2023 - Large Tortoiseshell

Discussion forum for sightings.
Wolfson

Re: 2023 - Large Tortoiseshell

Post by Wolfson »

Another sighting in Cornwall 2 July, reported on CBWPS, sightings page.

Kestle Barton, Nr Helford: 1 Large Tortoiseshell. (P Bedford)
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

One seen and photographed by Celia Curtis in her Felpham (near Bognor) garden today (11 July). See BC Sussex Sightings Page.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

List updated. Thanks Mark / Paul / Allan / Dave / James / Wolfson / Neil

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Today , I had the pleasure of meeting Kelly Uren on a Cornwall BC butterfly walk event in Cornwall. Kelly happened to mention that she had a chance of a lifetime sighting last Sunday 9th July in her sisters garden near Cambourne. There were both a Small and Large Tortoiseshell together on on White Buddleia flower stem. Kelly managed to get a photo of them both together, which is not only a Bucket List event but is invaluable for others never seeing a Large to help identify one in its difference from the common Small Tortoiseshell. a truly outstanding shot Kelly.
I am sure her sighting has already been reported for the records but I thought many others should see the photo and hope it helps many more of you to report a sighting of a Large Tortoiseshell which at first glimpse you may have mistaken for a Small. It certainly has got me fired up to double check every Tortoiseshell I see in future.A great thank you Kelly for sharing this photo with us all.
Attachments
LARGE AND SMALL TORT TOGETHER CORNWALL.jpg
LARGE AND SMALL TORT TOGETHER CORNWALL.jpg
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

One seen in West Leake, Nottinghamshire yesterday morning. The most northerly yet since the increase has started?
jasonbirder

Post by jasonbirder »

Lets not forget East Leake is bang in the middle of "dodgy release" territory.
I'd hesitate to lend it the same credence as the EG: Cornish records.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

jasonbirder wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:51 pm Lets not forget East Leake is bang in the middle of "dodgy release" territory.
I'd hesitate to lend it the same credence as the EG: Cornish records.
Yes the run of rares in the last two years of several species seems quite remarkable, but leaves you confused and wondering just what can and can't be chased and seen with any certainty of personal acceptance. What with releases from people trying to spread species to wedding releases etc. it's a nightmare.
Not sure how the new rare butterflies book, (out later this year) will tackle some of them.
It's the same with birds, especially wildfowl, but at least there's a committee that assesses each record, and makes an informed judgment as best they can. A shame there isn't the same for butterflies.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Another reported today from Cowdry Square ,Deal Kent ..............found by Paula Young feeding from a Buddlia ,on Kent butterflies facebook ................with several pictures.
Allan.W.
Will Malpas

Post by Will Malpas »

Did see a sighting on twitter at Orlestone, Kent on the 4th July, but can't find a link to it now as my twitter isn't working.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Will,
I also saw this LT record at the time ,but didn,t report it as it seemed a bit vague ,but from what i can gather it was found somewhere in Orlestone forest (Kent ) by Steve Oldscope on July 1st .................. and like yourself ...................no Twitter access .
Allan.W.
garrypogson

Post by garrypogson »

If you see any in the Bristol area, you will know why - just seen this tweet from yesterday...

https://twitter.com/search?q=large%20to ... ery&f=live

("I reared 18 large Tortoiseshell butterflies this year from caterpillars.. stunning. deep orange..been spotted in Bristol")
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

2 more records from the excellent local Kent blog "Perdix Birder" one at Langdon hole on 26th June ,and another late July from South Foreland ..............with photos of both.
Allan.W.
Will Malpas

Post by Will Malpas »

Another seen by Ceilia Bartlett feeding on buddleia in her garden on the 4th and 6th August, in Knatts Valley near Sevenoaks, Kent. Link to post - https://www.facebook.com/groups/6671878 ... 944671062/

I also note that the Spring sighting from Josh Nelson was in North-west Kent, possibly Wrotham area, would be interesting to find out exactly and see how close these two separate sightings were.

Return to “Sightings”