Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Trevor

Post by Goldie M »

That's an unusual Wall Trevor, could it be an ab do you think ? Lovely Marbled White shots as well :mrgreen: Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks David. Those Walls are not too early for High and Over.
The site is in full sun from early on and the plentiful dense shrubbery gives
protection from the wind, particularly when it's blowing from the west.

A new one on me too Paul. As for Meadow Browns and Gate Keepers
I saw a few bleached specimens yesterday out of the many hundreds flying.

Thanks Goldie. Not an ab but a problem during the pupal stage.
Pleased you enjoyed the Marbled Whites.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday I went over to Burgess Hill in the vain hope of finding Brown Hairstreaks.
Although I saw plenty of brown and orange flashes from the eye taxing Gate Keepers,
not a single BH was seen. Among all the faded Gate Keepers and Meadow Browns seen,
there were a few fresh specimens to be found.
During a cloudy spell Small coppers were seen basking on tall Grass stems, and were
off like lightning once the sun reappeared.

An interesting morning with lots of searching.
Attachments
P1390758.JPG
P1390786.JPG
P1390763.JPG
P1390766.JPG
P1390775.JPG
P1390783.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

The weather forecast for this weekend was dire, wind and rain both days.
But early this morning I stepped outside, and it was blue sky and not a breath of wind.
With Chalkhill Blues just over 10 miles from home, this morning seemed ideal to catch up with them.
When I arrived near Birling Gap it was cool with some cloud obscuring the sun, and a slight breeze.
Finding roosting Chalkhills was not difficult, but most were on tall swaying grass stems. But then pure luck!
I found a pair roosting together on a seed head with a substantial stem, and this was perfectly still.
I had plenty of time to do some gardening in order to get a clear view, then knelt down and waited for some sun.
I was hoping to get an opening up sequence as they stirred, and that's exactly what I got! Plus a grass hopper.
But only a few seconds after they had both opened, one flew off. Looking around the area as I stood up
there were many males dotted around with wings wide open. What a sight! No females were seen.
Attachments
P1390808.JPG
P1390811.JPG
P1390809.JPG
P1390812.JPG
P1390817.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

That was worth waiting for, Trevor! :) Many's the time I've waited by blue butterflies hoping the sun would come back out...

Cheers,

Dave
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Lovely trio - getting out early paid off!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Chalkhills Trevor :D :mrgreen: I've noticed that the weather people are being a bit more pessimistic with their forecasts so at least when they get it wrong we don't mind as much - unless you've stayed in all day and needn't have that is :? :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Beautiful Chalk Hill Blues Trevor :mrgreen: :D
Another :mrgreen: for the fact you had a window in the weather yesterday (Saturday). We had rain here from the early hours right up through the evening, a horrible day :(

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Great CHB sequence, Trevor. How I wish I had this glorious butterfly on my doorstep. :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for the comments on the Chalkhill Blues.

Before the deluge!
This morning I visited Herstmonceux Castle gardens. The number of 'whites ' flying was astounding.
It was obvious the the warm sun wasn't going to last, as some evil looking dark cloud was looming.
So a very quick tour found a single Small Tortoiseshell, a surprise, male Silver Washed Fritillary,
a female Brimstone and loads of Gate Keepers.
The first spots of rain suggested a visit to the cafe might be a good idea. Then the heavens opened
for about half an hour, with some flooding on the way home.

Thanks again for your comments,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1390896.JPG
P1390881.JPG
P1390899.JPG
P1390874.JPG
P1390865.JPG
P1390866.JPG
P1390900.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the three Gatekeeper shot Trevor :D To mind my mind it looks like a spot the ball/Gatekeeper competition :wink: :D
Spot the ball.JPG
Good news on the Brostreak front - I found a male on Sunday and one today (usual spot - Nettle patch :wink: ) so give it a week or two and there will be plenty of lovely ladies looking splendid :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

A pleasure to catch up on your diary just now Trevor. So much to enjoy but the two purple species and those chalkhills top the list for me. Lovely photos as ever.
David M

Post by David M »

Nice selection, Trevor. Glad you were inside when that deluge arrived!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Chalkhill Blues Trevor, I've been putting off going to Temple Ewell to see them because of the traffic going to Dover, I must make the effort now things have settled . Lets hope the weather settles too :roll: Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Ben, David and Goldie.

After viewing Dave's ( millerd ) images of two Purple Emperors on the ground together,
it reminded me of an occasion when I had two down on a log in 2017.
I went to Chiddingfold Forest in the Spring of 2017 for the Wood Whites, whilst searching for them
I found a large log lying in a ditch. Thinking ahead I carried the log to the triangle and hid it to
await the Emperor season. Late June came and I retrieved the log and baited it with Tesco tuna juice.
Later the same week on my way home from Wiltshire I called in at Chiddingfold and met Phillip Underwood
who told me that the PE's were coming down regularly, and he had seen two on that 'old log' !
I was delighted when, a little later, two male PE's, again appeared on that log and were captured for posterity.

Unfortunately the surface of the log was not a photogenic as I had hoped.

Trevor.
Attachments
22/6/2017.
22/6/2017.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I remember the log!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday 1st August offered the best weather forecast, locally, of the week.
Although far from ideal I thought a short trip to Horseshoe Plantation might be the best plan.
As the strong wind was blowing from the West I went to the East facing side of the wooded area.
This offered great protection from the wind, and I soon found my first butterfly, a basking Red Admiral.
In fairly quick succession I had a male and female Wall Brown in the bag. These were followed by
the find of the morning and what I mistook for my first Summer brood Adonis Blue. In fact it turned
out to be a very bright, fresh Common Blue. The ' electric blue ' sheen on it's hind wings had to be
witnessed to be believed, very Adonis like.
Also around in some numbers were fairly fresh Brown Argus, and of course many Chalkhilll Blues,
duos and trios of which were easy to find nectaring on Knapweed, and all were fresh.

One unusual beastie found was a very large, green Grass Hopper or Locust. It was resting on a Sycamore
leaf which offers a sense of scale. After three hours on site it was time for breakfast!

Trevor.
Attachments
P1390921.JPG
P1390995.JPG
P1390937.JPG
P1390934.JPG
P1390973.JPG
The ultra blue Common Blue.
The ultra blue Common Blue.
P1390987.JPG
P1390989.JPG
Synchronised nectaring Chalkhills!
Synchronised nectaring Chalkhills!
P1400015.JPG
P1400007.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I can see why you almost mistook that Common for an Adonis Blue Trevor :shock: the blue is electric looking 8) :mrgreen: Sterling work with the Walls as well 8) Dare I say it? Weather at Tidworth is looking good next Wednesday(9th) with Thursday (10th) even better - fingers crossed it plays out :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel,
A certain law dictated that male Brownies were coming down to Wild Carrot yesterday at Shipton B.
So my shins are bruised from constantly kicking myself for staying local. I so nearly went!
Much longer and the male BH will be showing signs of wear.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I popped over there yesterday lunch time (one of the advantages of living where I do :wink: ) and it was pretty good - I reckon another week and the place will be crawling with female Brostreaks :D Hope you got lucky today with them :D .

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”