Black Veined Whites?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Steve J S

Black Veined Whites?

Post by Steve J S »

Hi, my daughter, wife and I spotted these in Northumberland, am I correct that they are Black Veined Whites? If they are how rare is this so far north, if not what are they?
Attachments
D37D2242-D325-4A19-885D-B176629E813C.jpeg
A5D8AF6E-3A31-4C88-A2A6-658BC5C339C3.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Black Veined Whites?

Post by Wurzel »

At first I wondered if it was a strongly marked Green-veined but it looks like a Black-veined White to me. They are 'extinct' in the UK but a couple have been spotted recently; one in Kent and another in Surrey. The problem of unauthorised releases makes determining if these are wild vagrants trickier but either way still a lovely butterfly to see, and one I keep missing out on :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm going to stick my neck out (and disagree with Wurzel!) and say that they are male Green-veined Whites, Steve.

GVW can sometimes be heavily marked like this, and I think Black-veined lack the blackish wing tips. An underside would clinch it!

Cheers,

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

I've just looked at the UKB species page for Black-veined White, and they look quite different to these individuals. This is especially so as I think these are males, and male BVW have a distinctive forewing mark that these butterflies lack.
https://ukbutterflies.co.uk/photo_album ... 323675.jpg

I lack experience of the actual species, so base this opinion on comparing photos only - professional opinions welcome! :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

It's not a Black Veined White. Crataegi has a very distinctive marking at the outer edge of the cell (marked in red) which is lacking in the butterfly above:
Inked4BVWhite(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Talking of Black veined Whites .........................take a look at Kent Butterflies facebook page ,for anyone interested .
Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Allan.W. wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:40 pm Talking of Black veined Whites .........................take a look at Kent Butterflies facebook page ,for anyone interested .
Allan.W.
Looking at that Facebook page, I see from the comments that one has apparently turned up at Hutchinson's Bank as well.

Dave
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

At least 3 different ones have turned up at Hutchinsons Bank since Sunday in ones and twos over a few days not all at once, all are fresh too, and have been seen around the same few hawthorn bushes, with ones turning up in several places in Kent and Hampshire too this last week. I was on site both days and didnt see any, along with a lot of other people there at the time. I only found out yesterday that they had been seen, and saw one at a distance late this afternoon. I will be looking tomorrow with one of the finders to study the location. With Crimson Speckled moths last summer turning up all over southern england and striped hawks last year and this year, there has been migration of species over a wide area. The other possible answer is the same route as the Oak processionary Moth, via fruit trees imported to garden centres from Europe. A last years larval web cannot be discounted too if there are quite a few seen over the next couple of weeks. If its widespread im sure other sightings will come to light. I hope our lovely site is not trashed more with visitors, we have been busy the last week or so as it is. There has also been other migrants seen on site this last week or so Painted Lady, Clouded Yellow, Silver Y, Red Admiral. [we hardly get double figures of Red Admirals unless they are migrants] Large Tortoiseshell.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I think the original posts are Green-veined Whites though.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

David M wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:13 pm It's not a Black Veined White. Crataegi has a very distinctive marking at the outer edge of the cell (marked in red) which is lacking in the butterfly above:

Inked4BVWhite(1).jpg
I am a little bit in awe of you being able to pick out this little bit of detail for the identification David. I aspire to be able to do this one day.
David M

Post by David M »

I've seen at least 10,000 of them over the years, Otep. I know a Black Veined White when I see one.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Having never seen one and just relying on the internet is obviously not conducive to making IDs :lol: That being said it is a stringing looking butterfly - I’ve never seen a Green-veined white with veined so clearly marked before , they go across the whole world wing 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Todays shots from Hutchinsons Bank.
DSC03285.JPG
DSC07005.JPG
DSC07046.JPG
DSC07306.JPG
DSC07464.JPG
DSC07568.JPG
DSC07704.JPG
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Regardless of origin, it is a stunning butterfly with beautiful photographs.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

MrSp0ck wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:03 pmTodays shots from Hutchinsons Bank.
Now that's a Black Veined White, Sp0ck.

Not difficult when you know what you're looking at.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

They seem to be hatching from a hawthorn clump on part of the reserve, before spreading out later in the day. A fresh male and female this morning, the male was still joining its tongue.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting shots Mr Spock the fifth one in particular as looks quite similar to the one at the start of the post (which is a Green-veined White, not saying it's not, I've learnt my lesson :wink: ) as the distinctive marking isn't strongly marked :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Suggestion on Twitter that someone is releasing them. Circa 10 seen in total with 3 together at Incombe Hole and Steps Hill respectively, in addition to those at Hutchinson's Bank.
David M

Post by David M »

Lawts wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:03 pmSuggestion on Twitter that someone is releasing them.
More than likely.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lawts wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:03 pm Suggestion on Twitter that someone is releasing them. Circa 10 seen in total with 3 together at Incombe Hole and Steps Hill respectively, in addition to those at Hutchinson's Bank.
Hmm. Steps Hill is (perhaps not coincidentally) the site of a release of Marsh Fritillaries a couple of years back. It does make you wonder!

Dave

Return to “Sightings”