Been very quiet

Jack Harrison

Been very quiet

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had hoped - indeed expected - many reports this summer of immigrants and their offspring. Disappointing.

Jack
David M

Re: Been very quiet

Post by David M »

It's not been that bad, Jack. We've currently got an influx of Clouded Yellows, whilst Neil Hulme reports unprecedented numbers of Long Tailed Blues.

Painted Ladies have been disappointing. That I'll admit.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think Jack was referring specifically to swallowtails, David. In Switzerland, at least, these had a pretty rough spring brood (first, very dry, then endless rain in April and May). So we didn't have many to share around. I don't know what the situation was like further north in France and the Low Countries.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

I see.

I had no idea till I read the forum category!

Lesson learned! :) :lol:
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Managed to see this one in Menorca in August.
Attachments
DSC_0767.jpeg
DSC_0762.jpeg
DSC_0765.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A Swallowtail was photographed in Walmer Castle (kitchen garden ) Kent, a few days ago . Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

There were quite a few in Kent this year, fresh immigrants but some suspected to have overwintered from breeding last year. 1 was recorded egg laying on the Sussex South coast and our own vince had another laying in his south coast pad and someone's just posted a fully grown larvae in their garden in Seaford on Facebook. No doubt lots more went unnoticed, I'd say it's been quite a busy year for them.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Yes ,as you say Bugboy reasonable numbers were noted in Kent earlier on ,and like yourself i was lucky enough to see probably around three at the well publicised spot near the Dover Patrol monument at St. Margarets. I know that a freshly emerged female was released there later on reared from a larvae found in a garden at Whitstable . Many years ago (in the 1930's ) my uncle found a few caterpillars feeding on Carrot tops on his fathers allotment in central Ashford (Kent ) ................ a local collector ............... a doctor ,somehow got wind of these caterpillars and they were sold to him for a half a crown each ............... a helluva lot of money for a small boy at that time ! I believe that there have been a fair few attempts at colonisation over the years ...................surely only a matter of time !
Allan.W.

Return to “Swallowtail”