caused by craning it in odd angles to keep vgil on the butterfly. Eventually it landed to feed on the Bramble flowers by my feet. It was now that I made my mistake as I called out too soon and ended up having to scrabble round the outside while the other butterfliers somehow managed to get into much better positions. Still I managed one or six shots before essentially being squeezed out as a few more people joined the throng. In the end we left the butterfly to the ‘pack’ and began the trek back up the hill, tired but elated.
25-07-2023 37.JPG
25-07-2023 38.JPG
25-07-2023 39.JPG
25-07-2023 40.JPG
25-07-2023 41.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's quite a haul from Alner's Gorse, Wurzel. Anywhere with three types of hairstreak queuing up to be photographed and where you can pretty well guarantee a valesina SWF has to be a bit special... :) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Tis a pity it's really tricky to get to from up here with it being tucked away in the wilds of Dorset - but worth the effort by the look of it. Some great shots in there, especially of the Brown Hairstreaks. They seem to have had an excellent year everywhere - I wonder what aspect of the peculiar weather we've had has suited them? :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Alners is well worth an expedition too just make sure that you take plenty of supplies :wink: lol
In all serious ness if you want to visit next year I could drive us from Salisbury? The thing with it is that the site is so small that it’s really easy to work and all the different micro habitats offer a great range of species :D It’s also quite close to some other cracking sites :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, that Dragon Fly would make a great parrot :lol: You've certainly seen more than I have this year, not to worry though, hope fully next year will be better, lovely calendar ,I look forward to your Calendars , but aren't the months going quickly and nights getting shorter. Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Congrats on your fruitful visit to Alners Gorse. 3x Hairstreak species on one site
would be a struggle elsewhere. Some of your shots are very mrgreen worthy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Must visit Alners one day!

Great stuff,
Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some cracking reports from Alners Gorse Wurzel with some great photos, especially the hairstreaks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (one for each species)

I remember having a drive there a few years back when we were stopping down by Weymouth. It was too late in the year for the hairstreaks but I do remember seeing a couple of Clouded Yellows on a large patch of fleabane.

Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Good idea about the Parrot/dragonfly it would be a hell of a lot lighter and I wouldn't be worried about losing me ear or getting guano down my back :roll: :lol: :lol: I was going for it this year as I'd set myself a target of 50 species in the year...I'd reached 48 by this stage :wink: :D
Cheers Trevor :D Maybe next year you could visit? I've offered to give Dave a lift from Salisbury so that leaves seat free (maybe two if Philzoid can't make it)? :D This could be a dry run for my retirement side hustle - I'm thinking of calling myself Greener Wings :wink: :lol:
Cheers Neil :D I saw my first ever Cloudy there Neil :D It really is a brilliant site bu I've yet to visit in the spring...maybe next year :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alners Gorse Part 3...well Martin Down really :wink:

Once we were refreshed we debated what to do next. We’d stayed a little too long to carry on South and try Lulworth so our options were to head back down the hill or pack up and call in briefly at Martin Down on the way home. The latter won out as we didn’t reckon that we’d find much new stuff and so we set off. The drive passed by quickly as we chatted and before too long we were bumping across the terrible surface of the main car park. Grabbing our gear we set off down the track towards the Butts. A Common Blue was something of an oddity on the first stretch of the track with its high hedges on either side its normally a Holly Blue that I see here but the Red Admiral was a more usual sighting. When the path opened up, with the fields on either side we started seeing Chalkhills; a brace to start with, and a Common Blue nearby as an extra. One of the Chlakhills had very thick margins and the spots on the hind wing seemed slightly elongated with hints of orange in them. The other had more normal margins but the orange spots were more noticeable.
25-07-2023 42.JPG
25-07-2023 43.JPG
25-07-2023 44.JPG
25-07-2023 45.JPG
As we walked on we notched up a further 6 Chalkhills and when we were almost at the Big Butt we found a collection of them feeding en masse on a dog turd. There were so many of them that it didn’t matter what they were on as it was masked by pastel blue uppers and silvery white undersides. There appeared to be a few ‘different’ looking ones in the throng; one or two showed the orange in the spots whilst others had very thick dark margins and one even had a white circle marking showing on its hind wing. We watched for while taking in the variety and some passing people showed interest at first but this quickly turned to disgust when they discovered what they were scrambling over; as if it was the butterflies fault! Finally we tore ourselves away and with time ebbing away we reached the foot of Big Butt where a Common Blue sat feeling a little left out amid the oh so numerous Chalkhills. On the return there were fewer Chalkills ‘en le turd’ so we kept going but we did pause for a female Chalkhill, he only one we saw over our time on site and a final Small Copper.
25-07-2023 46.JPG
25-07-2023 47.JPG
25-07-2023 48.JPG
25-07-2023 49.JPG
25-07-2023 50.JPG
25-07-2023 51.JPG
25-07-2023 52.JPG
25-07-2023 53.JPG
25-07-2023 54.JPG
And then it was away home, me to my tea and Philzoid to a few further stops on the way home. Once I’d parked I sat in the car for a moment and while the engine plinked as it cooled I thoigh back over the previous few hours. What a day! Three Hairstreaks, an aberrant Small Copper, a Valesina and a mass of Chalkhills as well as excellent company! The only thing missing was a Cloudy ;-)
Alners Gorse again
Small site, big on butterflies
A Hairstreak trio

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I'd my worst year for Butterflies since I started looking for them only 28 species :roll: 10 of those I took in the Garden :D I know where to go for the Green Hair Streak now though, I'll be there like a shot next year :lol:, you did very well with the Butterflies though ,I'll let you know about the Heaths next year :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :mrgreen: Thank you for the offer of a tip off on the Heaths :D My older daughter has just started at Exeter Uni so I'm hoping that an end of term pick up coincides with Heaths and/or High Browns :wink: :lol: I reckon next year you'll be onto the Grizzlie one :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Perham 26-07-2023

The summer had resorted back to typical summer weather, no long, baking wall to wall July break this year; instead a mixture of grey days and sunny intervals, the temperature set to warm and the occasional shower thrown in. To be honest it was hard to be disappointed with the cool, grey sky that greeted me when I awoke as this was what I’d been expecting for a while. And so, storing great hope in the veracity of the weather apps I set of too Perham Down to try and find some Silver Spots.

When I arrived it seemed like I was the only one willing to believe in the weather app as I had the place to myself…well almost. As I pulled my boots on a Red Admiral did a couple of passes, looping past me and round the large puddle-cum-pond which filled most of the track. There was also the occasional blast of machine gun fire from either of the small wooded areas which would be followed by cries a tactical nature. With boots on I skirted round the edge of this and set off across the field and from there up through the narrower path that brushes the edge of the small wood on my left. I’d almost gotten used to the retorts of the rifles but it still made an odd aural juxtaposition; bubbling Skylarks and rattling machine guns, the soft whistles of a trip of Bullfinches swiftly followed by screams of “watch the flank, watch the flank!”. Leaving them to their fun and war games I pressed on noting Meadow Browns and in the longer turf of the diagonal path a Brown Argus, a couple of Chalkhills and a Smessex. As I reached the toe (note quite the foot) of the Down a few more Meadow Browns drifted past and then something buzzed past and seemed to drop by my feet. I leant down to get a closer look and couldn’t believe my eyes as there was my first Silver Spot; it had come and found me.
26-07-2023 1.JPG
As I peered down at it where it sat in its shelter down in the turf I could see that it wasn’t the thing that had buzzed me as its wings seemed tiny in comparison to its enormous abdomen. They also seemed a little crinkled and pleated and so surmising that it was still waiting for its wings to dry I offered it a finger and moved it to the edge of some taller scrub so it didn’t get squashed under foot. It was very placid and after plenty of shots of it ‘in situ’ I couldn’t resist trying for some on a Thistle. With these on the memory card I quickly returned it to its favoured spot and wishing it well I set off over the turf once more. I didn’t get far before stopping again, literally just across the open slope as then I reached a line of scrub at the far end of which was a large Bramble. There were 3 or 4 Whites clinging to various florets for a few moments at a time and a Red Admiral fed greedily. But I’d not come for these species and so I got back to the turf…
26-07-2023 2.JPG
26-07-2023 3.JPG
26-07-2023 4.JPG
26-07-2023 5.JPG
26-07-2023 6.JPG
As I strode across the slope, a slight spring in my step conveyed by the thin turf a Green-veined White passed by and a Common Blue paused just long enough to reel me in before it shot off. I set about scanning left and right as I walked slowly forward and back across the slope in a series of interminably small zig-zags. This technique of covering almost every square inch of the down paid off as I managed to pick up a couple more Silver Spots. These were much more active than my initial finding, displaying much more typical behaviour. I would have gotten many more shots but it took me a while to dredge through my memory and recall the method of following and locating them that I developed last year. Once I’d remembered the shots started mounting up on the memory card counter. I’d be walking along scanning the ground about 2 metres in front my footfall and one would go up. Next I’d watch as it would skim across the grass veering left and right. Eventually I’d lose sight of it and once this happened I’d quickly head to the last point that I’d seen it. As I neared this spot I’d slow my pace and move more stealthily, scanning the ground ever more intently. Generally there it would be, only a metre or so to the left or right away from I’d last seen it flying.
26-07-2023 7.JPG
26-07-2023 8.JPG
26-07-2023 9.JPG
26-07-2023 10.JPG
At the top of the slight rise it levelled off somewhat and there were clumps of Hawthorn or Bramble giving a mosaic appearance to this part of the site. I picked my way around and in between various clumps of scrub before reaching the foot of the Down proper where the thorny vegetation was replaced by the familiar thin, springy turf. When the sun poked its head round the cloud the butterflies would take to zooming about at breakneck speeds making counting very tricky. This was compounded further by their habit of setting off a nearby neighbour in an almost chain reaction of ‘spooking’. There was a definite Brown Argus, 4 Chalkhills and a Common Blue whilst the seemingly ever moving Brimstones I jotted down as ‘lots’ in my notebook. I carried on, relocating the main track as it started upwards. To be fair at this end the slope is none too difficult, one of the reasons I frequent this end of the site. On my way up to the hotspot I passed a tall Bramble with Ivy growing up through it and supporting a Red Admiral and a Peacock. And at the Hotspot itself things were very quiet as this end had lost its lustre in recent years. The best I could come up with was singletons of Brown Argus and Common Blue while once again my notebook had ‘lots’ written next to Brimstone. On the return the tall bush had added 2 Commas and a smattering of Hedgies to its collection.
26-07-2023 11.JPG
26-07-2023 12.JPG
From here I allowed gravity to do its thing and so I ended up traversing the flat field at the bottom of the hill. Again there were plenty of non-stop butterflies – Brimstones seemed to have multiplied during my time wandering round the old hotspot as had the other Whites and I was fairly convinced that I saw all three of the white species though proving it wold be something else as they kept flying non-stop. Again there were a smattering of Blues as well, some of the Chalkhills looked almost White-like as they flew in the sun and the light bounced off them at unusual angles. A Common Blue appeared as well as a brace of Silver Spots which seemed to prefer the margins of the thinner turf and scrub. Once I’d finished with one of the Silver Spots a DGF flashed by and as I made to follow it down the path it picked up the pace and left me for dust. Trailing its wake however was another one of the White looking Blues – this one was a Holly Blue which looked a little out of place here on a Chalk Down.
26-07-2023 13.JPG
26-07-2023 14.JPG
26-07-2023 15.JPG
26-07-2023 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You've taken some fantastic shots Wurzel of the Butterflies :mrgreen: Love the Silver Spotted Skipper shots :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Silver-spots, Wurzel, and the shot of that one on your hand just reinforces their hold on the gold medal spot in the cuteness event at the Skipper Olympics. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I always view my Silver-spot trips in two minds, happy because I love watching this gorgeous little critter :D but with a tinge of sadness as this is either the penultimate or final 'new' species of the year :( :D 8)
Cheers Dave :D I don't normally 'try' for on the hand shots but this was a case of moving it before it got trampled :shock: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Perham 26-07-2023 Part 2

I carried on down, back through the scrubby bit and back out onto the initial field of thin turf. Once here I spent the reminder of my time practicing the art of Silver Spot stalking. I’d obviously gotten my eye in as spotting the little blighters became much easier and after some practice stalking them did as well and I managed to find 3 or 4 more definitely different individuals as I criss-crossed the grassland. My quartering eventually brought me to the very edge of the field at the bottom of the Down where it had all begun an hour or so earlier. Right at the edge was a small triangle of taller vegetation and longer grass. As I followed an animal track through it I spotted my final Silver Spot, a Small Copper, Common Blue as well as a definite Essex, a definite Small and a Smessex Skipper – finishing with a bit of a flourish.
26-07-2023 17.JPG
26-07-2023 18.JPG
26-07-2023 19.JPG
26-07-2023 20.JPG
26-07-2023 21.JPG
26-07-2023 22.JPG
26-07-2023 23.JPG
26-07-2023 24.JPG
26-07-2023 25.JPG
26-07-2023 26.JPG
26-07-2023 27.JPG
26-07-2023 28.JPG
As I drove back I realised that I still had plenty of time and also that there seemed to be a break in the cloud over a certain field with an impressive accompanying array of hedges. Within 10 minutes or so I was parked at Shipton Bellinger, at the back end, and I was striding towards the Nettle Patch. I slowed myself as I rounded the corner and the nettles hove into view. I had to slow myself right down as the path is heavily rutted and very uneven and I didn’t look at the ground once. Instead I scanned across the tops of the vegetation nd paid particular attention to anything remotely flower like or purple. This paid off almost immediately as there was a male Brostreak! The cloud had covered the sun once again which muted the colours of the butterfly somewhat but it was still a glorious sight; a honeyed orange with almost kaki strips. This one was practically bombproof and it was all I could do to tear myself away from it.
26-07-2023 29.JPG
26-07-2023 30.JPG
26-07-2023 31.JPG
As I’d broken free of the lure of the Brostreak I reverted to following the well-worn path down the narrow track on the side of the Nettle Bed. The large Bramble held a Holly Blue as well as a cacophony of Red Admirals. I counted 14 at one time and these were joined by 3 Commas, a Peacock, several Hedgies and a Silver-washed Fritillary. I was surprised by the sheer number of Red Admirals but even more so that the bush was still standing and able to support the weight of the butterflies. Oddly, but also possibly because of this bush, the rest of the path was very quiet. As I stepped out from the confines onto the stony road I glanced across at the other, smaller Nettle Bed and could see 4 Commas in various places across it.
By now the sun was an infrequent visitor and so I decided against investigating all the usual nooks and crannies at the top of the hill and instead just investigated along the hedges around the main field. I started on the opposite side with the highlights being an Adonis Blue and a Peacock standing out like a sore thumb amid the Browns and oranges of the Hedgies and Meadow Browns. Along top of the field on part of the main track that runs down to the village a Wall paused from tis busy schedule and then I was on very familiar territory as I worked down the main hedge. There were many, many whites and Meadow Browns kept me second guessing and right at the end a cracking Brown Argus but that was it. It looked like the cloud that had encapsulated the site was keeping the rest of the butterflies at bay and so I started for home, calling time on a surprisingly successful trip.
26-07-2023 32.JPG
26-07-2023 33.JPG
26-07-2023 34.JPG
Perham Silver Spots
Were the days main attraction
With a Brostreak too…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Corfu Friday 07-04-2023

My hopes of getting back up the mountain were slightly dashed as today was the day when we’d be risking the drive to Corfu Town. I wasn’t looking forward to this as the Satnav had shown a tendency to ‘jump’ in the main conurbation, plus the thought of the €1000 excess kept floating in my fore brain! Still we loaded up and away we went with Black-eared Wheatear waving us off and a likely looking Scarce Swallowtail coming up from the hill on the outskirts of the beach resort.

Once we were safely there and having parked and the left the keys with a parking attendant (anyone remember ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’? :shock: :? ) we were soon strolling along pavements and boulevards with Alpine and Pallid Swifts screaming overhead. As we sipped coffee near the cricket pitch a Red Admiral passed by and then later on the sea wall in the garden of the George Michael Palace I found a Painted Lady, a white and a few Lizards (large Star Agamas/Roughtails and smaller ones which may be juveniles or a different species).
07-04-2023 1.JPG
07-04-2023 2.JPG
07-04-2023 3.JPG
07-04-2023 4.JPG
07-04-2023 5.JPG
07-04-2023 6.JPG
07-04-2023 7.JPG
While we ate lunch it rained and clouded over but on the drive back it started to clear and with the coming of the sun the Whites appeared in greater and greater numbers as we got closer and closer to ‘home’. When we started up the steep hill to the drop-off point where the girls would climb out of the car and climb up the hill Whites tumbled over the walls and down the hill whilst Walls erupted from the verges. Round the first bend after the drop-off a Large Tort sat in the road and I was worried that I might run it over! Once back I unpacked in record time, grabbed my camera and made my way back down the road, ostensibly to meet and then walk back up the hill with the girls. However on the way down I couldn’t help but notice a few Cleopatras.
07-04-2023 8.JPG
07-04-2023 9.JPG
When I bumped into the girls my suggestion of having a look around didn’t pass the mustard so I headed down a ‘driveway’ to another Villa on my own. Like a Mountain Goat I nimbly tripped and trotted across the terraces under the cover of the Olive trees. I was enjoying myself so much I almost forgot to look for the butterflies but the ones I did see were either so bright or so boisterous ignoring them wouldn’t have been possible; Walls, Cleopatras and E.O.T.s in the main. On next driveway down the hill I again found a nice collection of flowers in a narrow bank up against the retaining wall. In the late afternoon sun the butterflies were very active and so I had to watch and wait. Various Whites passed through and then a Large Wall fed greedily so I was able to get in and grab a few shots.
07-04-2023 10.JPG
07-04-2023 11.JPG
07-04-2023 12.JPG
07-04-2023 13.JPG
Just down the hill, literally, more flowers tumbled down. It looked like someone had started building into the side of the hill but had only got as far as the excavation. Needless to say the exposed rocky ground had unearthed long dormant seeds and so there was a riot of yellows, whites and purples. These colours were echoed – partially – by the butterflies and numerous whites drifted down and around back up the hill. Among them I discerned a slightly yellow, almost triangular butterfly, a Scarce Swallowtail. In fact there were two but I only discovered that when I’d given up chasing one only for the second to drop down right in front of me. The fact that it was missing its tails made it obvious that it was definitely a different individual. All of this time actually passed by in a blur as I walked up and down, here and there, trying to photograph the increasingly active butterflies. Highlights obviously included the brace of Scarce Swallowtails but also a Painted Lady and a Blue which was a Common but looked the wrong colour at the time.
07-04-2023 14.JPG
07-04-2023 15.JPG
07-04-2023 16.JPG
07-04-2023 17.JPG
07-04-2023 18.JPG
07-04-2023 19.JPG
07-04-2023 20.JPG
07-04-2023 21.JPG
07-04-2023 22.JPG
07-04-2023 23.JPG
07-04-2023 24.JPG
07-04-2023 25.JPG