Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Wurzel »

Great seeing a tweak of the 'Blue on Blue' shot Neil :D 8) more of a 'Blue on a Blue which is actually a bit pink' :wink: :D Love the almost silvery underside that you've captured brilliantly 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Goldie, David and Wurzel and apologies for the late reply. We returned late yesterday from a few days away down south and I have a bit of catching up to do now.

Wednesday 10th May – Heading down to Emsworth.

Last Wednesday (10th May) we set out to spend a few days down in Emsworth visiting our daughter Sarah and the grandkids, this time trying a different B&B just to vary our options. On the way down the M40 and A34 we passed though all sorts of weather, from nice sunny spells to dark clouds and heavy showers, arriving at our daughters at 1.30pm in another spell of rain.
A bit later we went to check into our B&B and after unpacking and settling in, the skies cleared into a nice late afternoon so I popped up the road to Rowlands Castle and had a quick walk into Stansted Forest. I didn’t go far as it was now gone 5.00pm but I still managed to see a couple of Orange-tips and a Peacock before I headed back.

Thursday 11th May.

The forecast for Thursday was saying that early clouds would clear a bit to leave some sunny spells in the morning before rain came in for the afternoon so I decided to make the most of this and head back to Rowlands Castle and have a longer look in Stansted Forest.

Mark Tutton had very kindly sent me details of a couple of locations here where he had seen Pearl-bordered Fritillaries last year so I headed for the closest location where he had said to look out for a recently coppiced area and soon found it. As I approached this spot I noticed a lot of bugle along the side of the ride and with the time being just after 09.30am and with the clouds beginning to break up a bit I decided to stake this spot out for a bit to see if any Pearl-bordered Fritillaries were attracted here to fuel up for the day.
This proved to be a good plan as within a couple of minutes I spotted the first PBF skimming towards me. During the next hour or so I wandered back and forth along this section of ride and ended up seeing half a dozen different PBFs flying out of the nearby coppiced area to the bugle along here. With plenty of clouds passing over they also settled frequently to bask which gave me some good photo opportunities.
Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
At one point I spotted a larger pale orange butterfly and my heart skipped a beat for a moment until I realised that it was a Painted Lady, my first for the year.
Painted Lady - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
I also saw quite a few Speckled Yellow Moths along here and actually managed a couple of shots of these normally very flighty day flyers.
Speckled Yellow - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Speckled Yellow - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Also seen before I headed back to Jane were a couple of Orange-tips and a single Green-veined White.

With the grandkids at school and Sarah spending a few hours working from home, we then popped into Emsworth for a wander around the harbour and to have a coffee. The threatened rain had not arrived and so Jane said she would like to go to Stansted Park to have a look at the garden centre and farm shop there. While Jane was busy wandering around here I took the opportunity to pace it out back to where I had been in the morning, mostly out of curiosity as to how long it would take me from this side of the forest and found it took about 5 minutes longer than it had taken me from the Rowland Castle end.
On the way I spotted some dark clouds on the horizon but fortunately they looked like they were passing us by rather than heading for us.

On the way up the ride towards the spot where I had been earlier I saw a couple each of Orange-tips and Brimstones, all very active on what had become a warm afternoon.
I also spotted a Grizzled Skipper that settled in front of me giving me the chance of a quick photo before I lost sight of him.
Grizzled Skipper - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Grizzled Skipper - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
Arriving at the stretch where I had seen the PBFs earlier it soon became apparent that they had mostly dispersed after feeding up but I did manage to spot a couple flying between the bugle and the coppiced area on the other side of the ride.
Circling back through this coppiced area produced a few more but they were far more active than they had been earlier.

As I started to head back along the ride, I spotted a number of Green Tiger Beetles, including a couple of pairs in cop, something that I have never seen with these before. Mind you I don’t have these locally, the nearest place that I have seen them before being the Wyre Forest in Worcestershire. I also noticed that they varied quite a bit in their shade of green.
Green Tiger Beetles - Stansted Forest 11.05.2023
On the way back I heard a couple of distant rumbles of thunder but the black clouds didn’t come any closer and in the end we never did get any rain.

Jane and Sarah had plans to go shopping the next day so…

To be continued.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Pearls Neil :D 8) and a Painted Lady to boot- the vanguard have arrived already - a good sign fingers crossed :D
"Shopping plans" - I use to loath this phrase as I'd have to drive the girls there but now they like to go locally I'm coming round to it :wink: Looking forward to the next post (a Duke maybe?) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. I don't mind them making shopping plans when I am left out of them :wink: :lol:
Wurzel wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:37 pm Looking forward to the next post (a Duke maybe?)
Yep, a couple coming up :D

Friday 12th May.

After breakfast I dropped Jane off at Sarah’s ready for them to disappear off on their shopping trip and with a few hours to myself I decided to head up to Butser Hill. I arrived at 10.15am and pulled into the car park at the top of the hill. It was still quite overcast and stepping out of the car I was immediately conscious of a cold wind blowing across the hill, so much so that I had to hold on to my hat to keep it from being blown off my head. I was hoping that it would be more sheltered down in Rake Bottom on the other side of the hill and so it proved to be although the wind was still present at times.

The forecast had said that the clouds would thin out to allow some sunny spells during the morning before rain headed in for the afternoon and as I started wander along the valley the clouds did indeed start to thin out a bit to allow some brighter periods, even if the sun was not properly breaking through yet. I soon spotted a small orangy butterfly and was surprised to see it was a Duke of Burgundy given that these are noted for being quite late risers, especially in conditions like this morning. Getting closer I was even more surprised to see that it was a nice Duchess that fluttered lazily about and settled a few times close by. Maybe the females get up earlier to wander around a bit before the males start to harrass them.
Duke of Burgundy female  - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Duke of Burgundy female - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Duke of Burgundy female  - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
I then carried on my wanderings, keeping to the sheltered side of the shrub line and soon began to see a few more butterflies, mostly Dingy and Grizzled Skippers at first. I reckon I saw around a dozen of each of these during the morning as I wandered back and forth along the valley.
Grizzled Skipper -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Grizzled Skipper - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Dingy Skipper -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Dingy Skipper - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
As the morning progressed, the clouds continued to break up until they eventually allowed a few nice sunny spells, although that cold wind could still be felt, especially when the clouds covered the sun for any length of time. During the sunny spells, I started looking for Green Hairstreaks and eventually saw around half a dozen although these would often be blown away by the blustery wind. Just one of them came close enough in a sheltered hollow where it fluttered about a bit and settled a couple of times allowing me to get a couple of photos.
Green Hairstreak -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Green Hairstreak - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Green Hairstreak -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Green Hairstreak - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
I also found what I originally thought to be 3 or 4 more Duke of Burgundies but my photos show that it was actually the same male that appeared in a few different spots.
Duke of Burgundy male - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
As it warmed up a bit other butterflies appeared including around half a dozen each of Brimstone, Peacock and Red Admiral.
Brimstone -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Brimstone - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Red Admiral -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Red Admiral - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
My final tally for the morning was completed by single nice fresh examples each of Small Copper and Brown Argus.
Small Copper -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Small Copper - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Brown Argus -  Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Brown Argus - Rake Bottom 12.05.2023
Not a bad morning in the end despite the cool and somewhat borderline conditions for most of it.

Around 12.30 some more ominous looking black clouds were approaching so I started making my way back up the hill, making it back to the car park just in time as the first drops of rain started to fall. This became heavier as I headed back to Sarah’s with the rest of the afternoon being a dull one with more showers. Unlike the previous day, today’s forecast had proved to be more correct and the rain did arrive when they said it would.

To be continued...

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

For your visit to Sussex I would have suggested Kithurst flower meadow.
But everything Kithurst has to offer you found at Butser.
Interesting report and lovely images.

Trevor.

PS. I always get the shivers driving through Butser on the A3.
When I was young I was in my mates Mini, which overturned and
slid down the hill on its roof. We and our girlfriends all got out without a scratch!.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Trevor. I am not sure where Kithurst is, I'll bear it in mind for future visits. Butser Hill is fairly straight 20 minute drive from Sarah's house in Emsworth so nice and convenient.

Glad to hear you were all ok after that incident on the A3 all those years ago.

Saturday 13th May.

A bonus morning. Jane had arranged to spend the morning at Sarah’s and said that I could go off somewhere as long as I wasn’t gone too long and came back to spend some time with them in the afternoon. I wondered about returning to Butser Hill but in the end decided to go to Old Winchester Hill as my previous visits there had been later in the season, either in early June or August/September and I was keen to see what would be there at this time of year.
I arrived at the car park at OWH under a dull overcast but the forecast indicated that this would break up through the morning. There was also a bit of a cold breeze but at least it was far less blustery than it had been the previous day.

I made my way down to the lower slope below the car park where it was more sheltered and started ambling back and forth. It didn’t take long for me to start seeing a few Dingy and Grizzled Skippers which were still a bit lethargic in the cool and cloudy conditions. Over the next couple of hours I saw similar numbers of both species here as I had the previous day at Rake Bottom, that is around a dozen of each.
Grizzled Skipper - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
Dingy Skipper - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
As the clouds began to break up and the sun began to appear I thought I spotted my first Large White of the year but soon realised that it was a female Brimstone that fluttered around a couple of small buckthorns on the slope and began to egg lay.
Brimstone female - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
Brimstone female - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
As the cloud continued to dissipate to give us some longer spells of nice warm sunshine, more Brimstones appeared until I could look across the hillside and see half a dozen in the air at the same time. These were mostly males actively patrolling back and forth but occasionally they would find a female and chase after her until she dropped down into the vegetation. I watched this happen a couple of times but the female was always up and off again before I could get close. I did however fire off a few shots at the couples in flight and managed to capture the shot below.
Brimstone pair - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
Brimstone pair - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
At one point I also thought I saw my first Common Blue but was wrong again when it settled and turned out to be a female Holly Blue that was lurking around some small dogwood shrubs out in the open. After that I saw a couple more Holly Blues flying along the lower shrub line.
Holly Blue - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
I was also chuffed to find a couple of Duke of Burgundies here, a Duchess and a dark looking male, both a bit worn around the fringes and looking like they had been out a few days.
Duke of Burgundy female - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
Duke of Burgundy - Old Winchester Hill 13.05.2023
By about 12.30 the clouds had almost vanished and it was getting quite warm, with the butterflies responding by being far more active and more difficult to approach. Having had a good couple of hours here I made my way back up the hill to the car park and headed back to Sarah’s.

Later in the afternoon Jane and Sarah wanted to go to Southbourne Farm Shop where I spotted a couple of Red Admirals flying round the car park.

The next day (Sunday), after breakfast we checked out of the B&B and popped round to Sarah’s for a coffee before heading back home.

Before going down south I had been a bit concerned about the weather forecast, which was not looking good, but I was hoping for a window or two to get out looking for butterflies. In the end I had some good sessions and saw all my targets. A total of 14 species were seen across the 3 sites that I visited with 8 new species for the year putting me now on 17 and almost doubling the number I had seen so far.
Having said that, the general theme of the season being late was apparent with my visit to Butser Hill/Rake Bottom in particular producing similar species in similar condition to when I had visited there last year in the middle of April. I also noted the lack of whites with, apart from a few Orange-tips, just a couple of Green-veined Whites seen. I still haven’t seen a Large White yet this year.

Bye for now,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil, looks like you made the most of your time down there.

An enjoyable read, and some excellent images to go with it.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Dukes and Grizzlies Neil :D Really like the look of the final one - very dark and missing a lot of markings from the hind wing 8) Also love the second Grizzlie shot from the 13th- brilliant stuff 8) :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mark. It was very much 'take each day as it comes' and trying to balance making the most of the weather windows and family time.

Cheers Wurzel. I have noticed before that 'southern' Dukes can often be darker than those from elswehere. With that 2nd Grizzlie shot I would have like to see more underside but couldn't get the camera any lower without digging a hole in the ground 8) :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I do like that Grizzled Skipper image Neil (the underside) and the egg-laying Brimstone too - tho' it's a pity she didn't choose a slightly different angle.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline. I tried for a better angle on the female Brimstone but she didn't stay around long enough.

Saturday 20th May.

This past week has seen a mix of weather with a lot of cloud earlier in the week and although we have seen some nice sunny spells there has been a persistant cold wind. Friday was a decent day up until mid afternoon when the clouds once more built up and we ended up having some torrential rain into the evening.
The clouds cleared sometime overnight to give us a sunny Saturday morning with wall to wall blue skies although it was still quite chilly to start with and we still had that cool wind.

After doing some household stuff in the morning and with the sun still shining from clear blue skies, around 1.00pm I had a wander down to my local spot by Wagon Lane. I hadn't been here since before we went down south and I wanted to see what was about, although I knew that taking photos of fully warmed up butterflies would be tricky in the bright sunshine.

The spring Small Tortoiseshells are now almost over for this year with just a couple of tatty examples seen, likewise with the two Peacocks seen that were both getting on a bit now. No Commas were seen today.
Peacock - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Peacock - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
A couple of female Speckled Wood were fluttering about deep in the long grass at the base of the hedgrows and I managed to get a shot of one laying deep in the shade. I had to brighten the photo below quite a bit to show her up.
Speckled Wood female -  Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Speckled Wood female - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Holly Blues were actively patrolling along the hedgrows with 7 or 8 seen along with similar numbers of unidentified whites. A couple of the whites settled briefly which enabled me to confirm they were Small Whites, I did not knowingly see a Green-veined White here today.
Small White -  Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Small White - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Half a dozen or so male Orange-tips were also seen and at least a couple of females came close enough in flight to ID. The only Orange-tips that came close to settling were a male that tried it on with a female and received the rejection pose. This didn't last long and took place low down in the grass but I managed to fire off a few quick shots before it was all over and they went off in different directions.
Orange-tip pair -  Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Orange-tip pair - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Orange-tip pair -  Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Orange-tip pair - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Orange-tip -  Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Orange-tip - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
The hawthorn blossom is looking especially good this year.
Hawthorn blossom over a seas of cow parsley - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
Hawthorn blossom over a seas of cow parsley - Wagon Lane 20.05.2023
The forecast for the coming week is looking promising (yeah, I know) so hopefully I will be able to get out a bit further afield.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You've clearly found the knack of getting these egg-laying shots Neil :D I'm wondering what your secret is cos in my experience it takes more skill than luck to be able to do that repeatedly :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant to see the egg-laying Specklie Neil - something I've not seen for myself before - I'll have to keep my eyes peeled :D :mrgreen: Also good to see the tired and worn looking OT still having plenty of vim and vigour :D :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a beautiful image of the hawthorn blossom with the cow parsley, Neil. Looks like a dusting of snow.

Congratulations to that elderly Peacock too. It must be 11 months old but it's still going!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Pauline. I think that there is luck involved in being in the right place at the right time but possibly some skill in recognising the behaviour and then patience in not getting too close too soon.

Cheers Wurzel. I've seen egg laying Specklies a few times but more often than not they are deep in the grass and hard to see.

Thanks David. It is a very good year for hawthorn blossom with some beautiful displays at the moment.

Tuesday 23rd May.

Last week, I saw that Small Blues were being reported from Bishops Hill in Warwickshire and so with a forecast for light cloud and sunny spells this morning we decided to have our annual run down the M40 for a visit. We arrived at 10.15 and for the next hour or so we enjoyed some nice warm sun with just some occasional high level cloud.

Small Blues can usually be seen here in the small grassy area just inside the gate into the reserve and so it proved to be today with at least a dozen flying in this first area. As we explored further around the site it became obvious that there were good numbers flying with a conservative estimate of 100 plus, in all kinds of condition, spread all over the area.
Small Blue - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Every time I come here for the Small Blues I find at least one mating pair and today was no exception.
Small Blue pair - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Small Blue pair - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
At least a dozen fresh male Common Blues were also seen, my first for the year.
Common Blue - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Around half a dozen Dingy Skippers were about, mostly looking quite fresh.
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
I am always pleased to find Grizzled Skippers here as this population is small so was therefore chuffed to find three different individuals today.
Grizzled Skipper - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023

One of these was spotted a bit later in the morning when a thicker layer of cloud had built up and gave me the opportunity for a few photos including another similar to the one I had taken at Old Winchester Hill the other week.
Other butterflies seen included singles of Brimstone, Orange-tip and Holly Blue, none of which I saw touch down anywhere.

Equally as active were a couple each of Burnet Companion and Mother Shipton day flying moths none of which allowed a close approach today.

A few White-legged Damselflies were also seen. This is a scarce species in Warwickshire although this is a known site for them and I have seen them here before.
White-legged Damselfly - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
White-legged Damselfly - Bishops Hill 23.05.2023
Around 11.30 the cloud became darker and thicker and after another twenty minutes or so we made a move for home.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wednesday 24th May

With another forecast for good weather and Jane having made plans to spend all day at her mom’s, I decided to grab the opportunity to go a bit further afield and head down to Prestbury Hill by Cheltenham in Gloucestershire. There were a couple of reasons I wanted to go there, one being I hadn’t been there for a few years, the last time being in 2019. The other reason was that I had seen last week that Marsh Fritillaries were flying there and I haven’t seen these for a couple of years now, the last one being a single individual seen in Cornwall on the Lizard in 2021.
This population was not here the last time I visited and from what I understand there are differing opinions on it’s origin. The nearest other population is at Strawberry Banks between Cirencester and Stroud and some are of the opinion that they have spread from there with possibly unknown colonies in between. Others are of the opinion, especially given the number of unauthorised releases of this species in recent years, that this is yet another release. This just shows how these releases muddy the waters of our understanding of the genuine distribution of a number of species. Anyway, whatever their origin, these are now the nearest population to me and many enthusiasts from the midlands have been going down to see them over the past few years. This in itself may be a good thing as it could be taking the pressure off Strawberry Banks which I had heard had been suffering a bit from trampling of habitat.

Anyway, I arrived at the top of the Bill Smyllie reserve just before 10.00am under quite a bit of cloud cover and with a chilly breeze blowing across the upper slopes. I headed down towards the lower slopes where it was more sheltered and started seeing a few Dingy Skippers and Small Heath (my first for the year). It didn’t take long before the clouds started to thin out allowing things to warm up a bit and more butterflies started to appear including a few Marsh Fritillaries.
Over the next hour or so I reckon I saw maybe 20-25 before I decided to wander through the wood to the Masts Reserve where I spent another hour or so and saw a few more Marshies. By this time the clouds had all but vanished and it was becoming much warmer so I decided to wander back though the woods and slowly make my way back up to the car. It now became obvious that many more butterflies were flying in the warm sun including at least double the number of Marsh Fritillaries that I had already seen.
A selection below taken thoughout the morning.
Marsh Fritillary - Prestbury Hill 24.05.2023
A couple of times I watched courtship attempts in which males would chase the females into some long grass. There then ensued a sort of ‘Marshie merry-go-round‘ with the female rapidly walking round in tight circles with the male following. In each case this lasted for a few minutes before the male gave up and flew off with the female soon going in the other direction.
Marsh Fritillary pair - Prestbury Hill 24.05.2023
My secondary target for today and the reason that I used to come here previously was Duke of Burgundy. I saw three individuals at the bottom of the slope in the Bill Smyllie reserve and then maybe half a dozen more at the bottom of the Masts reserve. These were in varying condition from really worn and tatty to quite good looking still and included a couple of Duchesses, both seen in the Bill Smyllie side.
Duke of Burgundy - Prestbury Hill 24.05.2023
Duchess - Prestbury Hill 24.05.2023
Plenty of other butterflies were seen but that is enough for one post so I will follow up with the supporting cast in the next report.

To be continued…

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some great posts recently with a good range of species, you've certainly made good use of your time!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Marshie shots Neil 8) The sheer variety in their markings is just brilliant 8) Lovely looking Duchess's too 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Some excellent butterflies in your latest reportages, Neil. You've done particularly well with those Grizzled Skippers; I don't think I've ever seen my local ones on grass stems.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Paul. A happy combination of being able to get out coinciding with some decent weather this week.

Cheers Wurzel. I find the variation in Marsh Fritillaries fascinating, no two individuals seem to be alike.

Thanks David. To be honest I can't remember if I have seen them on grass stems before, in most years I don't see that many but have been lucky this year in that I have seen them at four different sites, three down south and then this week at Bishops Hill.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”