Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Wurzel. I've managed similar Small Copper shots for the last two years.

An overdue visit to High and Over found a very strong 3rd brood of Wall Browns flying this morning.
There was action along the whole length of the wooded hedge in the meadow. Unsurprisingly all
were worn to some extent given my late in the month visit.
I would not like to try and estimate the number present as territorial disputes were constantly
breaking out with up to three males spiralling skyward at a time. One amazing sight was of six
males flying or basking within a small area near the gate up to the steps.

No females were found, probably already mated and keeping out of the way.
Attachments
P1410248.JPG
P1410265.JPG
P1410295.JPG
P1410303.JPG
P1410317.JPG
P1410297.JPG
P1410292.JPG
P1410286.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

You've done really well with those Small Coppers. Such a fiery delight at this time of year.

Perhaps more satisfying is the presence of third brood Wall Browns. My suspicion is that they are finally breaking through the 'development trap' that caused them to plummet in numbers in the late C20. They have gone considerably scarcer round my way, so perhaps it'll take a bit of time for south Wales to catch up with SE England.
trevor

Post by trevor »

After my visit to High and Over on Friday I headed straight over to Herstmonceux
to make the most of the good weather, and for a bite to eat in the cafe!
On the butterfly front the gardens were surprisingly quiet, but a very fresh
Painted Lady basking on the flag stone path was worth the visit on it's own.
Also seen was a very co-operative Large White, two Peacocks, a Comma,
and the usual Small Coppers.

At home this afternoon a Speckled Wood was spotted in my back garden.
It was too far away to determine it's sex,. but this was given away when
it rose up to see off a passing Small White, sure enough it was a male.
Attachments
P1410352.JPG
P1410362.JPG
P1410365.JPG
P1410372.JPG
P1410325.JPG
P1410384.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

With the promise of fine weather I returned to Whitehawk Hill today.
After many sightings and a few shots of a very worn Long Tailed Blue, Paul Atkin ( bugboy )
found a fresh male and beckoned me over, sure enough there was a fine specimen posing
on a fluffy seed head. A little later, what at the time looked like another fresh male, was
seen on a pea flower, and many satisfactory shots were taken.
Paul later messaged me with proof that we had seen the same fresh male twice in different locations.
I had planned to carry on to Worthing after Whitehawk. So I gave Paul a lift over to Worthing where
we met Neil Hulme. Needless to say no LTB's were present ( yet ) though Neil was optimistic that
there was still time for a beach party later on! Several Painted Ladies and two Clouded Yellows
made the trip to Worthing worthwhile.

It was good to meet Paul and Neil today, both for the first time this year.
Attachments
P1410402.JPG
P1410406.JPG
P1410416.JPG
P1410410.JPG
P1410408.JPG
The frequently seen worn male LTB.
The frequently seen worn male LTB.
P1410432.JPG
P1410427.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the lift today :) I would offer a few Mrgreens but I was standing next to you when you took those pics :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic to see those Long-tails Trevor and as I wasn't there here are some :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: I just wish they'd sample the delights of Wiltshire, mind you give it a few more years and a suitable micro-climate might build :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a really nice LTB, Trevor. So pleased you saw a couple (along with the Clouded Yellows). :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

I've seen one of your LTB shots Paul, I thought for a moment you had cloned one of mine :lol:

Wilts needs some BLEP Wurzel, there must be some but I don't remember seeing any on my travels.

Clouded Yelllows and LTB's have been hard work for me this year, David, but got there in the end.

Winding down.

Although late summer 2023 has not been as productive as previous years at Herstmonceux things
seem to be winding down earlier there this year too. Still time for some surprises though.
Below is a selection of some of the usual suspects.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1410494.JPG
P1410437.JPG
P1410441.JPG
P1410459.JPG
P1410473.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

A feast for the eyes, Trevor. :)

Things starting to drop off here too but we've still got two to three weeks before (with the odd exception) Red Admirals are all there realistically is to expect.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That second Small Copper on the purple flowers is the mightiest of those mighty fine shots Trevor 8) :mrgreen:
I do keep my eyes out for BLEP - there's some growing on one of my Local Patches - so next year I'll be making biweekly checks! :wink: To be honest I wouldn't mind if they started appearing on the coast in Dorset - just somewhere that isn't a 3-4 hour drive away :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks David, Only a week or two left of the season, I'm sure we'll make the most of it.

Cheers Wurzel. bugboy took some quite sickening shos of fresh LTB's at Lancing Ring today.
I've worked it out that's about 80 miles from you if that's any good.

Today wasn't much good for LTB's at Whitehawk. Solid grey cloud at home gave way to a
warm spell with breaking cloud. So off I went, only to find Brighton covered in gloom!
When the sun did appear it was very warm and the LTB's were manic and also largely worn.

However while waiting for some LTB action I found a large Wasp Spider and after a few

shots I went for a wander. Upon my return a few minutes later the Spider was in the
process of wrapping it's unfortunate prey.

Good to see bugboy once again.
Attachments
P1410496.JPG
P1410498.JPG
P1410501.JPG
P1410513.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some October colour this afternoon.
Attachments
P1410550.JPG
P1410539.JPG
P1410518.JPG
P1410531.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D Your LTB from a post ago reminds me of my first ever sighting in Lisbon, very similar composition 8) I'll have to look into Lancing Ring for future reference as at this stage of the season I'm a bit more of a home bod - it's strange how with the waning of the butterflies the job list grows exponentially :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. Lancing Ring performed today.

A new location { for me ) for Long Tailed Blues today, Lancing Ring.

Not having a clue where to look on arrival, about an hour was wasted before I discovered
the path down to the chalk pit and what looked like a perfect LTB lekking area.
This was confirmed when I saw Lindsay Morris walking towards me. We had to wait for
quite a while before the first fly past, which at least meant LTB's were braving the strong breeze.
The first one to land was a fairly fresh male. This one later perched on the tip of a grass seed head
and stayed put for over 5 mins. as well as perching on foliage. A dog fight of two males confirmed
the presence of at least one more to search for. This one was tracked down eventually, and turned
out to be somewhat worn but with both tails intact. Another fresh male was only seen once briefly
and had lost both tails.
An absorbing morning was enjoyed in great company. Good to meet Lindsay again.

On the path down to the chalk pit it was good to find two Specklies in good condition and a fresh Comma.
Attachments
P1410631.JPG
P1410589.JPG
P1410602.JPG
P1410646.JPG
P1410670.JPG
P1410655.JPG
P1410598.JPG
P1410574.JPG
P1410564.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning shots Trevor :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) The fresh ones look so 'hairy'; almost like crushed velvety in appearance :shock: 8)
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That first image is spectacularly good, Trevor. :mrgreen:

October is a productive month round your way!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Wurzel & David. More crushed velvet today, Wurzel!

Hope you enjoy the images from today, David.

The perfect weather this morning dictated a return to Lancing Ring might prove fruitful.
When I arrived at the Chalk Pit Neil Hulme. Kirsty Gibbs and a few others were already on site,
and there was a male Long Tailed Blue waiting for me too.
As the morning wore on quite a small crowd had assembled, not surprising given the weather
and the widely reported LTB's. The highlight of the day was spotted by Louise Kahan, a mating pair.
As we all settled around the pairing they decided to move, and did so several times before
finally settling in a fluffy seed head. What could have been a bad tempered scrum was in fact
good humoured and everyone present was a able to have a spell in a prime spot with their camera.

The final highlight for me was a fresh male displaying the deepest blue I have ever seen coupled
with a deep brown and wider than usual wing border.

A wonderful day and good to meet Kirsty, Louise, Claire, Neil, our own Dave ( millerd ), Danial Moles
Lindsay Morris and others I met for the first time.

I can confidently say a good time was had by all.
Attachments
The final mating spot.
The final mating spot.
The mating pair as found.
The mating pair as found.
The female after mating.
The female after mating.
P1410816.JPG
P1410791.JPG
P1410809.JPG
P1410689.JPG
P1410716.JPG
P1410720.JPG
ClaireB

Post by ClaireB »

Good to see you again today Trevor. Great shots of the LTBs, especially the mating pair :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . That will teach me not to be so late to the party.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great to see you too Claire, yes you did miss the best of it today.
There's still time for your stretch of beach to perform though.
I'll be in Wiltshire for a few days so I might miss any further action.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

That open-winged LTB is a lovely butterfly.

Return to “Personal Diaries”