August 2023

Discussion forum for sightings.
Matsukaze

Re: August 2023

Post by Matsukaze »

I've rarely had a problem photographing Wall Brown; the whites and hairstreaks on the other hand never seem to sit still to allow for photos.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Matsukaze wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:26 pm I've rarely had a problem photographing Wall Brown; the whites and hairstreaks on the other hand never seem to sit still to allow for photos.
This is almost the opposite of my experience! :)

It may well have something to do with how we photograph our targets: I usually need to get within a few inches of the butterfly. There are not many Walls I've encountered that will tolerate that degree of proximity, but all five Hairstreaks when nectaring seem to be oblivious of a lens close by.

I do however agree about most of the various whites (with the possible exception of Orange Tips; sometimes Wood Whites can cooperate too).

Fascinating! :)

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Had a couple of visits recently to the downland at Temple Ewell /Lydden to get my fix of Silver -Spots ,2nd brood Adonis,
Chalkhills ................plenty of the latter about ,but it seems that every time i roll up on site the weather changes ,and from sunny weather on leaving home,by the time i arrive the clouds and wind roll in ! but it doesn,t seem to stop the Chalkhills (and Brown Argus !) from showing off !
P1210574.JPG
P1210634 (2).JPG
P1210527 (2).JPG
P1210718.JPG
The Adonis and Silver -Spots are a different story ,although the weathers not been great ,i do usually manage to find a few but not so thus far with just one of each ...............didn,t manage a shot of the Silver -Spot but managed to capture the Adonis.
P1210586.JPG
There were some lovely male Common Blues ,male and females around .
P1210609.JPG
And finally a non-butterfly moment ,I,ve found many stunning female Wasp Spiders over the last few years ,but never seen a male ,but finally stumbled (almost literally !)across a large female with a small male in attendance ......................very pleased !
P1210700.JPG
Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! That's quite some aberration, Allan! :shock:
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Stopped at a couple of places on my way home from Forres to Aberdeen today.

Managed a couple of quick photos of a very lively comma at Logie Steading......which stayed out of my reach yesterday.

Also stopped at Grantown on Spey and seen lots of scotch argus on the wing.....unfortunately most of them past their best.

Seen a few red admirals on the buddleia in my garden when I got home......luckily one came down to eye level for a photo.........hoping to see more in next few days.

Best photos attached.

Bert.
Attachments
DSC_2373.jpeg
DSC_2369.jpeg
DSC_2367.jpeg
DSC_2306.jpeg
DSC_2285 (1).jpeg
DSC_2280.jpeg
DSC_2270.jpeg
DSC_2239.jpeg
DSC_2234.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks David ! had to resort to looking through the Chalkhill undersides ,because at first they were a bit reluctant to "open up " ..................until the odd break in the clouds . See a few of these at this site ,most seasons .
Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:26 pmI've rarely had a problem photographing Wall Brown; the whites and hairstreaks on the other hand never seem to sit still to allow for photos.
Surprised to hear this, Chris. For me, finding Hairstreaks (Green apart) is the tricky thing. Once located, they are the tamest of all butterflies.
David M

Post by David M »

Bertl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:00 pm..Managed a couple of quick photos of a very lively comma at Logie Steading......which stayed out of my reach yesterday.

Also stopped at Grantown on Spey and seen lots of scotch argus on the wing.....unfortunately most of them past their best...
I'm not surprised you saw Scotch Argus, Bertl, but that Comma is a bit of a shock. They're pretty infrequent that far north, aren't they?
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Hi David

This is first time I have seen them near Forres. I counted 4 yesterday at Logie Steading.

The furthest north I had previously seen them was at Drum castle Gardens on deeside......photo attached.

Cheers

Bert.
Attachments
P1080363.jpeg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That's a stunning butterfly Allan - absolutely gorgeous - and your photos certainly do it justice :mrgreen: . To my mind, there's nothing worse than the image of a striking butterfly marred by poor photography.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Pauline wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:37 am That's a stunning butterfly Allan - absolutely gorgeous - and your photos certainly do it justice :mrgreen: . To my mind, there's nothing worse than the image of a striking butterfly marred by poor photography.
Agreed about that photo of Allan's. :)

To my mind, there is nothing nothing more frustrating than having a striking butterfly in front of you and being unable for whatever reason to get any decent shots of it! :)

An interesting bit of behaviour from yesterday (17th): I found a single somewhat worn Peacock, relentlessly patrolling up and down a fifty-metre stretch of path adjacent to the large nettlebed from which it probably originally emerged. It flew up to chase anything that came into its airspace: large dragonflies and butterflies large and small of any species. I imagine it was a male hopefully looking for a female, or even another male to chase off, but it has been over a fortnight since any other Peacocks have been seen in this part of my patch: they have all disappeared into hibernation.

It appears that this lone individual probably emerged programmed to attempt another brood (there are lots of records of Peacocks having a second brood in late summer) but it did seem odd to see this kind of territorial behaviour in August rather than April! Here he is:
PK1 170823.JPG
Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thankyou Pauline and Dave ,it was a lovely insect ............and very obliging ! this site (Temple Ewell, Kent ) seems to turn up a fair few of these most years . Thanks Again . Allan.W.
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

DSC06552.jpeg
DSC06543.jpeg
I hope it’s been the same throughout the UK because it’s been a productive season for Holly Blue in my London garden
David M

Post by David M »

Andy02 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:49 pmI hope it’s been the same throughout the UK because it’s been a productive season for Holly Blue in my London garden
Been largely excellent here, Andy. Plenty in the spring and no shortage over the past few weeks either.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

After doing a few jobs at the in-laws we headed down to Dungeness ,for a bite to eat and a look around .Wasn,t really expecting to see any Small Coppers ,i thought that they,d probably be between broods. After last years collapse in numbers after a normal first brood ,
than practically none in the next two ( in a normal season ) . wasn,t expecting too much this year .........the first brood just a few here and there ,slightly better second brood (best count 32 on a visit ) ,but thankfully things are really looking up !
On leaving the Railway cafe we,d noted 4 just walking across to the car ...............things were definately looking up !
We did a fairly short circuit ...........didn,t actually count them but i reckon we saw easily between 100-150 a brilliant hour spent ,and most unexpected !
P1220045.JPG
P1220061.JPG
P1220055.JPG
Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely mating pair, Allan. Only ever seen that a handful of times myself.
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 17th, Botanic Gardens of Wales, nr. Cross Hands:

Hedge Brown 40-50
Common Blue 30-40
Peacock 25-35
Red Admiral 25-35
Meadow Brown 20-30
Small White 15-20
Small Tortoiseshell 10-15
Speckled Wood 5
Large White 4
Holly Blue 3
Green Veined White 1
17S.Pck(1).jpg
17S.RedAdm(1).jpg
17S.SmTort(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I went down to Denbies today in the hope of seeing a few more Adonis Blues and Silver-spotted Skippers. I was successful on both counts, but came across something much more interesting.

I spotted what from a distance looked like a mating pair of Chalkhill Blues, but when I came closer, it turned out there was just one butterfly, not the two I was expecting...
ChBab2 200823.JPG
ChBab3 200823.JPG
A bilateral gynandromorph no less.

The butterfly wasn't particularly active, and I managed to watch its behaviour for a while. The female side seemed to dominate, with the butterfly going down into the grass and seeking out horseshoe vetch as if to lay. It was an extraordinary thing to see - I only wish I'd seen it when it was freshly emerged! :)

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Brilliant Dave ! once in a lifetime find ! :D Allan.W.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I trust you called it "Elton" :lol:

Jack

Return to “Sightings”