Unusual Meadow Brown or Grayling ?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Devon Dave

Unusual Meadow Brown or Grayling ?

Post by Devon Dave »

Looking for Purple Hairstreak nectaring on Bramble and in between rain showers my eye was drawn to this specimen near me on Bramble Blossom which I assumed to be a Meadow Brown but somewhat resembled a Grayling in some respects. Unfortunately it only flitted on various blossom heads for about 30 seconds before flying off and never opened its wings whilst settled.Maybe its a common variant of a normal Meadow Brown that I have not noticed before but any thoughts on this one welcome.
Attachments
DSCN9988 (2).JPG
DSCN9991 (2).JPG
DSCN9986 (2).JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unusual Meadow Brown or Grayling ?

Post by Padfield »

Hi Dave. This is a grayling through and through.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Devon Dave

Post by Devon Dave »

Many thanks Guy, thought it might be, but see them on the coast normaly ,never in semi woodland inland on Dartmoor before and with such vivid colour markings. Mstery solved for me, cheers.
David M

Post by David M »

It's always a surprise when you see them nectaring from bramble too. They are keen feeders though (I have seen them on buddleia in certain areas).
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

David M wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:18 am It's always a surprise when you see them nectaring from bramble too. They are keen feeders though (I have seen them on buddleia in certain areas).
Yes I've seen Graylings on the large Buddlejas by the toilet block at Minsmere RSPB Reserve.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

As a child around 1952/53, I fondly recall spotting Graylings on Buddleia in Gorleston, Great Yarmouth. The nearest known habitat for these butterflies was a railway line approximately a mile away.

Fast forward to the late 1970s, and the Buddleia in a friend's garden below Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham, was home to Graylings. That beautiful garden was a paradise of numerous superb butterflies: Dark Green and Silver-washed Fritillaries, and on rare occasions, even White-letter Hairstreaks. The valesina SW Frit variant was seen in the memorable year of 1976. Nearby woodland clearings initially hosted Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, although sadly, they had disappeared by the 1980s.

Those were indeed the good old butterfly days.

In about an hour, coinciding with the Test cricketers' lunch break, I plan to venture a couple of miles up the road. There, I anticipate, with a hint of excitement, that I may possibly spot my first Scotch Argus of 2023.

This text had been 'beautified' (!) by Chat GPT

Jack

Return to “Identification”