Crazy Weather

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
Denise

Crazy Weather

Post by Denise »

As winter fast approaches, yesterday here in Bristol, we had all four seasons. :?
The day started with a slight frost, followed by glorious sunshine. Then thunder and hail, followed by a few flakes of snow quickly turning to rain.
This morning we have had a heavy frost and at 7am it was -2.
My last butterfly sighting was on Sunday 26th (Red Admiral) and it was the same day as my first sighting of the "winter collection" of birds. A stunning male Brambling on my feeder. Very early sighting, as I don't normally get them until February.

Cheers
Denise

Edit :- and now I have 2 male Blackcaps :)
Shirley Roulston

Re: Crazy Weather

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Hi Denise,

You are very lucky to see Bramblings and the Blackcaps, I have noticed a lots of Redwings eating the Haw berries, poor Blackbirds will have to look else where. We also had hailstones yesterday and its bitterly cold. I suppose Winter is on its way.
Regards Shirley
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Shirley,

I too have seen Redwing and Fieldfare in the area, but not in my garden... yet.
Last winter I had a male Reed Bunting :? There are no lakes that are local to me so this was a bit strange. It was here on and off for weeks.
I travelled to Norfolk for a weekends birding last January and saw the American White-crowned Sparrow. I was rather hoping that my Reed bunting was something more exotic, but it was just in a strange plumage. (The feather tips had not worn off to produce that very striking dark head) By late March it was looking like a common or garden variety :(

Anything to keep us sane until the spring and more butterflies. :)
By the way, the temperature has risen to a scorching 6 degrees, and I have seen 2 fast flying Red Admiral this morning.

Denise
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Weathers a bit crazy here in Northern Ireland. I have not seen a butterfly since middle/end of september. We have rain some sun, cold snow and hail yesterday. I have been watching the local water birds, curlews, canadian brent geese. Seems we have canadain brent this year instead of the usual ones from russia direction. These ones are a little lighter coloured than normal. Wondered why I was seeing them a little earlier than usual.

Watching squirrels gather nuts for winter too, its nice. I saw a pair last week fighting over a nut and you could hear them making noises, pitty I did not have my camera then. Also, yesterday a pareguine falcon crashed into our front window on our house, but don't worry, it was unharmed. There is a shoot here that started last weekened and my dad thinks one of the shooters might have clipped it on the wing :( and thats why it crashed, it was a little wary when flying, but seemd alright in general.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hey everyone!
Talking of crazy weather, in Harpenden and the surrounding areas have had snow!! And a decent amount - snowball fights, snow angels, snowmen etc. However driving home in it was awful, bad visability and car skiding around. AND all this weather caused a 16 power cut over night with temperatures below 0 and frost forming on the windows, and we are still without internet and TV
Last edited by KeynvorLogosenn on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeynvorLogosenn

Continuing...
Im using my mobile
there is still snow on the ground! I'll post up photos when i can.
Any one else with snow?
Take care everyone
Em
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

No :(

Gruditch
KeynvorLogosenn

mouse

After all of this, i didnt want the snow, you can have it gruditch!
Day 4: still no real internet and no tv. Eletricity to the house - it comes and goes.
Snow in oct!! Is that normal?!?
KeynvorLogosenn

Right, I am back online properly now!

Here are some of the photos

Snow falling in the garden a few minutes after the power went out.
Night time small.jpg
Night time small.jpg (97.12 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
And the following morning when it was warmer outside than in the house! :lol: So I went out for a walk because I was all stiff from a very cold night.
The local field
field snow small.jpg
field snow small.jpg (112.57 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
And the snow covered fields, which I am sure are beautiful!
snow on hills small.jpg
snow on hills small.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
I still can't believe it :D
Em
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Hi Em,

It looks as though Christmas has come rather sooner that expected, lovely photos. We've had loads of very cold rain. I have noticed that Snowdon mountain has got snow on it. Regards Shirley
KeynvorLogosenn

I can imagine the snow looks beautiful, but I'm not to impressed with it at this time of the year :lol: It caused to many problems!

Oh well, doesn't stop it from being beautiful :) Even though it's slush at the moment, which is even more fun to throw at my brother :twisted:

How would this cold, cold weather affect the over-winter butterflies?

Em
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

The last time I remember seeing substantial snow so early in the south east was back in the winter of 1962-1963. That was by far the most severe winter of my lifetime.

Snow this early .... it's a sign I tell you ... we're all doomed... :(
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
KeynvorLogosenn

Cotswold Cockney wrote: we're all doomed... :(
:(

Makes me wonder if there is any more to come...
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

wow, interesting snow. It seems as if its going backwards here. (or something like that) we had summer, then winter and now it feels autumn. Its warmer past few days than its has been as last week was snow, hail and cold, now it feels a few degress warmer than it was. Last few days I have even seen people out walking about in their tee-shirts and short sleave shirts and tops, even some guy in a convertable car with top down racing down road last night. Its cold at night here, but not too bad during day. Mostly sunny at moment where I live.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Weather”