The oedippus odyssey: a single-species quest in West France

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
petesmith

The oedippus odyssey: a single-species quest in West France

Post by petesmith »

Adding new species to my European Butterflies “life-list” gets harder all the time. In terms of the butterflies of Western Europe I plucked most of the low hanging fruit some years ago and am now having to cherry-pick small groups of butterflies that occur in particular regions, or occasionally undertake single-species trips. Such was the case during my recent trip to the Landes de Gascogne, a four-night stop-over south-west of Bordeaux. Here, my target species was the highly localised and endangered False Ringlet, Coenonympha oedippus, a butterfly that I have dreamed of seeing for quite some time.

Getting a new lifer is about much more than just ticking a box. This is something more than stamp-collecting or train spotting; it is all about getting to know a new species, its behaviour and flight (“jizz”), its habitat, and if I may anthropomorphise a little, for me it is also about appreciating its personality and lifestyle.

I flew out of Stansted early on Tuesday 6th June, arriving at Bordeaux just before lunchtime. The car pick up was a dream. This is the first time that I have used the “Key&Go” service, the hire car equivalent of click and collect, and it was very rapid compared to the usual drawn-out process. I was on the road in less than 5 minutes and heading west to a site near the coast where I had been informed that oedippus occurred in reasonable numbers. On arrival, the sun was shining, and it was a balmy 28 degrees Celsius. Ideal butterflying weather. An hour and a half later after extensive searching I had seen no sign of my target species. This was a little worrying. Meadow Browns were about in small numbers, Brimstones, Small Coppers and Small Heaths were in great abundance, and there was an occasional Clouded Yellow and Holly Blue, along with Large and Small Skippers. At 2pm my searches were brought to an abrupt halt as the skies darkened rapidly and the mother of all thunderstorms let rip. This storm persisted for over 3 hours and forced me back to my hotel, via several tedious diversions due to road closures and flash flooding. My Sat Nav wasn’t happy. Me and Mrs Nav have a somewhat tetchy relationship at the best of times, but as she kept trying to redirect me back to the same damn road closures time after time, I confess I eventually lost my temper a little and may have shouted a few expletives in her general direction, preceded by yells of “ROUTE BARRÉE!!!”, “ROUTE BARRÉE!!!” you ****** ******** *****!!!! I eventually resorted to using a map. Ahh the nostalgia…

The lack of False Ringlets preoccupied my thoughts that evening as I relaxed after my journey with a bottle of red wine and a chicken salad. Was I too early? After all, the season seemed to be running late elsewhere in Europe, except of course for in SW Spain.
On day two I woke up to glorious sunshine and a very favourable weather forecast. As well as the “known” site near the coast that I had been given, I also had 20 or so other areas to search which I had identified from Google Earth searches as being potentially suitable for my quarry. I visited five sites between 8am and 2pm; all looked very promising for oedippus but again, I could find no sign of the butterfly, just lots more Brimstones, Small Coppers, Small Heaths etc. The only logical conclusion seemed to be that oedippus was not yet on the wing, and I only had two more days to find it. At this point catastrophic thinking was setting in big time, as any Cognitive Behavioural Therapist would have recognised. I became convinced that I had mis-timed my visit, that I was going to dip out, that failure was inevitable. I was in the right place at the wrong time. The mission was half-way through, and the outlook was gloomy! On the drive to the latest of my Google-Earth inspired potential sites I had driven past a wide wayleave that looked particularly good, and it had been tugging at my mind, drawing me back like a magnet. My gut feeling was urging me to visit this place now, so I returned here, parked up alongside the main road and walked for several hundred metres below some power lines. Still the same mix of butterflies.
wayleave habitat 2.JPG
wayleave

Then, at exactly 2:30pm my life changed. A butterfly took to the wing to my left, flying up from scrub by the edge of the pine trees. It was too small to be a Meadow Brown, too large to be a Small Heath, and looked nothing like either in flight. My adrenal glands gave a quick squeeze, my heart rate ramped up several notches, and I was after it – I knew immediately that this was a butterfly I had not seen before, and it could only be one thing! It wasn’t hard to follow, and I soon had a photograph of my first ever male False Ringlet! What a magical moment! Over the next two hours I encountered half a dozen more males, all in mint condition. It appears that they were indeed just emerging.
False Ringlet male 8.JPG
C.oedippus

With success in the bag, I then spent the next two days meandering around a number of other sites in this region, dodging the occasional showers and storms, and finding more False Ringlets at several locations. The Parc Naturel Régional des Landes de Gascogne is a vast area of damp Pine forest, not particularly good habitat for butterflies in general, and certainly an area that is much less species-rich than many other parts of France. However, it is the French stronghold for False Ringlet, and also a major stronghold of this species from a wider European perspective. Although the Pine plantations themselves are of limited value to Lepidoptera, an extensive network of wide, linear corridors runs through them, for two reasons. Firstly, there are regular firebreaks to mitigate the effect of seasonal forest fires such as those that caused such devastation out here last summer. And secondly, there are many wayleaves beneath power lines. Both types of corridors are of necessity managed to keep the vegetation down, and many of them are comprised of damp Molinia grassland with scattered scrub, heather and bracken – ideal breeding territory for oedippus. The butterfly no doubt moves about from year to year as certain areas become too overgrown, or are initially unsuitable following recent management, but these corridors provide ample dispersal opportunities, and the management appears to be regular but rotational.
wayleave habitat 3.JPG
habitat 2.JPG
firebreak habitat.JPG
firebreak habitat 2.JPG
habitat of C.oedippus

I had the chance over two days to really get to know the males. They are a very calm butterfly, relaxed and easy going. They fly at a gentle pace and are not hard to follow, and although they spend a lot of their time on the wing on patrol they also land regularly, albeit often just for three or four seconds, not long to get into position for a photograph. Sometimes they will land down in amongst the grasses, and it can be hard to get a clear line of sight with the camera, but they also often alight a little higher up on scrub, where they can be photographed more easily. They are even quite respectful when they encounter another male: there is none of the macho aggression and violence that you get with, for example, the Small Coppers, who were scrapping all over the place! When two male oedippus meet they just circle around each other, have a brief word, then move on, no issues. Upperside views of this butterfly seem to be rather infrequent but on three occasions I found different males that were landing and then flicking their wings open briefly two or three times before closing up again.
False Ringlet ups.JPG
False Ringlet ups 2.JPG
C.oedippus

Looking at pictures of museum specimens in books such as Leraut, you could be forgiven for thinking this to be a rather drab “little brown job” with eye spots. In reality it is anything but dull – the fresh males are gorgeous. They are also quite variable in markings, in terms of whether they show any white lining on the inside of the underside hindwing ocelli, and in how many, if any, ocelli are present on the underside forewing.
False Ringlet underside.JPG
False Ringlet male.JPG
False Ringlet male 7.JPG
False Ringlet male 5.JPG
False Ringlet male 4.JPG
False Ringlet male 3.JPG
False Ringlet male 2.JPG
False Finglet male 6.JPG
C.oedippus males

The females I cannot speak for in terms of behaviour and variability, as I only saw two during my time here, but I can emphatically say that, based on those two, the females are stunningly gorgeous. By the last of my four-day sojourn here males were emerging in good numbers at my best site, with several dozen on the wing, but females were still elusive, perhaps because the season was indeed running late, or possibly because their behaviour patterns make them less observable.
False Ringlet female 2.JPG
False Ringlet female 3.JPG
C.oedippus female

I made this trip for one reason, to find and photograph one species of butterfly. I am incredibly happy that my trip was a success, despite initial concerns, and I can honestly say that I feel I got to know this creature quite well in a short space of time. It is unlikely that I shall return to this part of France, and these may well be the only photographs that I ever take of False Ringlets. If that is the case, I am happy with what I have seen. This was a very special lifer!
With thanks to David S for help and advice.
Next stop, North Greece!
Roger Gibbons

Re: The oedippus odyssey: a single-species quest in West France

Post by Roger Gibbons »

What a terrific result, Pete! Great reward for the research and planning. Strange how the best results sometimes only arise only after making you think it really isn’t going to happen.

I first saw oedippus in that region circa 1998 when I was very much a novice. I just labelled it as hyperantus, tucked the photo away, until I revisited the images some five years later….

Roger
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

What a fantastic trip and trip report. The photos are amazing Pete! Thanks so much for sharing.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I love it - brilliant story! Oedippus is on my own wish list for 2023 so it is good to know it is already on the wing. A friend is helping me with a site in France as it is probably extinct now in Switzerland (it still flies at two sites just over the border into Liechtenstein), and I'm looking to go in the next couple of weeks.

I completely agree about getting to know the butterflies personally, so to speak. Species that seem so similar in the books, as if it were all about looking for that extra spot or the angle of a line, suddenly come alive as distinct creatures, with their own habits and predilections, when you meet them in the flesh. It is tragic that oedippus is under such pressure, but happy that where it does fly, it is now protected.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:40 pm What a terrific result, Pete! Strange how the best results sometimes only arise only after making you think it really isn’t going to happen.

Roger
Thanks Roger. Yes - it's as if the Butterfly Gods like to see you sweat a bit before they allow you to sample the pleasure of sweet success!
selbypaul wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:12 pm What a fantastic trip and trip report. The photos are amazing Pete! Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks Paul - as always, a pleasure to share the fruits of European Butterflying trips. It's an amazing butterfly!
Padfield wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:00 pm I love it - brilliant story! Oedippus is on my own wish list for 2023 so it is good to know it is already on the wing.

Guy
Thanks Guy - best of luck with your searches in the East of France. I suspect they will be flying slightly later that side of the country, but I am sure John has his finger on the pulse regarding local timings!
David M

Post by David M »

First class report and super images, Pete.

Those females in particular are gorgeous (although the male with the slightly lanceolated ocelli is impressive too).

You rightly had the jitters to begin with (so would I have) but you persevered as you always do and ultimately got your reward.

So pleased for you. :)
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

One further observation on your oedippus images, Pete, possibly the most surprising, is that you got open wing shots which, as far as I can see, are as rare as hen's teeth.

Roger
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:57 am One further observation on your oedippus images, Pete, possibly the most surprising, is that you got open wing shots which, as far as I can see, are as rare as hen's teeth.

Roger
Yes. There is an open winged image on pyrgus.de and Matt Rowlings has a half open image on his site, but other than those I can't find more. The males were opening their wings very infrequently and only once or twice, briefly after landing. This behaviour seemed to precede a more permanent or prolonged period of inactivity, and I only observed it a few times. The vast majority of males didn't open up at all!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Another cracking report with excellent photos. Well done Pete
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Stevieb wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:54 pm Another cracking report with excellent photos. Well done Pete
Thanks Stevie!

Return to “Overseas”