Aberrant high brown fritillary

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Aberrant high brown fritillary

Post by Padfield »

It's not often a butterfly flies past and I simply have no idea what it is! It happened this afternoon, up my local mountain (at a little over 1800m), so I gave chase and snapped a very few quick shots before it disappeared. I did realise, when it settled, that it was a female high brown fritillary, but she was so aberrant she looked more like an escape from a butterfly farm in flight:

For any conspiracy theorists, yes, that piccie has been a little clumsily manipulated, but only because it was windy and the original photo just clipped the tip of the wing. This is what came out of my camera:

She was large, and when I first realised she was a fritillary, I assumed she was dark green. But the underside - an equally awful shot - shows she is high brown:

She was highly mobile and flew off before I could get any better pictures.

We are in mid-heatwave here in Switzerland, and she is fresh, so perhaps this form was produced by the exceptional temperatures.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Re: Aberrant high brown fritillary

Post by David M »

That is quite something, Guy! :shock:
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Wow! That's a pretty impressive aberration Guy. Good job getting the underside!
millerd

Post by millerd »

An extraordinary butterfly, Guy - she really does look thoroughly baked! I wonder how many more heat-induced forms there are around Europe at the moment?

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “High Brown Fritillary”