millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

My next two days were largely butterfly-free, despite good weather - one can't really abandon an old friend and go out on butterfly hunts when their interests don't lean that way! :) However, my next stop was with a friend who felt entirely differently, and she was very enthusiastic about my suggestion of a walk along the Devon coast to the east of Sidmouth. It turned out she knew the area well too.

We started at Branscombe and headed along the beach to start with before angling up to a sheltered area between what must be an ancient landslip and the mainland proper. This verdant defile is actually part of the Coast Path, so the going is relatively easy (a bit steep in parts). It was a perfect day, and the views were gorgeous.
view to Sidmouth and beyond.JPG
view 220523.JPG
As we climbed up through the greenery in the foreground, we were often accompanied by little groups of Holly Blues: there must have been dozens flying along this path.
HB1 220523.JPG
Most were females, and with a lot of dogwood around, it wasn't difficult to find an egg or two.
HB egg1 220523.JPG
However, as we came to the point roughly from where the second view was taken, my hoped-for target started to appear - Wood Whites. I have seen this species many times in the woodland at Chiddingfold, but have for a while wondered whether the populations I'd heard flew along the Devon coast still existed. The answer was a pretty definite yes. :) Overall, we saw well over a dozen.

Whether it is a feature of the more open habitat or not, I found the Devon coastal Wood Whites were rather more energetic than their Surrey woodland relatives, flying higher and faster (though a bit more willing to stop in bright sunshine perhaps).
WW3 220523.JPG
WW4 220523.JPG
WW5 220523.JPG
WW6 220523.JPG
WW7 220523.JPG
My companion was fascinated by the sight of a rare butterfly, and particularly entertained by an example of the "courtship" behaviour peculiar to Wood Whites which they kindly laid on for us. :)
WW2 220523.JPG
We continued to Beer for refreshment (though not of the eponymous sort!), and then returned back along the same route. A pause on the cliffs above Beer gave us a quick sighting of a female Common Blue...
CB1 229523.JPG
...and I caught sight of two orange butterflies dancing out of reach over the drop to the sea. Too small for Walls, I suspect they were Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. However, those Wood Whites really made my day - almost like seeing a whole new species for the first time!
WW1 220523.JPG
One curious point - reviewing the day later on with a map to hand, I realised that I had originally meant to head west from Branscombe, not east... :) Oh well!

Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done, Dave. I’ve heard of Wood Whites from the coast on the Dorset-Devon borders, but have not seen them there.

Good to know the colony survives!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Mark - it was really exciting to see them. Definitely a highlight of the year so far.

On Tuesday 23rd May, the weather decided to be cloudy, though it remained warm and bright. There was another local feature I wanted to visit - the pebblebed heathland north of Budleigh Salterton which is either unique in the UK or nearly so. It was early for Silver-studded Blues, but the area is supposed to have Small Pearls too; however, we were not lucky with them either. Maybe we were too early, were looking in the wrong spots, or they no longer fly here.

Nevertheless, we had an excellent wander around this unusual habitat - lots of gorse and heather like the Surrey heathland with which I am familiar, but it really was pebbly underfoot rather than sandy and there were many marshy areas. There were very few butterfly highlights, but on Bicton Common I did find a Brimstone egg...
Brimstone egg1 230523.JPG
...and my friend spotted a single Green Hairstreak on a gorse bush.
GH1 230523.JPG
We did have a go at identifying some of the birds around, having success with a Stonechat...(which didn't stay near enough to be photographed)...and then a Whitethroat (which did, singing its little heart out on a prominent perch).
whitethroat.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

I had to return home on 24th May unfortunately, but there was no reason to go the most direct way. The sun had returned, so I aimed for Lulworth Cove to see what might be flying down there at this time of year. I was there in under two hours from Topsham (which wasn't too bad at all) parked outside the village and walked down to the sea. This being in the lull before a Bank Holiday weekend, there weren't many folk around, though there was a steady stream of unfit-looking people plodding up the hill in the direction of Durdle Door. :)

I had intended to try Bindon Hill, but the area was shut for artillery practice (plenty of loud noises rather confirmed this), so instead I had a quick look at the area around Stair Hole. I was almost immediately rewarded with the sight of a fresh male Lulworth Skipper tucked down out of the wind. With no confusion species yet on the wing, it was (for once) a straightforward ID. :) I thought perhaps that I might find one or two more in the area, but in the end this was the only one seen.
LWS1 240523.JPG
LWS3 240523.JPG
I then headed up the hill, but branched off to the left away from the main path and found myself surrounded by butterflies, most of which were very active in the combination of strong sunshine and a fresh breeze. I noted Green Hairstreak, Brown Argus, Common Blue, Adonis Blue, Small Heath, Dingy Skipper, Wall, Red Admiral and Brimstone, with the Adonis probably having the highest numbers. First, some Dingies.
DS1 240523.JPG
DS3 240523.JPG
This Common Blue was so deeply coloured that it closely resembled the Adonis around (they wouldn't open their wings at rest though).
CB1 240523.JPG
Male Adonis doing just that.
AB2 240523.JPG
However, one female Adonis obliged, and she was a stunning butterfly.
AB3 240523.JPG
AB4 240523.JPG
AB5 240523.JPG
AB6 240523.JPG
I eventually climbed up to the top of the hill and looked in the direction of Durdle Door, but even on this quiet day, there were a lot of people over that way, so I decided to head back the way I'd come and seek out a coffee. Reaching the bottom, I found a large ornamental shrub that appeared related to holly - a certain female butterfly clearly thought so too...
HB1 240523.JPG
HB3 240523.JPG
Finally, a couple of views from the day. The first was taken near where the Lulworth Skipper appeared...
view to Portland 240523.JPG
...and the second from the slope full of butterflies.
view to Lulworth 240523.JPG
There was still some way to go, and a whole afternoon to play with. Where else might be a suitably located spot not too far off the route? :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking to read about the Devonian Wood Whites Dave - it must have been bizarre to see them flying in that unusual habitat 8) Also great to see that you managed to check in on the Lulworths - my favourite butterfly of course :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

It was well worth seeking out those Wood Whites, Wurzel, on a cracking day in excellent company too. The Lulworth on the way home was a bit of a bonus too, and then there was the last site on the trip - one you may be familiar with... :wink: :)

Looking at the possible routes home from deepest Dorset on 24th, it wasn't really out of the way to choose the one that passed Martin Down. In fact the drive to there from the coast was a breeze, with hardly a car on the roads, and allowed plenty of time to have a good look at this terrific site. It was a bit breezy, perhaps, but this very open site often is; never mind, there was lots to see.

First of all, I quickly came upon a little group of Marsh Fritillaries just at the northern end of the ditch, not very far from the car park. Some were fresh, some not so much.
MF6 240523.JPG
MF7 240523.JPG
MF5 240523.JPG
MF2 240523.JPG
MF1 240523.JPG
MF3 240523.JPG
I soon started seeing Small Blues, my first of the year, but it was a while before I had any worthwhile photos.
SB7 240523.JPG
SB1 240523.JPG
In the end the mating pair rather clinched it...
SB3 240523.JPG
...but this one in a classic Small Blue pose on a grass blade was my favourite.
SB5 240523.JPG
I saw my second selection of Adonis of the day, and this time a male posed rather well for me.
AB2 240523.JPG
AB7 240523.JPG
AB4 240523.JPG
There were good numbers of both Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, the latter in particular catching my eye as being more numerous than at any of the other sites I'd been to this year.
GS3 240523.JPG
GS2 240523.JPG
GS1 240523.JPG
Common Blues, Brimstones and Small Heaths were also around in reasonable numbers, as were Brown Argus.
BA1 240523.JPG
I only found the one Green Hairstreak (though it was well streaked)...
GH1 240523.JPG
...and only a couple of Small Coppers.
SC2 240523.JPG
SC1 240523.JPG
The rest of the journey proved equally smooth but I had run out of energy for any more detours! :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

A :mrgreen: for your ' blue ' female Adonis Blue Dave.
All your various diversions were very worthwhile judging by the results!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That was a cracking haul from Martin Down. That first bit of the Dyke is one of the best spots on the whole reserve for Marshies :D The Grizzlies and DIngies did have a good season there as well :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Trevor - fresh Adonis females can be absolutely stunning, :) And yes, taking the long way home (when you have the time) is almost always worthwhile.

Cheers, Wurzel - Martin Down is always worth dropping into. It's just that I'm not often just passing that way... :)

Home again, and there is always that excitement of venturing out locally after a gap of a few days to see what has changed and what surprises may await (or is that just me? :) ).

On a sunny and pleasantly warm 25th May, I counted 99 butterflies from 12 species. One of these was a first for the year here - the Common Blue. My tally for the walk:

Holly Blue 34
HB7 250523.JPG
HB3 250523.JPG
HB2 250523.JPG
Brown Argus 15
BA3 250523.JPG
BA7 250523.JPG
BA8 250523.JPG
BA10 250523.JPG
Small Heath 11
SH1 250523.JPG
GVW 7
GVW2 250523.JPG
GVW3 250523.JPG
Red Admiral 6
RA4 250523.JPG
Common Blue 5
CB2 250523.JPG
CB4 250523.JPG
Small Copper 5
SC11 250523.JPG
SC6 250523.JPG
Orange Tip 5
OT7 250523.JPG
OT3 250523.JPG
Peacock 3
PK 250523.JPG
Large White 3
LW1 250523.JPG
Speckled Wood 3
Small White 2

Quite a welcome back, really!

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Definitely a cracking welcome back Dave :D Thirty four Holly Blues :shock: You must have been hoarse that day even though you were just whispering :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:30 pm....On a sunny and pleasantly warm 25th May, I counted 99 butterflies from 12 species...
That's an excellent tally, Dave, particularly the Holly Blues. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some cracking reports with a good selection of butterflies recently Dave.

Lots of great photos too but I do like that second GVW image.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel and David - that is the highest Holly Blue day total this year so far. I'd say they are having a good season, but in fact this is about par for the course here. I'm still seeing about 10 a day now, but there should be a bit of a lull soon before the second brood kicks in in July. :)

Thank you Neil - that GVW did strike a good pose there (though a smidgen of luck was involved as it turned precisely broadside on as I pressed the shutter! :) ).

There could be no lengthy hanging around locally now, as the annual journey down to Hutchinson's Bank for Glanville Fritillary beckoned. The site is always worth a visit anyway for its varied resident populations of butterflies and is carefully looked after to facilitate this. My trip on 26th May came before the excitement broke over the discovery of Black-veined Whites here, and after the Dukes on Chapel Bank had largely disappeared, so it was pretty quiet from a visitor perspective.

As I arrived in the Cutting, I was immediately met by a fresh Glanville Fritillary with no one else apparently taking any interest.
GF2 260523.JPG
Further on though was a little knot of folk clustered around something clearly more notable - I pondered what this might be as I approached... It turned out to be a rather lonely-looking Marsh Fritillary sitting forlornly on the ground - rather than gliding around in the sun like all the others I'd seen recently.
MF1 260523.JPG
I moved on and headed down to the bottom path. I soon found a few Holly Blues, including one apparent male looking for minerals near the ground.
HB1 260523.JPG
I was surprised to find that it was actually a female...
HB2 260523.JPG
However, I'm pretty sure this one was a male.
HB3 260523.JPG
Not much further on, another Glanville put in an appearance: I almost always find one along this path somewhere.
GF3 260523.JPG
GF4 260523.JPG
I wandered along the bottom path eastwards to the scrapes where Small Blues tend to congregate. I'd been seeing a few here and there already, but there were definitely more in the scrapes where kidney vetch thrives - though not in the large numbers I've seen in other years. There were some fresh ones of both sexes.
male
male
male
male
male
male
female
female
female
female
female
female
I watched a female lay an egg...
SB7 260523.JPG
SB egg1 260523.JPG
She then posed, wings open, showing hints of the iridescent sheen female Blues sometimes display when new.
SB10 260523.JPG
I returned to the Cutting, completing a circuit. On the way, amongst other things, I encountered this selection.
CB1 260523.JPG
DS1 260523.JPG
CB2 260523.JPG
GS1 260523.JPG
CB3 260523.JPG
Not stopping for photos were Brimstone, Orange Tip, Green Hairstreak, Small Heath, Brown Argus, Red Admiral and Peacock. However, back in the cutting was another Marsh Fritillary - an even sorrier sight than the first one.
MF2 260523.JPG
Little did I know that in about ten days time I'd be back hoping to see something new and entirely different... :)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

27th May was a warm and very sunny day, and I thought I start down at Staines Moor for a change. The high rainfall earlier in the year followed by warm sunshine had caused the grass to grow alarmingly, and I had heard that whatever arrangement there had been in previous years to graze cattle here was no longer in operation - so there was nothing to keep the growth in check.

The first brood of Small Coppers here was nearly over, with just a couple seen.
SC1 270523.JPG
Small Heath are appearing instead, but at very low density.
SH1 270523.JPG
I looked for Brown Argus and Common Blue, but drew a blank - the two blue butterflies seen were under the trees, and were both Hollies. Also enjoying the swathes of buttercups was a Red Admiral - I'm not sure I've seen one on this flower before.
RA1 270523.JPG
I managed to approach a male GVW that had seen better days...
GVW1 270523.JPG
...but the star of this part of the morning was a very fresh Speckled Wood. Whether it was a trick of the morning sunlight I don't know, but it seemed really richly coloured - a splendid butterfly.
SpW1 270523.JPG
Staines Moor is hardly frequented by human footfall - you see a few bird-people and a very occasional dog-walker, but to the good folk of Staines it must be largely unknown. However, there are one or two reminders as to its situation...
context view.JPG
(In reality, lining up a shot like this took quite a while and the noise of the M25 and of aircraft to/from Heathrow is hardly noticeable.)

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

After that brief interlude at Staines Moor, I continued onto my local patch for the remainder of the morning. One of the first butterflies was another new Speckled Wood, but this one kept its wings shut.
SpW1 270523.JPG
An Orange Tip followed: somewhat world-weary, but I was conscious that I might not see many more this year.
OT1 270523.JPG
Small Heaths were one of the most frequently seen butterflies today...
SH1 270523.JPG
...and there were a variety of Brown Argus.
BA3 270523.JPG
BA2 270523.JPG
The last of these looked distinctly odd.
BA1 270523.JPG
Female Brimstones were still appearing occasionally - such a durable butterfly!
BR1 270523.JPG
Finally, as always, were the Holly Blues. I counted 26 today, mostly females and these were mostly occupied in egg-laying on the abundant goats' rue.
HB2 270523.JPG
HB3 270523.JPG
However, as I've observed before, they start to wander off onto all kinds of plants to lay at this time of year as the drive to engender the next brood takes over. This one was laying on some variety of grass.
HB1 270523.JPG
I had to check: here is the egg she laid.
HB egg 270523.JPG
An absolutely fascinating species.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Staines Moor looks like a cracking site Dave :D Brilliant behavioural observation of the Holly Blue, I suppose it must be hard work carrying all those eggs and the biological imperative must be a force to be reckoned with :shock:
"An Orange Tip followed: somewhat world-weary, but I was conscious that I might not see many more this year." the fact that they're around for a while and then suddenly - puff - they're gone makes them all the more likible :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wurzel wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:44 pm Staines Moor looks like a cracking site...
Staines Moor is a very unspoilt place, Wurzel, and though the butterfly numbers and variety don't match my local patch to the north of Stanwell Moor village, it is great to visit for a change of habitat and species emphasis. Also (as Philzoid will tell you) it is good for birds, and also dragon and damselflies.

28th May was very similar to the day before, but on my local walk I notched up 14 species. However, aside from Holly Blues, none provided many individuals:

Holly Blue 21
Small Heath 8
Brown Argus 4
Speckled Wood 4
Orange Tip 3
Peacock 2
Red Admiral 2
Small White 2
GVW 2
Brimstone 2
Common Blue 2
Small Copper 1
Comma 1
Large White 1

These were, almost as predicted, the last Orange Tips I saw here this year. My last shot was of a rather aged female nectaring with her head deep in a vetch flower.
OT2 280523.JPG
Also somewhat world-weary was this Comma, though it still attempted to see off any insect that came too close from his typical pose atop one of last year's teazels.
Comma1 280523.JPG
The only Small Copper of the day had also seen better days...
SC1 280523.JPG
...though the oldest of them all was probably this Peacock, which looked pretty good by contrast.
PK1 280523.JPG
Newer arrivals included a few Common Blues - which rapidly damage themselves...
CB1 280523.JPG
...and Brown Argus, which perhaps by dint of their smaller size seem to fare better.
BA1 280523.JPG
The best of the new butterflies were probably a Speckled Wood...
SpW2 280523.JPG
...and the Small Heaths.
SH2 280523.JPG
Last of all, there were the Holly Blues - another selection of females sprinkling the goats' rue with probably thousands of eggs, and posing decently between bouts.
HB4 280523.JPG
HB5 280523.JPG
HB1 280523.JPG
HB2 280523.JPG
HB3 280523.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Also on 28th May, I had popped up to Aston Rowant early on.

A couple of the two spring skipper species were still struggling on.
GS1 280523.JPG
DS1 280523.JPG
However, the Adonis Blues provided the best show, with reasonable numbers to be found across the site.
AB3 280523.JPG
AB4 280523.JPG
One female was particularly eye-catching, rather like the one I'd seen at Lulworth.
AB2 280523.JPG
AB1 280523.JPG
Common Blues played second fiddle somewhat ...
CB1 280523.JPG
...but there were a fair sprinkling of Brown Argus everywhere on the hillside, easy to overlook.
BA1 280523.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Adonis Blue is a right stunner Dave - no wonder your eyes were drawn to her 8) :D :mrgreen: A far cry from the initial Grizzlie :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Fresh Adonis females are some of the best of the lot, Wurzel - almost black with shining blue sparkles and the contrasting red lunules. Stunning. :)

29th May was a cooler day, but just as sunny. Curiously I saw more butterflies locally overall, but only nine species instead of 14.

There were more Small Coppers...
SC1 290523.JPG
SC2 290523.JPG
SC3 290523.JPG
SC4 290523.JPG
...and Brown Argus...
BA1 290523.JPG
BA2 290523.JPG
...and surprisingly as their season declines, several Brimstones, including one solely intent on nectaring.
BR3 290523.JPG
BR4 290523.JPG
There was what turned out to be my last sighting of an overwintered Peacock.
PK1 290523.JPG
However, most numerous again were the Holly Blues - almost all females. Some were looking a little tired, and were now just seeking nectar...
HB5 290523.JPG
HB7 290523.JPG
HB8 290623.JPG
...but others were still hard at work laying down the next generation.
HB10 290523.JPG
HB11 290523.JPG
HB16 290523.JPG
Come what may, Holly Blues always seem to provide good value. :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”