Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Wurzel

Post by trevor »

Good to see you found a Marshie in a non standard livery :mrgreen: .
I was at Cotley on the 21st, and like you explored the hollow on the left of the main path,
it's nice and level. No hill scrambling required.

Great reports from a great spot!
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D To be honest if you could only visit one spot from the whole site then that little hollow would be the one, everything there is to see can be found there with the addition of the odd Duke in some years :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

More great shots Wurzel, love the ones with the Dingy Skippers also that Brown Argus shot is really lovely :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I was chuffed with the Brown Argus shot :D but at the same time I couldn't work out where the Blues were?

Martin Down 20-05-2023

Having completed the rally drive across country to Martin Down as we strode across the car park a Grizzlie flew up to meet us. We followed the narrow path way out and first down then up the bowl so that we could start our expedition along the Dyke. There were Brimstones flying about all over the place the lemon males mainly harassing the lime females with the latter trying their best to keep a low profile by either flying low to the ground or right up high along the top of the trees that were embedded in the hedges. At the start of the Dyke we stuck to the top path and stared down mainly so as not to trample the pristine looking vegetation but also partly because I’d had enough of nettle stings. A female Red Admiral didn’t mind as she fluttered about looking for somewhere to lay. As we neared the bridge the thick bed of nettles started to peter out and we could see lines through the grass where others had passed before so we clambered down and stuck to these. A Small Copper showed up followed by a Marshie and then there was a Brown Argus and a second, different Small Copper.
20-06-2023a 1.JPG
20-06-2023a 2.JPG
20-06-2023a 3.JPG
20-06-2023a 4.JPG
After the bridge the fear of trampling lessened even more as the grass here was much more clumpily dispersed with patches of low growing grass a little like a mown pathway. We soon started adding to the site Tally as we spent a fair bit of time here enjoying the warmth that had built up in the sheltered spot. There was a third Small Copper as well as an extra couple of Brown Argus and a Dingy but the real stars of the show here were the two Marshies that took to gliding effortless, scything the grass heads in between bouts of bickering or lazing momentarily in the sun. It was so good to see them back again and for some reason the ones at Martin Down always feel a little more special than those form the other ‘usual’ sites? To finish off our stint here a courting pair of Brimstones provided the finale before we emerged back to the top path once more in the breeze. Sadly, once again, the courtship came to nowt and the ardent male was given the cold shoulder and I was left wondering if I’ll ever find a pair actually in cop?
20-06-2023a 6.JPG
20-06-2023a 7.JPG
20-06-2023a 8.JPG
Actually my other side is my best side...
Actually my other side is my best side...
20-06-2023a 10.JPG
From here we made rapid progress towards the Butts with only a Small Copper and a Dingy to slow us down on the way. As we rejoined the Dyke once it started back again in the little shallow section behind the Bug Butt we stopped as a Small Blue had appeared and finally made it not just onto the days Tally but also my Year List as well. Slightly further on Philzoid was made up when a Small Tort landed for a second or two on the end of the Big Butt. As we started to investigate the field in the lea of the Big Butt a Holly Blue zipped across from the few trees in the corner to the hedge that runs parallel to the Dyke and then as I walked along the track in the shelter of the Butt I spotted another FFY, a lovely lilac blue Common Blue. It was getting a bit of flak from a passing Dingy that seemed to be holding the large clump of Bramble as its territory. ON the other side of this a second Small Blue popped up, also taking advantage of the sheltered aspect offered by the little scallop created from the hedge over spilling and the Butt itself. I caught up with Philzoid who upon a few enquiries from the other photographers had found a pure white Early Purple Orchid.
20-06-2023a 11.JPG
20-06-2023a 12.JPG
20-06-2023a 13.JPG
20-06-2023a 14.JPG
20-06-2023a 15.JPG
20-06-2023a 16.JPG
20-06-2023a 17.JPG
We pressed on towards the half way point with three Holly Blues all scraping along the hedge as we started off. Things quietened down until we almost approached the half way point where the Burnt-tips were properly out and looking gorgeous. All the usual bits and bobs bimbled about here and as we worked to the little cross section of path we spotted 3 Small Blues in the large tussock of grass on the corner. A slightly closer look reveled a couple more lurking among the tufts and there were a few more still slightly further along the track. It’s difficult to know why this particular clump of grasses, this miniscule part of the enormous reserve is annually favoured by this tiny butterfly when they have acres and acres of space they could be utilizing.
20-06-2023a 19.JPG
20-06-2023a 20.JPG
20-06-2023a 21.JPG
20-06-2023a 22.JPG
20-06-2023a 23.JPG
Things were going really well but alas time was against us, well me really, and so we started the slow walk back to the car park. Just after the half way hedge, back near the Burnt-tips, we paused for a moment or two as the butterflies were still busy bundling into each other. Normally I’d say that the most aggressive would be the Brown Argus but on this occasion it was difficult to tell who was the worst behaved as Dingies, Grizzlies and Brown Argus all piled in on each other with reckless abandon. One things for sure the Common Blue was getting it in the neck from all and sundry and as I leant in to get a few shots of it it was promptly sent packing by the Brown Argus only to be replaced with an electric blue butterfly, my first Adonis of the year. Brilliant! Only the Brown Argus wasn’t happy, it had just vanquished one bigger blue and now it had to see off another. Working out that I’d have just enough time to get back and safely accrue some Brownie points we reluctantly started for home. On the walk back the usual suspects accompanied us and we did stop in the final couple of fields in between the Butts where there were over 130 Green-winged Orchids – well with number like that you’d have to really wouldn’t you?
20-06-2023a 24.JPG
20-06-2023a 25.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Those Small Blues shots! :mrgreen: no more to say really!

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D They seem to be having a good season - there were a load about this morning at Martin Down - they all looked pretty fresh so second brood maybe?

Sidbury 25-05-2023

It was getting to that time of the year when Sidbury starts getting good. It has most of the same species as Cotley with the added bonus of Dukes and many more Walls and so I planned to call in on the way home from work and complete a bit of a recce prior to future visits. It would be interesting to see how it was faring compared to the other local ‘Big Sites’; how it was progressing and whether the butterflies were out in any great numbers. I finished work and walked from the front of the school where I’d been running Bus Duty and jumped into my car and I was away in a very prompt fashion. Normally there would be all the shenanigans and time wasted with sorting everything out and getting my gear ready but today I was on the road in record time having pre-packed the car. Also my usual jeans had finally fallen to pieces so I was wearing my old work trousers which saved further time and effort of changing once on site. All I had to do was neck my coffee, put my boots on and hightail it away with my camera.
On the walk across from the car to the little patch of longer grass at the edge of the thin turf usually beloved of Adonis Blues a few Small Heath flew and were joined by a Dingy. The thin turf itself was bereft of Adonis (too early here?) and the little clump was lacking in Small Blues so I followed the main track down to the other triangle field created in the ‘V’ by the fusion of the two main Tank drags. One of the older ruts gouged out by a passing tracked vehicle still held some water and there were a few Tadpoles swimming about in the centre or resting beached at the shallow end. There were also a few Small Blues here a couple of which were mud puddling and there were a couple more eying up the mud form the surrounding grass stems. The field itself had a Brimstone pass over and there were four Dingies scattered about across its width. I crossed over the main track and worked round the little island of vegetation from the bottom up. As I walked I spotted a Dingy, a Small Heath and then finally round the back in the patch of grasses which were to about thigh level finally I spotted a Marshie. As I was using a thin stick to tease various stems away from tis wings and others to remove shadows cast a Greenstreak flew past and landed in the tree line. Pleased to have found a Marshie here (not always a given) I pressed on once I’d gotten my fill of shots. Ever so carefully I let the stems fall back into place as I withdrew the stick and then gingerly retreated from the butterfly. It remained in place and I went on my way.
25-05-2023 1.JPG
25-05-2023 2.JPG
25-05-2023 3.JPG
25-05-2023 4.JPG
I kept on working my way first and back down the little overgrown track which ha a couple each of Brown Argus and Small Heath and then up the track favoured by the Dukes in times gone by. Now it was no longer dry, stony and slightly rutted or even thinly turfed with a modicum of flowering plants but recent manoeuvres had ripped it apart and there were thin trenches gouged out by tank tracks. A Brimstone flew by with no intention of stopping, as did a Small White and the newly shredded path was quite attractive to Walls as two of them took it in turns to fly into the others airspace and so ‘start’ on the other. At the top of the track on the corner a Small Copper zipped away across the grasses and I followed a Small Heath up to the Dewpond/track Pond where it was seen off by an irritated Brown Argus. Sitting in the grasses along the edge of the track were two Small Coppers. One was stunningly fresh but as is the norm this was also the hardest to approach! After settling for a few shots and rather more of the more docile and slightly faded one I carried on across the field up to the far corner.
25-05-2023 6 web.JPG
25-05-2023 7.JPG
25-05-2023 7a web.JPG
25-05-2023 8.JPG
Last year this whole field had been the playground of Dukes with a couple of them along the verdant path. Not this year though as once again the track had been ripped up by caterpillar tracks. So I strode on up to the corner itself. Luckily this spot had remained untouched and so as I approached it I spotted a little brown and orange butterfly – it was a Duke. There was also a Brown Argus and as I tried to follow that it led me into the path of a second Duke. Great stuff! This second individual was slightly older and so more willing to sit for its picture and I was able to lie down flat along the track and get really close to it. Brushing off dust and Ticks once I’d finished I scanned along the length of the track. A Brimstone flew past from behind and I watched as an Orange-tip dropped down onto the track having flown up and over the trees bordering the path. A couple of Walls were interacting along the path. They were proving to be right pains to photograph; either taking off as soon as the Autofocus was set or taking off as the other had appeared. Then I’d have to watch and wait for them to settle and go through the slow and painful manoeuvre of getting in close, getting level, focusing…only for the butterfly to go up for one or other of the aforementioned reasons! Slightly frustrated I walked on noting a Common Blue. Brown Argus and 2 of the seemingly ubiquitous Brown Argus on my way to calm down in the shade of the Beech Wood. Once inside the cool shade I must have looked (more of) an odd one as every couple of steps I’d crouch down and lower my cheek to almost ground before moving on and repeating the procedure. In the end though it paid off as amongst the White Helleborines were a couple of Bird’s Nest Orchids.
25-05-2023 9.JPG
25-05-2023 10.JPG
25-05-2023 11.JPG
25-05-2023 12.JPG
25-05-2023 13.JPG
25-05-2023 14.JPG
25-05-2023 15.JPG
For some reason the 'flower' reminds me of a Balrog?
For some reason the 'flower' reminds me of a Balrog?
To be continued...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sidbury 25-05-2023 Part 2

I broke out into the sun once more and made my way across and up the Springy turf beyond the tress and behind the Duke corner. There were good numbers of Brown Argus again and I managed to count 5 amongst 3 Common Blues and a couple of Dingies. A Greenstreak stopped momentarily before disappearing into the tree line and then I turned round and walked back across the slope at mid-level. In a little pocket of tussock grass surrounded by young trees I paused to watch a pair of Dingies have a scrap. As they battled it out, a dog fight in miniature, I spotted a Greesntreak. It looked a slightly different green to what I was used to seeing and so I approached it. As I looked at it though my lens I could see that it was very old and worn and had lost a lot of its scales from around the top of the forewing hence the altered colour. After this I hopped over the stile and had a look along the little valley before climbing the hill parallel to the main track. If I’d though there were plenty of Brown Argus about then this brief climb changed my mind. There weren’t ‘many’ about there were masses of them! They were practically all over the hillside. Everywhere I looked there were the small silvery butterflies whizzing between flowers or chocolate orange one with wings open. It was a magnificent sight to see. In fact I became slightly dazzled by it and I was only able to distinguish one other butterfly from among the throng and that was a Holly Blue feeding on a Buttercup.
25-05-2023 16.JPG
25-05-2023 17.JPG
25-05-2023 18.JPG
Eventually my bemused amblings up the hill brought me to the trees and once though them into the Ring. My first impression were that it was much more heavily grazed than last year which left me wondering how the butterflies would be finding it? There was obviously a Wall as I walked and also a Small Heath and a Grizzlie but this stretch seemed much quieter this year. As I rounded the corner things picked up, possibly as this section was more sheltered from the breeze and so noticeably warmer and soon there were butterflies a plenty. I picked up another Grizzlie and a Small Copper, several Walls bombed this way and that often looking like they were going to, but never actually stopping. Again there was a surfeit of Brown Argus and the little grey/silver blobs would tumble down the hill. It was making photographing them hard work as I found my target would constantly be set off due to hassling of another or so that they could hassle another BA! As I walked I picked up more and more butterflies; a Dingy here, a Dingy there, a couple more Brown Argus, a Small Heath, a Small Copper, a grounded Fox Moth which had face-planted into the ground but took off as soon as the stunning had past, a flash by Wall. It was brilliant to see. On the return back along the bottom of the Ring there was more of the same with the additions of a really fresh Small Copper and a possible aberrant Brown Argus and odd looking Grizzlie.
25-05-2023 19.JPG
25-05-2023 20.JPG
25-05-2023 21.JPG
25-05-2023 22.JPG
25-05-2023 23.JPG
25-05-2023 24.JPG
25-05-2023 25.JPG
All too soon I found myself out of the Ring and traipsing down the main track towards the Crossroads. I waited a little bit whilst I was there as there were three Walls patrolling along the various trackways. As I continued down the hill there were a further 2 near the bottom of the hill opposite the Springy Turf. As I watched I noticed that on one of the smallest triangular patches of grass imaginable there were 5 Brown Argus all flitting about. There must have been a mass emergence here as I’d never seen so many Brown Argus in a single visit before. As I walked back across the field from Duke Corner I switched from looking for Walls and Marshies, in fact I switched from looking for butterflies at all and instead I took to seeking out little flags flying from the grass stems. First there was a Common Blue, then a Brown Argus, then a further 3 Brown Argus and then 5 Common Blues in quick succession. One was a singleton and the remaining four came in two pairs, the first were sitting side by side very reminiscent of the Swallows sitting on telegraph lines in the late summer and the second must have had a falling out as they facing opposite directions. There was a final flourish of 2 Brown Argus and then I’d reached the ex-verdant track and the thorny scrub beyond wasn’t really conducive for roosting. I carried on down the track and got back to the car without seeing much more but it had been a great visit. It seemed like it was a few days behind here so in the coming fortnight any trip here should produce the goods!
25-05-2023 26.JPG
25-05-2023 27.JPG
25-05-2023 28.JPG
25-05-2023 29.JPG
25-05-2023 30.JPG
25-05-2023 31.JPG
25-05-2023 32.JPG
25-05-2023 33.JPG
25-05-2023 34.JPG
A lengthy stop-off
To Sidbury after work
Loads of Brown Argus

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Compton Down 27-05-2023

I wasn’t supposed to be out today but all the preparations for K’s 18th on the following day were completed much quicker than expected so my wife suggested that I should go out. So where to go? Martin Down, Sidbury or should I try somewhere new and go to Compton Down? I went for Compton even though I was in two minds about making the trip. On the one hand seeing the Glanvilles would have been a bit like going to a Zoo and any photos uploaded may have acted like an incentive/justification for the ‘Phantom Butterfly Dumper’. On the other I’ve visited them at previous release sites, including Whitesheet Hill before making my Zoo analogy seem somewhat churlish and this site is slightly closer than that (only about half an hour away) and much, much closer than either the other Unauthorised releases or the native population on the Isle of Wight. It would also allow me a chance to do a recce of neighbouring Fontmell Down in readiness for the late summer Silver Spots. With my conscience assuaged I made my way over just before lunch and realizing that I’d parked in the wrong car park received a few Nettle stings on the way over to the main car park.
Once there I followed the main track down the hill where the hedge to my left gave way onto Fontmell and on my right was Compton. On my way to the little break and stile there were a few Brimstones rifting by and a couple of Specklies had set up territories at different point along the Compton hedge side. When I emerged from the cutting out and up to the Down proper I was at once surrounded by Adonis Blues. They seemed to be everywhere outnumbering every other butterfly put together. The odd Dingy, Grizzlie and Common Blue flew in amongst them but most of my sightings were of the electric blue variety. I’d taken one of the higher tracks and rounded the corner of the hill and I reasoned that any Marshies or Glannies would probably prefer the lower slopes with their miniature cliffs created by the passage of the grazers or by the downward creep of gravity. As I side stepped down the hill I spotted another observer who sure enough had a Marshie in his sights. After a bit of chatting and with his Glannie spots in mind I retreated back along the base of the hill where there were a couple more Marshies flying about amid the Small Heaths as well as a female Marshie looking much bigger than the others. As I drew level to the spot just in front of the stile a Glannie flashed past as if leading the way…
27-05-2023 1.JPG
27-05-2023 2.JPG
27-05-2023 3.JPG
Once over the stile I made my way down the track and the bank on the right was absolutely heaving in Blues. As I stood and tried to work out what each one was it became futile as there were so many trying to follow a single one was next to impossible. In order of numbers present the Adonis were by far the most numerous next, several orders of magnitude less, came the Common Blues then the Brown Argus and last but by no means least the Small Blues. There were several Brimstones drifting down along the bank and a Small White as well as two male Orange-tips that were patrolling up and down the path. Oh and there were also 5 Glannies…
27-05-2023 4.JPG
27-05-2023 5.JPG
27-05-2023 6.JPG
27-05-2023 7.JPG
I got chatting to a bloke with his new dog that was still in training and so had spooked my first attempts at some Glannie shots. He’d come up from Cornwall on his way to Sussex and so had called in hoping to find a Marshie so I pointed him towards the right spots and eventually I had the path pretty much to myself. So I settled into a pattern of watching a Glannie and then trying an approach using the shadow of the hedge to hide my silhouette. It seemed to work but often as I’d be making way on the next spot another Glannie would intercept the first and both would have a bit of a chase. When one would settle further away down the path by the time I’d approached it I’d see that it was the same one that I’d seen before. Whilst the path was good for getting uncluttered shots it played havoc with my knees and my jeans; when I’d stalk and then go down to try and get level with the grounded Glannie the sharp flints would on the track would stab into and embed themselves in my knees and extend the rip in my jeans in the process. At one point as I reached the end of the track I saw another stile on my left and as I approached it a Large White flashed by leaving a clear impression of pure white with a thick black margin. The stile took me onto Fontmell Down. The view was stunning but the slope was seriously steep!
27-05-2023 8.JPG
27-05-2023 9.JPG
27-05-2023 10.JPG
27-05-2023 11.JPG
27-05-2023 12.JPG
27-05-2023 13scale down.JPG
27-05-2023 14.JPG
27-05-2023 15.JPG
27-05-2023 16.JPG
27-05-2023 17.JPG
Eventually my meanderings up and down the track led me all the way up to the stile to Compton and so I climbed over and had another look at the Down itself again. The Adonis were better behaved on this side, possibly because they weren’t as cramped and hemmed in and so weren’t falling over each other the whole time as they had been on the bank along the path. I followed the track along the bottom of the down with the hedge left and the down sloping upwards on my right. Amongst the many Adonis there were also a few Common Blues and some Small Heath. I’m sure I spotted a few Glannies that must have come from over the hedge and as I returned back to the stile there were a few more and a Marshie all of which were even better behaved here. It seemed odd that they were clustered by the stile – perhaps it was a shortcut between the two hotspots?
27-05-2023 18.JPG
27-05-2023 20.JPG
27-05-2023 22.JPG
I strolled on up the track enjoying the sun beating down and the surprisingly the ascent up the steep slope passed quite quickly and easily. I was helped on the way by a Grizzlie and a few Brimstones as well as a Holly Blue and a Red Admiral; all of which gave me an excuse to pause and catch my breath. And so ended my visit to Compton Down. To be honest if I’d have known I’d have visited just for the Adonis Blues Glannies or no Glannies, however I think I’ll be sticking to Perham for Silver-spots as Fontmell looks like it could be very hard work for the Silver Spots and Perham would be much kinder on the knees and hips!
27-05-2023 23.JPG
A new site for me
With Glannies and Adonis
Worthwhile Compton Down

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That looks like another terrific spot to visit in the spring, Wurzel - never mind the new introductions, the rest sound splendid on their own (the Glanvilles look pretty happy there as well to be honest... :) )

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, lovely shots of the Glanville , :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that's another one I've yet to see :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It was a cracking site and to cap it all it's only a stones throw away from Fovant Badges which is crawling with Dukes 8) The only draw back is that the roads to get there aren't the best - but a little rally driving every now and again is fun :wink: :lol:
Cheers Goldie :D You're nearest set would be the other unauthorized release at Hutchinson's Bank - mind you if the Phantom Dumper keeps on I'm sure there will be some even nearer to you soon :?

Compton Down cont'd 27-05-2023

As I was driving back I realized that I still had 30 minutes or so to ‘kill’ and I’d still be home earlier than expected. Thus another good reason for visiting Compton presented itself, Fovant is a 2 minute diversion off the route. So I pulled into the lay-by and set off to see the state of play in the Quarry. Things had definitely picked up since the last time I’d visited. As I walked around the edge of the bowl at the base of the quarry I counted 6 Dukes perched at different points along the base of the bowl. As I watched a 7th flew down from the steep slope setting in motion a chain reaction, a cascading of Dukes taking to the wing. Each direction I looked had little brown and ginger blobs whizzing about. They’d settle only to take to the air once more when another Duke entered their contested air space. It was fantastic to see, if a little tricky photography wise. Also around were a Dingy and a Wall. The former seemed to enjoy getting embroiled in all the argy-bargy whereas the latter tried to keep a low profile, flying around the edges of the Bowl and when it had its first encounter with an angry Duke it chickened out and retreated away up the side of the down. :lol:
27-05-2023 24.JPG
27-05-2023 25.JPG
27-05-2023 26.JPG
27-05-2023 27.JPG
27-05-2023 28.JPG
27-05-2023 29.JPG
I then set off up the diagonal path and started counting the butterflies as I went. First 2 Dukes then 2 Dingies, another Duke and another then a Wall followed by a Dingy, then 4 Dukes then 3 more and then another 4 etc etc. :shock: And so it continued, I was only half way up the track and I’d lost count at 23 and so for fear of double counting (the butterflies had started taking to the wing) I gave up the mathematics and just enjoyed the spectacle of so many Dukes, more than I’d ever seen before it was amazing. Some were pristine, others threadbare. One looked very orange and another very dark and one at first looked like a smaller version of a Specklie as it was an ab.leucodes. It was unbelievable to be surrounded by so many of this ‘rare’ butterfly. Unfortunately my 30 mins was almost up and so very begrudgingly I made my way back to the car and headed home, still slightly stunned by what I’d witnessed.
27-05-2023 30.JPG
27-05-2023 31.JPG
27-05-2023 32.JPG
27-05-2023 33.JPG
27-05-2023 34.JPG
27-05-2023 35.JPG
27-05-2023 36.JPG
27-05-2023 37.JPG
27-05-2023 38.JPG
27-05-2023 39.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:37 pm I wasn’t supposed to be out today but all the preparations for K’s 18th on the following day were completed much quicker than expected so my wife suggested that I should go out.
Sounds like she wanted you out of the way Wurzel :wink: :lol:
Wurzel wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:37 pm or should I try somewhere new and go to Compton Down? I went for Compton even though I was in two minds about making the trip. On the one hand seeing the Glanvilles would have been a bit like going to a Zoo and any photos uploaded may have acted like an incentive/justification for the ‘Phantom Butterfly Dumper’.
We called in to Compton Down on our way down to Dorset a couple of years ago. I was in two minds myself about the Glanvilles, it was nice to see them but they somehow seemed out of place, a bit 'wrong'. I certainly wouldn't have gone put of my way but as we were near enough passing anyway, why not.
We have also stopped off next door at Fontmell Down later in the year for Silver-spotted Skippers and second brood Adonis Blue. Like you say a steep site but a cracking place. I remember one year someone chasing a Clouded Yellow down the slope whereupon it turned around and flew back up and settled close to where I was standing higher up. There's a lesson there :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D I did wonder about that - but then previously my presence had been requested? :? I didn't mind being sent packing though :wink: "as we were near enough passing anyway, why not." that was kind of my reasoning too - they seem to have established themselves here and the habitat looks more 'natural' than some of the other release sites but only time will tell. Interestingly Wiltshire BC are now collecting records of Glannies from nearby Whitesheet which is giving them a slight air of authorisation? :wink: Speaking of which...

Priddy Mineries 29-05-2023

With the ‘extinction’ of Small Pearls at Bentley Wood I’ve had to look further afield for this species. Last year I paid a trip to Priddy Mineries and so a precedent was set. I’d seen a few reports of them from the Mendip Hills and this time last year they’d been out for a couple of weeks already so with a head wind Philzoid and I made good time and were soon parked up in Stockwell Wood. As we left the car park and crossed the road it still felt quite cool but the sun was shining so my spirits remained high…until we were out on the exposed path where the wind fairly whipped across the boggy grasses dragging the temperature down. We pressed on hoping that we’d find the butterflies in the sheltered spots or that they’d come up in between the strong gusts. We checked all the likely looking spots around the Hillock and worked all the way round past the pond and on to examine the steep banks and deep hollows all for a few sightings; a 4 spotted chaser and a couple of Small heath. In fact as I had a few problems with a new memory card we ended up back at the Hillock and I had precisely nothing to show for our efforts.

With a working card swapped up we took several wanders around the hill, criss-crossing it by all the narrow tracks and scanning into the various hollows and dips but again there was nothing. I tried to work out what was wrong - was it too early or too cold or too windy or could it be a triumvirate of factors? Whatever the reason we decided to cut our losses and head to another site. The butterflies must have been aware of our planned departure because they chose this moment to start appearing. It started with a Green-veined White that was flying along the vegetation on the verge. We moved on and something caught my eye up near the bank that runs parallel to the path at this spot. A clump of vegetation, a mix of Hawthorn, Gorse and Bramble was acting like a windbreak and the butterflies were keenly utilizing it. The butterfly that had caught my attention was a Common Blue and as it flew towards the sheltered inlet we followed it and stumbled onto a Greenstreak and a pair of Dingies that seemed intent on beating the other to a pulp. After this little interlude we followed the path and turned left along a little track up to the end of the bank where there was another natural ‘windbreak, this time a large Hawthorn. As the tree was slightly less dwarfish here there were a few more butterflies taking advantage of the calmer air. There was only a single Dingy but also 2 Greenstreaks on the Hawthorn itself as well as about 4 Small Heath fluttering around the vegetation at the bottom and up the slope of the bank. When almost back to the main road a Small Copper made us tarry a little and then we were off home…well with a slight detour to Whitesheet Hill first.
29-05-2023 1.JPG
29-05-2023 2.JPG
29-05-2023 3.JPG
29-05-2023 4.JPG
29-05-2023 5.JPG
We started off at the Quarry area with a Dingy and Wall on the walk up. Keeping to the middle paths brought us to an abrut stop at the end at the shear slope which the butterflies seemed to love, probably as we couldn’t safely follow them up it. A brace of Marshies were flying around as well as a few Small Heaths and the Blues were represented by a Common and an Adonis. We wandered back though the old earth workings and then down into the largest one at the other end. Scanning about we found 2 more Marshies, a Grizzlie, 3 Dingies and what the target species of the trip – a Glannie. The problem came form trying to work out what to photograph first. We then set off out of the to investigate the rest of the Down and as we started down the narrow diagonal track another Wall passed us and we stopped on the way down for a Glannie, a Grizzlie and a Brown Argus.
29-05-2023 9.JPG
29-05-2023 10.JPG
29-05-2023 12.JPG
At the bottom we wandered along rutted trackway heading towards the ‘hotspot’, although we were having such success that I started to wonder if I could count the entire site as this? Along the bottom a few Glannies flew, stopping occasionally on the dry, hard ground. Some very large Small Heath would occasionally lead my gaze away from my intended target. A Greenstreak sat amid a low growing patch of Bramble and the greener, flatter spots all seemed to have their own collection of Common Blue ad Brown Argus. A Marshie stopped momentarily and before we knew it we’d reached the corner and so carried on round. A Red Admiral and Marshie were waiting for us here and as we started to walk over lusher grasses Adonis Blues started to appear in good numbers. Oddly this little bit in the past has been the centre of the Glannies activity but today it was surprisingly quiet. Perhaps they’d emerged or roosted here in the past and now had dispersed across the hillside? Whatever the reason we decided to head back to where we’d already seen them flying and so partially retraced our steps. I say partially because after a short while we branched off from the path and strolled back to the corner along the hedge line, though the taller and lusher grass.
29-05-2023 14.JPG
29-05-2023 15.JPG
29-05-2023 17.JPG
29-05-2023 18.JPG
When we got to the large patch of Bramble on the corner from this lower approach a Marshie was there to greet us along with a Brown Argus, Common Blue and soon to be ubiquitous Small Heaths. Form here we worked backed along the bottom track for a while, following various Glannies which were now acting much more civilized like. The occasional other butterfly would view for my attention; a Marshie or Brown Argus, but on the whole I kept my eyes on the prize and went for the Glannies. The ones here seemed to prefer sitting on the deck with their wings open. It made open wing shots tricky but to be honest I’d already had more than a few of those from Compton so I didn’t mind and it gave me a chance to enjoy the different hues of ginger that they possessed; some were bright orange whilst others were much more honeyed. Our meanderings were interrupted by the local cattle heading of to fresh pasture but seeing them explained the gouged and rutted paths and trackways.
29-05-2023 19.JPG
29-05-2023 20.JPG
29-05-2023 21.JPG
29-05-2023 22.JPG
29-05-2023 23.JPG
29-05-2023 24.JPG
29-05-2023 25.JPG
While Phizoid set up camp by their water butt waiting for a warbler to have a drink I had a quick look around the little hollow at the base of the hill. A couple of Dingies were present along with 3 Small Heath and a lonesome Adonis. And with that our time was up and so we set off straight up the steep slope, from the hollow to the car park. It was great to see the Wiltshire Glannies again and they seem to be established here and will remain so for a while yet hopefully.
29-05-2023 26.JPG
A lack of Small Pearls
But consolation Glannies
Good ole Whitesheet Hill

Have a goodun

Wurzel
P.S. A week later and reports started coming in of the Small Pearls in the Mendip Hills reaching 100+ and at least 6 flying around Hillock at the Mineries so it seems that I had the answer to my question – we were too early, lesson learned!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sidbury 30-05-2023

After a successful recce the week before it now came to the actual event, a meet-up with Dave to show him the delights of Sidbury Hill. Unfortunately I arrived a little alter than planned for as for some reason there was a bit of snarly traffic in Amesbury and I got trapped behind a Horse Box from Bulford to Tidworth but no bother we were soon wandering across the gently sloping grasslands from where we’d abandoned the cars. On the walk up to the first ‘hotspot’ the odd Adonis flew amongst many more Common Blues, their vivid colour allowing identification even from a distance and there were the other usual suspects – Dingies and many, many Small Heath. As we left the bone-dry track behind and made our way across the field towards the far corner where the Dukes like to fly the vegetation scratched at my boots from either side of the narrow trackways and when were about half way between the now torn and ex-verdant path and the corner a Large Skipper popped up – my first for the year.
30-05-2023 1.JPG
Once in the corner section we wandered about taking in this and that; a Brown Argus was dominating the usual Duke spot seeing off a Dingy Skipper as we approached it and a Common Blue was flashing about along the path. A small brown/orange butterfly buzzed past and there was a Duke and it looked different to one of the pair that I’d seen previously and added another species to the days tally. Once at the end of the path we entered the shade of the Beech wood and I managed to relocate the Birds Nest Orchids among the White Helleborines. It was quite tricky even though I knew for a fact that they were there and their whereabouts to about a metre but if I hadn’t have done my recce visit we could have walked straight past them as their colour matched almost perfectly the background colour of the leaf litter.
30-05-2023 3.JPG
30-05-2023 4.JPG
Once back in the sun we walked across the path to the Springy turf area again there were the usual suspects; Brown Argus, Common Blues, the occasional Adonis and a Dingy Skipper but the Greenstreaks were missing and there weren’t any Small Coppers to brighten up the blue so we pressed on up to the Crossroads. As soon as we reached the top of the rise the Walls were immediately upon us. Even at this time of day they were very active, zooming off along the paths, battling each other and generally juts being boisterous and very annoying in that their antics were nigh on impossible to capture on our cameras. All of this activity must have started to have an effect on them (or possibly they became used to our presence and had worked out that we weren’t much of a threat?) as they started to settle more frequently, down on the track at first but then increasingly in the vegetation. At one point a Red Admiral shot past busy climbing to the top of the hill I’ve no doubt leaving us to continue with our attempts at Wall photography.
30-05-2023 5.JPG
30-05-2023 5a.JPG
30-05-2023 6.JPG
30-05-2023 7.JPG
Next on the itinerary was the Ring and so we passed through the gate and into the ring by the old log where the shorter turf seemed to have a had a deleterious effect on the butterfly numbers here. In previous years you’d be greeted by Walls and Grizzlies, Dingies and Small Heath, Marshies and Common Blues. In fact you’d not actually have needed to leave the first little stretch. As it was today the first little stretch saw a Red Admiral (probably the same one that had passed us at the Crossroads), Brown Argus, a Grizzlie and 2 Walls. So we carried on round the bottom of the ring. Things picked up round the first corner as the ‘ring’ is more of an ‘ellipse as this looked less grazed and there were more nectaring opportunities available. There were a few more Brown Argus, nowhere near the number seen during the recce as these must have dispersed, but still more than a singleton. Also flying along the bottom of the ring was an aged Dingy, pale and spectral looking in its dotage, a Common and an Adonis Blue and a few Small Heath. A couple of Small Coppers showed up and also the smallest Common Blue I’d ever seen and a few Walls made a pretence of preaching only for my autofocus, knees or infrared sensor to set them off.
30-05-2023 9.JPG
30-05-2023 10.JPG
When we reached the ancient entrance to the fort, a break in the ring, we climbed out and walked across to then climb down into the next section. The view from here is always impressive but today particularly so as the wind played with the tops of the grasses forming waves across the sea ofgreen. The only things missing were so White Horses and the tang of salt in the air and we could have been on the caost. A Wall was hanging around here and playing very hard to get but it out us onto a very fresh Small Copper. The blood orange forewings were blazing in the strong sunshine and it’s behaviour suggested that it was a female, never flying far, wandering around in the vegetation. We left it to its own devices and then carried on in the other side of the ring. The theme of fresh females continued here with a gorgeous female Common Blue that was flying amid the usual suspects. As we entered the more wooded section a Red Admiral was fluttering about and there were plenty of Brown Argus but also a lot of increasingly fresh cow pats so we retreated back round the ring to avoid running into the Highland Cattle that frequent here.
30-05-2023 11.JPG
30-05-2023 13.JPG
30-05-2023 14.JPG
30-05-2023 15.JPG
30-05-2023 16.JPG
30-05-2023 16a.JPG
Our trip back round produced more of the same butterflies but when we got back to the there were a couple of Walls that looked to be courting. The ring on the other side looked more overgrown so we climbed over the log and had a look at this section. Among the taller grasses just past the log we found a Small Copper, Brown Argus, Common Blue but best of all another Duke. I’d heard that they could be found across the entire site but I’d never seen them in this part before. While we were enjoying the Duke and contemplating whether to carry on round one of the Highlanders appeared which put paid to that plan and so we worked our way back and out of the ring. We stayed on our side of the fence and worked back down the hill, hugging the treeline eventually reaching the little valley where we ate our lunch and watched Common Blues and Grizzlies and a Specklie added itself to the tally.
30-05-2023 17.JPG
30-05-2023 18.JPG
We then followed the various paths back into the corner and from there set out diagonally across the field. Small Heath and various Blues and Skippers all flew but finally we found a Greenstreak. It was hanging about down low in the vegetation near to one of the clumps of Hawthorn that line the main path. It was quite tired and worn but it was still nice to see. That just left some Marshies and Small Blues to add to the list and so we followed the main paths down the hill and round past the Dew Pond/puddle where a Marshie was just sitting there out in the open. It would have made a fanstastic shot but all too soon it was away and lost somewhere in the jungle of vegetation in the main field. Still it was on the list and so we set off looking for the final species.
30-05-2023 19.JPG
30-05-2023 20.JPG
Down at the triangle was where I’d seen the Small Blues on the recce and that’s where they were again this time. They weren’t up for much mud puddling this time but they were showing nicely among the taller grasses. While we were watching these a Marshie also appeared on scene. It made its entrance at the same time as a Wall and whilst this disappeared off into the distance the Marshie hung around and threw a few poses. It seemed like a fitting end to the trip, ending it on a bang and not a whimper and so we strolled back to the car and headed off our separate ways. I drove home with my slight perturbence at the lower numbers countered by the range and also tempered by enjoying such a good day with such great company.
30-05-2023 21.JPG
30-05-2023 22.JPG
30-05-2023 23.JPG
30-05-2023 25.JPG
Time to play tour guide
All was where it should have been
The recce paid off

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 01-06-2023

Having survived taking the girls on a shopping trip to S’Hampton (my wallet was suffering from some serious weight loss) we arrived back in Salisbury much earlier than expected and with plenty of time for my wife to prepare for her tutoring. So as to give her some peace I very generously offered to head out with my camera. As the Brown Argus and Common Blues were out elsewhere it now seemed like a reasonable time to check in at Middle Street.

The walk over was quiet with the only thing of note being a Grey Wagtail. As I walked into the reserve I spotted a couple of tiny silver Holly Blues jinking about at the end of the path. Of course the minute I made to approach they were both up and off but a Red Admiral was much more reticent and looked to be investigating various Nettles as suitable depositories for her eggs. The ‘through’ path along the back where I saw my first OT was so overgrown that it was impenetrable so I backed up and took the parallel main path. At the cross-tracks I went right and skirted round the pond where there were several varieties of Damselflies.
01-06-2023 1.JPG
01-06-2023 2.JPG
01-06-2023 3.JPG
01-06-2023 4.JPG
01-06-2023 5.JPG
01-06-2023 6.JPG
Following the circular track round brought me to the side of Dip 1. Before entering a brace of Small Whites led me on a bit of a wild goose chase and I left them to their annoying ways and entered into Dip 1. About half way across a Large Skipper sat for just long enough to grab a few record shots. As I went to move in a passing fly bumped into it and it zipped off over the surrounding grass heads.
01-06-2023 7.JPG
01-06-2023 8.JPG
I climbed out and followed the Bank path towards the ‘End’ scanning down along the bank to the football pitch on one side and Dip2 and Dip3 on the other. All was quiet and before I knew it I was wading into the End field – well that’s what it felt like as the grasses on either side of the narrow track were as high as my waist. As the overhanging grasses bushed against my thighs a Common Blue hove into view. It landed in one of the little ‘clearings’ in the grass and by finding the narrowest strip of tall grasses I was able to step over into the clearing and follow it without any trampling. As I got ready to start clicking away I became aware of a smaller Moff like butterfly that was also occupying the same space. In the past I’ve seen both Dingy and Grizzlies here so with fingers crossed that it was one of these two and not just a ‘moff’ I focused in on the newbie. It was a Grizzlie and one in quite reasonable attire too. Brilliant! Whether there is a breeding population here or more likely it’s a wanderer from another site I couldn’t say; it was just a pleasure to see it here once more.
01-06-2023 9.JPG
01-06-2023 10.JPG
After plenty of shots and a quick walk about the little track to the rest of the End I relocated the Common Blue and so spent some time with it before wandering slowly back along the Bank path. The Large Skipper was in the same spot back in Dip 1but again a/the pesky fly kept bothering it, eventually sending it reeling off once again across the vegetation. With that a feeling pleasantly warm and contented I made for home where a Holly Blue greeted me at the end of the road.
01-06-2023 11.JPG
01-06-2023 12.JPG
01-06-2023 13.JPG
01-06-2023 14.JPG
The Grizzlie was back
Inhabiting Middle Street
Despite the June gap

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another memorable day at Sidbury, Wurzel! It has such terrific range of species and though it may take all day to see every one, it is definitely worth it. Such an excellent tour guide as well... :wink: Thank you! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You won't be late this year Wurzel catching up with your reports :D the weather is seeing to that :roll:

Some lovely Butterfly shots especially of the Grizzled Skipper I must really try for that one next year, my Grandson has promised to take me earlier next year to find them. It may be my Last chance, age is catching up :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Any time :D Do think Greenwings would be up for hiring me? :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D Tell me about Goldie :roll: I'd much rather be slaving away getting shots out in the field than processing them at home :( There has to be and end in sight surely? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 02-06-2023

This was going to be one of those trips that I love. Some free time to go and just see what there was about as I wasn’t travelling far to a specific site for a specific species and I’d pretty much caught up with the species that had already emerged. Time to kick back and wander and let me lens take it all in. From the main car park I worked through to the bowl with Bokerley Dyke on the far side but rather than following the usual animal tracks down and then up again and so crossing the bowl I worked round to the start of the Dyke by using the track that hugged the hedge all the way round. At first there was a bed of Thistles to circumnavigate which was playing host to a Red Admiral and a gaggle of Brimstones but after this it became a case of grass to the left of me hedge to the right. Stuck in the middle was a Marshie, slightly older then some I’d seen but a great way to get started proper. There was also a Dingy and a pair of Small Coppers, one worn and the other mighty fine.
02-06-2023 1.JPG
02-06-2023 2.JPG
02-06-2023 3.JPG
I’d reached the start of the Dyke and so I set off downhill fist of all along the top path with a few Brimstones and Small Heath fluttering ahead of me, as the base of the dyke was so overgrown. Shortly before the ‘bridge’ I clambered down and risked Adder bites, Nettle stings and briar cuts as I’d spotted another Marshie. As I got in close for a few shots a Grizzlie whose territory I was intruding upon scolded me and out of spite chased the Marshie off. No matter I watched as it flew over the bridge and then slightly further along the Dyke so I was able to follow it and continue getting some shots.

This little section over the bridge is often the best spot in the whole reserve. It’s a regular sun trap and the steep sides of the Dyke offer protection from even the strongest of gusts from the prevailing wind. It came into its own again today with Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, Brown Argus, Common Blue and a further three Marshies. The best butterfly though was found down in the very base of the ditch where it sat or clambered about amongst the low growing vegetation. It was a Small Blue, not a new species for this area of the Dyke but never this far along. I did encounter a few problems here though. First of all the Small Blue as previously mentioned insisted in sitting in the base so I spent a lot of my time checking the floor rather than the vegetation so as not flatten it under my boots. The second problem I encountered was that the Marshies were very boisterous and so as I’d stalk up to my quarry another would fly along the Dyke and they would both go up in a battling ball, I swear that I could hear the incomer chucking to itself. To make matters worse the two would become three as the third unseen Marshie would join the fray. I worked round these problems and soon was happy to leave the confines of the Dyke.
02-06-2023 4.JPG
02-06-2023 5.JPG
02-06-2023 6.JPG
02-06-2023 7.JPG
02-06-2023 7a.JPG
02-06-2023 8.JPG
02-06-2023 9.JPG
02-06-2023 10.JPG
02-06-2023 11.JPG
02-06-2023 12.JPG
02-06-2023 13.JPG
02-06-2023 14.JPG
That was when I encountered problem number three, it had gotten very windy whilst I had been down in the ditch. I worked round this by looking in at all the sheltered little nooks and crannies that the open grassland had to offer, the leeward side of a Hawthorn, a dip in the ground or a rut along the path. I also kept an eye out across the grass tops for any butterfly that was struggling against the wind or being carried along by it to see where it would be ‘dropped’ off. In this way I picked up various bits and bobs and the ones that stood out were a Brown Argus and Small Heath sharing a grass stem and a Greasy Fritillary that managed flay around and drop into some grasses during a momentary lull in the wind. As I approached the Big Butt (I don’t know why I haven’t called it this before?) a Grizzlie flew up to meet me and a Peacock flashed past. I took a quick walk around the sheltered area of the Big Butt and there were 3 Common blues, 2 Small Heath and a Grizzlie and then I was off on my way to the half way point…
02-06-2023 15.JPG
02-06-2023 16.JPG
02-06-2023 17.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Once again I have to award you a :mrgreen: simply for being able to count Martin Down as "local", Wurzel. Such variety - I'd be down there every day I think. Great Marshie shots too - you can never have too many of those. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”