Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Wurzel

Post by trevor »

Take several :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Eastern Orange Tip.
Interesting to note that our OT has white/ mottled green hind wings and usually
chooses Cow Parsley where they tend to blend in when at rest, whereas your
Eastern variant is yellow/mottled green and chooses yellow multi head flowers.

Amazing,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

More :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Orange Tip dipped in mustard, Wurzel, and for the Cleopatra with the cunning open-wing shot.

Looking forward to what comes next... :)

Cheers,

Dave
kevling

Post by kevling »

Glad you had a nice trip to Corfu Wurzel. As an Orange Tip fan, I guess I better join the queue with :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That lemony underside is superb.
I do like Cleopatra's too, with the orange top wing, a stunning butterfly.

Kind Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Once I knew that they were about their complimentary camo allowed me to find them easily - I'd just look for the yellow flowers.I did see some 'normal' Orange-tips and they were, like you say, on the white cow parsley :D
Cheers Dave :D The next installment may take a while as I'm still only just into May and we're almost in July :shock: Still maybe I'll be able to get one a month done so as to clutter up too much :wink:
Cheers Kevling :D They were one of the enduring highlights of the trip - especially as I'd not expected to see anything as gaudy as that 8)

Martin Down 12-05-2023

After some serious rally driving skills I was soon parked in the main car park at Martin Down. We’d reached the time of year when the Dyke calls to me and so I eschew the Sillen’s Lane end. All was quiet, barring Skylarks, Corn Buntings and Linnets but you get my drift, as I walked down one side of the bowl like field and up the other to the start of Bokerley. Once there I climbed down into the Dyke and started working my way along the bottom and almost immediately I was greeted by a little brown blur that announced a Dingy. A few Brimstones drifted by against the walls of the Dyke and amongst them was a peachy coloured Painted Lady. Of more interest was a smaller, bright orange butterfly which I was only able to confirm as my first Small Copper of the year after it had completed a dizzying and frenetic run down to the ‘bridge’ and back. Once I’d gathered a few shots here I continued on into the next section beyond the ‘bridge’ where there was another Dingy and another Small Copper. The grass was still relatively short here and the selection of wildflowers wasn’t at its peak so I wasn’t that surprised that I didn’t see a Marshie though they can’t be far off.
12-05-2023a 1.JPG
12-05-2023a 2.JPG
12-05-2023a 4.JPG
12-05-2023a 5.JPG
12-05-2023a 6.JPG
I climbed out and took to the path which fused with the main drag towards the Butts whilst keeping a beady eye on the vegetation below in the Dyke. On the way I found a courting pair of Brimstones and as usual I waited to see if the male would be successful but once again he was flipped the ‘bird’. I’ve seen plenty of these failed courtships yet have still to witness a successful one. The walk also added a further three Dingies to the tally and when I reached the Butts I strayed from the path parallel to the Dyke and investigated the grasses along the foot of the Butts. All was surprisingly quiet. I’d hoped for possibly a Brown Argus or Small Heath but a Small Heath was the only butterfly of note and so I got back onto the path as quickly as possible.
12-05-2023a 7.JPG
12-05-2023a 8.JPG
12-05-2023a 9.JPG
The sides of the Dyke at times were covered by a dense profusion of shrubby plants giving it the impression of needing a bit of a trim. These heavily foliaged spots were interspersed by sections of closely cropped grass and it was on the margins of these two habitats that I found mots of my Grizzlies and by the time I’d reached the halfway spot my total had reached 5. There had also been a Dingy Skipper and a wandering female Red Admiral which had been seeking possible sites to lay, flitting from one leaf to another. When I finally got to the half way point I strolled along the path and there on the end of the ‘hedge’ on the Brambles was a Greenstreak.
12-05-2023a 10.JPG
12-05-2023a 11.JPG
12-05-2023a 13.JPG
12-05-2023a 14.JPG
12-05-2023a 15.JPG
12-05-2023a 16.JPG
12-05-2023a 17.JPG
Once I’d gotten a few shots, or at least tried to, I strolled back up the track but rather than hanging around or carrying on along the Dyke for the rest of the way I followed the line of the hedge back to the fence line demarking the reserve and the neighbouring farm. What had led me here was a chocolate and lime butterfly – a Greenstreak fluttering low to the ground. When I looked up after I’d finished photographing it I spotted another couple hanging out in the trees among the Lon-horn Moths. As I watched and tried for some shots I’d generally get one in focus and the other would arrive and they would spiral upwards locked in battle. Once they’d settle down I’d move in and either the same thing would happen or they’d flop over onto one side to catch the most of the suns rays possible. Also here were four Brimstones; 2 courting couples so I once again set to waiting to see if they would be successful. There was a fair amount of clambering about and over the female as well as some very short flights to another section of cover but both of the outcomes were the same; no joy for the males! At one point a male OT on patrol tried to get in the mix and he got an even more vociferous denial.
12-05-2023a 18.JPG
12-05-2023a 19.JPG
12-05-2023a 20.JPG
12-05-2023a 21.JPG
12-05-2023a 22.JPG
12-05-2023a 23.JPG
12-05-2023a 24.JPG
12-05-2023a 25.JPG
When the Brimstones had gone their separate ways I set off back towards the main track in a bit of a rush as I needed to get a wriggle on to be back home by curfew. On the way another Grizzlie showed up as did a Peacock but I was in a right rush so most of what I saw was a bit of a blur. As I drove home I felt pleased with the additions to the year list – Dukes, Dingies and Small Coppers but I was left wondering where all the Blues had gotten too?
12-05-2023a 26.JPG
12-05-2023a 27.JPG
Onto Martin Down
Or is that Skipper Heaven
Small blurs everywhere!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

A Green Hairstreak worthy of the name - almost a continuous chalk line on that one! :) Such a good selection of Skippers too - Martin Down always provides them in numbers, and especially the Grizzlies. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D

Mottisfont 15-05-2023

At this time of year my wife and I often divvy up the days of the weekend; one day for butterflying and the other for family visits, trips etc. I’d opted for the previous day for my butterflying and I’d spent most of my time out in the field looking up and wondering if the forecast sun would ever materialize. Eventually it did but about four hours later than expected and it only remained out and came on strong during the drive home. In contrast today was wall to wall sunshine, a lighter breeze and steadily rising temperatures – as is often the way I’d opted for the poorer day of the two. Still we were heading to Mottisfont so hopefully something should be about…

Once we were through Security we made straight for the Lawn at the back of the house and having sent L ahead of us to grab one we were soon lazing on a bench in the sun. While we relaxed and ate a male Orange-tip bombed past investigating anything white on its patrol. A UFW flew further away but luckily for it on the other side of the Lawn and so presumably out of sight/scent of the male OT else there may have been a ruck on the lawn. A tired looking Comma dropped in and this was enough for my to set off with my camera as my wife and L let their dinner go down. The Comma led me across the Lawn and past the row of Lavender towards the Ha-ha. As I tightrope walked along the exposed brickwork I started down into the ditch and let my gaze travel up the side of the bank of the Ha-ha. A Peacock flashed by but that was it. No matter how many times I stared at the Buttercups or Bugle I couldn’t conjure up a Brown Argus or Common Blue.
14-05-2023 1.JPG
Once I rejoined the girls we made our way up to the Walled Garden. Whilst they set up camp I took to strolling the paths. A Small White was busy selecting places to lay, but always on vegetation right in the middle of the flower beds so I couldn’t get many close-up shots. The gardens were brilliantly protected from the very slightest of breezes and the heat that had built up was radiated back inwards. This meant that the butterflies weren’t hanging around in the heat so it was no surprise that I spent most of my time muttering “Bu££er” or “Missed it”. On the first walk round I managed to only get a few distant shots of an OT but missed out on a Large White, Brimstone, Small White and a Holly Blue. The second time round looked to be going the same way with another Large White leading me on a merry dance before nipping over the wall and away before I could make it round the paths and through the gateway into the second section. The Holly Blues also didn’t play nice, I say Blues as the singleton had become a brace but they spent all of their time about 12 ft up clattering into each other. Things did pick up when a Green-veined White drifted in and started feeding. But the OT wasn’t having any of it and attacked it viciously until it ‘got the message’ and disappeared over the wall. Still I’d gotten a few shots so it wasn’t a complete bust.
14-05-2023 2.JPG
14-05-2023 3.JPG
14-05-2023 4.JPG
14-05-2023 5.JPG
14-05-2023 6.JPG
14-05-2023 7.JPG
14-05-2023 9.JPG
After the Walled Garden we left the manicured and formalized gardens behind and made our way across the meadow and water meadow to the riverside path. Despite the smorgasbord of nectar sources available I saw only three butterflies across the whole walk; a male OT, Peacock and an aged Small Tort all three of which were seen one after the other at the edge of the water meadow before the river path began. And that was it – a surprising dearth of butterflies considering the weather, time in the season and the huge amount of unspoilt habitat available. Where were they all?
The sun came at last
But where were the butterflies?
Not at Mottisfont!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Wurzel of the Green Hair Streaks :mrgreen: I've missed them this year, not sure where to find them , may be Monkton next year :D

I've still not found a Comma yet which is Unusual but I'll keep looking :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Not sure where the nearest ones will be to you - but you could check out the sites section on here which could point you in the right direction?

July 2023

The season has reached the climax and there are not many 'new species' left to emerge...
07 Jul 23.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, love the calendar :D I've found out that Green Hair Streaks can be found at Monkton NR , so that's a must for next year :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Good to hear that you've got a Greenstreak site ready for next year 8) They were my nemesis species when I first started out but we've finally made peace since :wink:

Work 16-05-2023

I’d nipped out at lunch time wondering if there were any Specklies about? The weather was reasonable and they’d been out for a while at other sites so I was hoping to catch up with them in their usual little spot in the corner of the field on the other side of the Pits. As I strode towards my objective I didn’t see anything on the way, not even an errant Bee or fly which didn’t bode well. As I broke through the line of trees which separates the Pits from the field proper something silvery took off from the break of Bramble. I stood and waited and eventually it returned and settled back down onto the leaves. It was a male Holly Blue but despite the sun it didn’t open up, just sat there with wings firmly closed.
16-05-2023 1.JPG
Leaving it holding its vigil I carried on walking along the path that runs parallel to the hedge but now scanning a little more intently. At the next Holly tree on another Holly Blue fluttered about. I again waited and it settled but unlike its peer it opened up slightly revealing the black markings over the fore wings that contrasted nicely with the sapphire blue of the ground colour. I managed a few shots before the female took to the wing again due to the pestering actions of a third Holly Blue, a second male.
16-05-2023 2.JPG
16-05-2023 3.JPG
All the waiting about eaten away at my time and so I hastily retraced my steps back to the line of trees and along the round about route through the Pits. As I drew near to the mown grass a Small White flew in from the field and settled. So I arrested my progress and tried for a few shots before heading back in for the afternoon. Things have definitely quietened down over the past few trips and this will likely be the case until the arrival in a few weeks of the various Browns.
16-05-2023 4.JPG
16-05-2023 5.JPG
Things are slowing down
We await the arrival
Of the summer Browns

After work I offered to pick the girls up from school and as I’d arrived early (it’s funny the frequency with which this happens :wink: ) I set off to have a quick check along through the Glade and the Banks. There were a few Specklies playing hard to get in the Glades so I pressed on to Specklie Intersection which had been reclaimed by a Comma. It had taken the prime spot in a little bowl in the vegetation. This would have been great if the Nettles hadn’t formed the impenetrable ring that formed the bowl. Still by standing on tips toes ad reaching over I was able to get a vague record shot. I moved on a little and watched as a Green-veined White patrolled along the mid-section of the Banks, trawling along the treeline. A passing cloud made it settle and so picking my way through the nettles along a previously trodden path (dogs do have their uses it seems) I managed to get in quite close. The ‘veins’ seemed particularly well marked on this individual with the little triangle of sooty grey appearing to fuse and run down the line of the vein.
16-05-2023 6.JPG
16-05-2023 7.JPG
16-05-2023 8.JPG
16-05-2023 9.JPG
I could feel the warmth of the returning sun on my back and within a few seconds of registering this the butterfly was off once again. I picked my way back along the same track back to the path and started to make my way back to the car. As I neared Specklie Intersection I was buzzed by the Comma and so, not wishing to appear rude, I waited for it to land and tried for a few shots. It decided to play ball, perching in a much more accessible/closer spot.
16-05-2023 10.JPG
16-05-2023 11.JPG
16-05-2023 12.JPG
I thought that that might be it and so started back along the short stretch of riverside path and then through the Glades. As I left the Glades behind I buzzed once again. This time though the butterfly was much bigger and had a piratical appearance. I stood and waited while it took a few more passes and I could make out red on the wings. When it did settle my supposition was confirmed for there, perched was a Red Admiral. I could only grab a few shots as my phone started ringing. I took one final shot and answered the call…”I’m in the Pool car park…I’ll be there in a minute”.
16-05-2023 13.JPG
Five Rivers quick stop
There is slightly more to see
Please let this bode well?!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Corfu Tuesday 4th April cont'd

…only to head out again a bit later this time with my wife and L. The Terrace looked quiet but a Painted Lady dropped in on the opposite side of the road .Up at the corner by the Cutting a Wall hung around where the Cleopatra had been previously and one of the Eastern Orange-tips was sitting atop the yellow flowers on the edge of the Cutting itself. The wind had picked up slightly now which meant getting shots was slightly trickier but occasionally when the breeze desisted the butterfly would remain frozen in the pose enforced on it by the last gust. This meant that I was able to get some reasonable open winged shots.
04-04-2023 20.JPG
04-04-2023 21.JPG
04-04-2023 22.JPG
04-04-2023 23.JPG
04-04-2023 24.JPG
04-04-2023 25.JPG
As I investigated a little further into the Cutting a huge grasshopper erupted from beneath my feet and was swiftly followed by something much smaller. It turned out to be a Mallow Skipper which unlike those I’d seen before, was actually in a reasonable state of repair with some of the bands taking on an almost lilac hue.
04-04-2023 26.JPG
04-04-2023 27.JPG
I spent a bit more time with the Eastern Orange-tip showing it off to L who was suitably dazzled by its canary yellow colour. We then made our way back down whilst the wind had picked up and was now ripping down the side of the hill/mountain. Once back we sorted out our food and I was left hoping that I’d be able to get out the following day.
04-04-2023 28.JPG
04-04-2023 29.JPG
04-04-2023 30.JPG
04-04-2023 32.JPG
04-04-2023 33.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I've always said you can never have too many Orange Tip photos, Wurzel, and when they are yellow ones that applies many times over! They have the camouflage off to a T and the one in your first shot is effectively invisible. Brilliant stuff. :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some very mrgreenworthy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: shots of the Eastern OT, completely agree with Dave.
Also your female Wall is ' different ' to ours, with finer markings and an extra forewing eyespot.

More to come?
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love those Orange tip shots Wurzel, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and that Mellow Skipper, would you believe I've been to loads of Foreign countries and not too many in Europe so I've never seen them :oops: Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I'm enjoying reading about your Corfu adventures Wurzel. We went there a few times when our kids were younger but my time was taken up by family stuff in those days.
We have not been abroad for a few years now but If one thing would tempt me to return it would be those Eastern Orange-tips...beautiful butterflies :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D They were cracking and despite taking hundreds of shots of them I always kept going back for more 8)
Cheers Trevor :D Yeah I noticed that extra little spot on the Wall, I'm sure there will be a name for it out there somewhere :wink: There are a few more days to go - but I've got to type up my notes first :wink: I'm trying for one a month :D
Cheers Goldie :D I know what you mean about the skipper Goldie - it took four trips abroad before I got one :shock: I was starting to think that they'd been in contact with my old nemesis the Green Hairstreak :wink: :lol:
Cheers Neil :D They were definitely one of the highlight species from the trip :D . I'm lucky that the girls are now of an age where they do their own thing so I can nip off for the odd hour and on the continent the slightest bit of rough ground or a lay-by seems to hold all manner of cracking species (over here it would be crisp packets and bags of dog poo :roll: :? ).

Cotley Hill 20-05-2023

It had reached that time of the year when the Warminster Hills call to me. I’d seen various reports on Face-the-Book from the most westerly of the three hills so I was hoping that their spread of emergence would have reached the last of the hills in the chain. My hopes were confirmed by Dave and so as Philzoid would be coming from further away I thought it best to arrive on site early and find out where things were. Despite the best machinations of various tractors, cyclists and people who had yet to discover 3rd gear I eventually arrived at a little after 9 and it was still cool and the dew was still sitting on the grass. I normally have a little look in the abandoned layby before heading up the hill; a bit like enjoying a fine appetizer, but on this morning it was still deeply bathed in shade and so I made my way directly up the hill. Once at the top I stepped off the main track and down into the little Hollow. Having come from the shade of the trees lining the path out into the full sun blazing down in the Hollow it took a few moments to ‘find my eyes’ again but I quickly started spotting butterflies. It started with three Dingies which would alternate between basking and battling. A Greenstreak flew out from one of the trees that are dotted along the fence line and it sat nicely for me. I’m always surprised at how quickly this species ages – but then Gorse and Hawthorn aren’t exactly the softest of plants!
20-05-2023 1.JPG
20-05-2023 2.JPG
As I backed away from the Greenstreaks and Dingies something larger hove into few. I waited and watched as it chose its perch place and then landed – it was what I’d come for, a glorious chequerboard of oranges and yellows amid a sea of green. It was my first (definite) Marshie of the year and so I set to photography, pausing every now and again to divert my gaze from through the viewfinder to what was actually in front of me so I could drink it all in. Once I’d quenched my metaphorical thirst I carried on with another Greenstreak on a different tree further on and a Grizzlie sitting on the path warming itself up.
20-05-2023 3.JPG
20-05-2023 4.JPG
20-05-2023 5.JPG
20-05-2023 6.JPG
Usually the Amphitheatre is awash with butterflies but it was all quiet, with only a Grizzlie at the base when I reached it. Perhaps it was still a little early and the butterflies would enter the arena later in the morning once they’d breakfasted and warmed up? I followed the track that ran along the fence line down to the corner and started scanning more intently as this section is generally good for Marshies and Walls. It’s also good for Small Heath and one possibly nipped by but I only got a quick glance at it out of the corner of my eye so I didn’t feel that I could tick it off the Tally at that time – it could have been a Common Heath which also common here despite it not being a Heath WINK. When I reached the Bowl cut into the side of the hill just up from the path I spotted another Dingy and Grizzlie. The path petered out here, the Nettles and Brambles strangling it down into an impenetrable mass of thorns and stings so I stop walking and just look about. A Greenstreak was sitting on a small bush in the fence line and was then viciously attacked by another two. In fact the three Greenstreaks seem to spend mots of their time annoying each other. One would sit on the small bush and then be assailed by one of the others. As the two of them flew off the third would join the fray and they would either head out over the field or up to the top of the Chestnut tree. A few moments later one would return and the whole thing would play out again. While I was enjoying this performance a male Orange-tip flew along the track I’d just walked down and flopped onto a Bramble so obviously I got a few shots of it.
20-05-2023 7.JPG
20-05-2023 8.JPG
As time was passing I thought it best to make my way back as I still needed to check out the other side of the hill before Philzoid arrived. The walk back was punctuated with little spells of butterfly activity generally with the same species. The possible Small Heath became a definite on the walk back along the bottom track, a possible Wall flashed by (it could have been a Fox Moth?) and waiting for me on the corner were three Small Heaths and a Greenstreak, down so low that I almost had to lie flat out to try for any shots of it. On the way back to the Hollow there were more Small Heath, Grizzlies, Dingies and another Marshie which didn’t play fair and kept flying up the steep side of the Down and tempting me up too. Small Heaths and Dingies were also now flying about in the Hollow as I walked back towards the place I’d started. At the far end where the paths branched a male Wall was holding territory. A second Wall flew in and the pair spiraled upwards locked in what I though was fierce competition. When they returned to the deck one landed back in a very similar place to where it had taken off and the other landed behind me. I focused on the nearest first which was a male and then once I’d gotten a few shots turned back for the other which was actually a female. Unfortunately it didn’t like having its picture taken and was offski fairly promptly.
20-05-2023 9.JPG
20-05-2023 10.JPG
20-05-2023 11.JPG
20-05-2023 12.JPG
20-05-2023 13.JPG
While backtracking into the Hollow proper whilst looking for the female Wall a Brown Argus popped up. It looked pretty fresh but was struggling with one of its wings which it was hanging at an odd angle. I didn’t mind its shonky appearance though as it was my fourth first for the year of the morning! I had a further quick look around the Hollow but most of the action was at the start near the branch of the path with two each of Greenstreaks and Grizzlies and an errant Orange-tip patrolling through.
20-05-2023 14.JPG
20-05-2023 15.JPG
20-05-2023 16.JPG
20-05-2023 17.JPG
20-05-2023 18.JPG
20-05-2023 19.JPG
After this I headed back down the track and through the wood to the other side of the hill which runs parallel to the main road. As I left the coolness of the wood a Beautiful Demoiselle, a Specklie and a Holly Blue are all waiting for me at the exit so my wandering of the hill was somewhat curtailed as I tried for all of these. Once I was wandering the tiny trackways that criss-cross the hill I was surprised at how much quieter (and more overgrown?) this side was and I only found a Brown Argus. I was just thinking “Philzoid should be here soon?” when my phone rang and so I made my way back to the Hollow to meet him pleased with a successful recce.
20-05-2023 20.JPG
20-05-2023 21.JPG
Fingertips of sun
Stretch their way across the hill
Rousing a Marshie

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cotley Hill Part 2

When I met Philzoid he was already in the hollow and so and so I took a second turn around the little Hollow at the top of the path. Straight away we got onto a Wall, still flying up and down the start of the track in what was obviously it’s territory. In the small trees that lined the boundary hedge a couple of Greenstreaks flitted about and hung form the ends of assorted twigs in between sparring sessions. Along the thin trackway there was a Grizzlies, Dingy and a Brown Argus all within less than a stones’ throw from each other. Unfortunately they were just that little bit too far apart from each other so we couldn’t get a ‘three-fer’. While we were enjoying these an Orange-tip and a Green-veined Whites passed through as well.
20-05-2023 22.JPG
What with this slightly disjointed start we repaired back down the track to examine the abandoned and overgrown lay-by so as to start the visit ‘properly’. By this time the sun and managed to reach over the tops of the trees and shrubs and so disperse the cooling shade and so now the little stretch of moss and weed covered tarmac was a flurry of butterfly activity. A couple of male OTs patrolled ceaselessly there were at least three Green-veined Whites fluttering about and stopping for numerous but very brief nectar stops and a Large White powered through, looking brilliant white compared to the limewash look of a female Brimstone. With the visit now corrected to the natural sequencing we plodded back up the track and once more into the Hollow. During the short interim things had also picked up here and the Brown Argus had either sorted out its dodgy wing or it was a different individual, both Grizzlies and Dingies had doubled in the first part of the track and at the far end of the Hollow another Grizzlie was fiercely interacting with another Brown Argus whilst a Small Heath dithered about.
20-05-2023 23.JPG
20-05-2023 24.JPG
20-05-2023 25.JPG
Next stop on out Tour of the Hill is usually the Amphitheatre and so we climbed out of the Hollow and worked our way round via the higher path. Our route took us past the large swathe of Bramble that blocks of one end of the Hollow and we were able to look down into the mass of prickles. Sitting out in the open somewhere near the middle and sticking out like a sore thumb was a Marshie. Getting shots of it would have meant taking your life into your own hands but I was wearing my old and already ripped jeans and I could swear that there were a few breaks in the briar which I’d be able to snake my legs down. Luckily it all work out okay but if I’d have fallen I’d probably still be there now! Somewhat annoyingly when we reached the Amphitheatre all of my efforts turned out to have been a waste of time as the Amphitheatre had woken up. An Orange-tip patrolled along the bottom fence, Small Heath seemingly erupted from each footstep, the odd Dingy and Grizzlie showed up as did several Brown Argus and most importantly 3 Marshies. They were in a cracking state of repair, looking fantastically fresh but as they were so full of vim and vigour they weren’t the easiest butterfly to approach. Still we started filling up the memory card.
20-05-2023 26.JPG
20-05-2023 27.JPG
20-05-2023 28.JPG
20-05-2023 29.JPG
20-05-2023 30.JPG
After this we followed the ‘bottom’ track as it worked down the hill and round the corner, hugging the boundary fence all the way. Again the, now usual suspects, flew and so we had to plenty of fodder for out lenses. What with numerous Brown Argus, Small Heath and the odd Grizzlie. After the bend in the track a Wall flew towards us and stopped occasionally but generally just long enough to try and focus on it before it would take to the air once more. Eventually it decided to have a slightly longer break and so we were able to get in a bit closer whilst is hung onto a tiny overhang of chalk at the foot of the down. Slightly further on we followed a Marshie which put up a second. This one was much large and also much lighter – with more creams in the palette on the wings. It looked like a fresh female and one not long emerged as the wings still looked a little rounded like they weren’t fully inflated. By the time we’d reached the little bowl about half way along the bottom track we’d added another Marshie to the tally and had another sighting of another/the Wall as well as something tiny and blue? I wondered if at first it was just a small Brown Argus but something about the colour in flight didn’t feel right and I was left wondering if it was actually a Small Blue? The three Greenstreaks were still battling it out with other in the trees and shrubs at the impenetrable part of the track but this time there was a Brimstone rather than an OT.
20-05-2023 32.JPG
20-05-2023 33.JPG
20-05-2023 34.JPG
20-05-2023 35.JPG
20-05-2023 36.JPG
20-05-2023 37.JPG
20-05-2023 38.JPG
20-05-2023 39.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cotley Part 3

Chuffed with how well the Hill was doing we climbed up the side of the Hill through the Bowl and worked round following the little tracks that cling to the side of the hill. As we tottered along trying not to trip and sneaker briars or become impaled on the Hawthorns that grew right up to the tiny trackways we also stopped occasionally. First our attention was held by a pair of Brown Argus that we enjoying a bit of ‘how’s your father’. Then there was a Small White which meant we’d had almost the full compliment of Whites as well as a lovely little Grizzlie and a slightly narky Brown Argus (possibly a case of the green-eyed monster?). We’d worked or way round and back down the side of the Hill to a little field or clearing (I don’t know how best to describe it really) in between masses of Bramble that covered the base of the hill. The tussocky grass and possibly the fact that there was a bit of space without chunks of Bramble or clumps of spiky Hawthorn meant that the butterflies seemed strangely attracted to this little spot. It was a little like the rest of the Hill in microcosm as there was a Small Heath, a Dingy and a Grizzlie all tearing chunks out of each other. They’d been corralled together in one end of the little ‘field’ by a brace of Brown Argus that were keeping two territories across the rest of the area. Every time one of the other species passed an invisible boundary one or other of the Bas would appear and see it off. I saw one of them have a go at a passing OT whilst the other was busy dealing with a Marshie that had dropped in from higher up the hill. To finish off the sojourn here the vegetation growing along the fence line at the edge of the bramble mass held a Holly Blue and also a Broad-bodied Chaser.
20-05-2023 40.JPG
20-05-2023 41.JPG
20-05-2023 42.JPG
20-05-2023 43.JPG
20-05-2023 44.JPG
20-05-2023 45.JPG
The walk back retracing our steps saw us observing a similar list of species as the outward journey, including a Wall and also a lot more activity still over at the Amphitheatre. As we dove back down into the Hollow I spotted a pair of Dingies in cop and amid the Grizzlies, Dingies and Brown Argus there were now two Marshies frequenting the flowers.
20-05-2023 46.JPG
20-05-2023 47.JPG
Love the golden metallic marks on the hind wing margins
Love the golden metallic marks on the hind wing margins
20-05-2023 49.JPG
20-05-2023 50.JPG
20-05-2023 51.JPG
20-05-2023 52.JPG
20-05-2023 53.JPG
20-05-2023 54.JPG
20-05-2023 55.JPG
The final section of the trip was a last look in at the abandoned lay-by. The sun now reached right along the tangled mass of asphalt and assorted nectar sources. The biggest surprise was a Brown Argus looking a little lost on a Bramble rather than cling to one or other grass stems as the breeze played across the Down. A Peacock dropped in briefly, just long enough in fact for us to both register what it was and add it to the Tally. The Whites had switched about a bit, as there was only a single Green-veined but 3 male OTs and another Small White. All were behaving much better now, some of the OTs even sat for a few photos so we clicked away merrily for a time. Soon though we felt the need to press on and so it was off, cross country, to Martin Down. The visit to the Hill had been a success but there was something nagging at me…then I realized what it was. Amongst an impressive cast of butterflies where were the Blues?
20-05-2023 56.JPG
20-05-2023 57.JPG
20-05-2023 58.JPG
20-05-2023 59.JPG
20-05-2023 60.JPG
The Hill is alive
With Marshies and with Wall Browns
Still no Blues yet though?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

An excellent account of your adventures on the Hill, Wurzel. :) I particularly like the Marshies with the paler markings.

It was good to visit it this year, though like you I didn't see a single blue butterfly (not even the Holly you spotted). It's definitely a fixture again on the calendar for future years.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Things seemed a bit all over the place this year; some were late, some were early and some were bang on time - but it certainly made for interesting butterflying 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”