Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Trevor

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely fresh Pearl there Trevor :mrgreen: :D
We are heading down south later this week to see our daughter in Emsworth for a few days so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to get out to see some butterflies down there.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Pearl Trevor, that's one we can't get round here, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Nice find, Trevor. I may miss this species in the UK this year so nice to live vicariously with images others have posted.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks folks for your comments.

This morning I popped up to High and over and immediately found two male Wall Browns.
Both were seen in the meadow. Neither were fresh but both were in good condition.
One was nestaring on Field Buttercups and the other was basking on the bare chalk
in front of the seat. Luckily I saw them before very low, dark cloud curtailed the action.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1370735.JPG
P1370725.JPG
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely images of the Wall Brown Trevor. Butterflies are slowly appearing but it is becoming tedious trying to get out between thunderstorms and unpredictable downpours.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Believe it or not Pauline all the storms missed this area, though Tunbridge Wells had one yesterday.
Today was largely sunny and a good day to search for Pearls. Glad you enjoyed the Walls.
trevor

Post by trevor »

After the overnight rain, the cloud began to break up at about 8.30, so I was off to
hopefully find some Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. by 9.00 the sky had cleared completely
and the PBF were already lively. Whilst chatting to a local enthusiast we both saw three
PBF spiralling skywards. Later in the morning some large clouds began to build and a few
Pearls were found basking on the ground which made photography easier. One of them
turned out to be the same one I saw on Sunday, it's fringe hair now showing some signs of wear.
In all about six males were seen.
Quite a few female Brimstones were busy around the Alder Buckthorn, several females and
a few males later paused from their activities and allowed close approach
Attachments
P1370769.JPG
P1370764.JPG
P1370750.JPG
P1370759.JPG
The same one seen on Sunday.
The same one seen on Sunday.
P1370745.JPG
P1370743.JPG
P1370751.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Pearls and Walls Trevor :D Hopefully we'll get one good day at the weekend - that's what my butterflying has entailed so far this year :roll: Keeping my eyes peeled for reports from the Hill :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw your Wall Shots Trevor, lovely open wing shots :mrgreen: It made me try for Reculver, the Walls there didn't open there wings on landing like yours I'll have to go back there soon :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. Looks as though I'll be in Wilts from Sat 20th until Tuesday.
Hopefully weather and Marshies will play ball!

Thanks Goldie. Try a cloudy, mild day for Walls, they fly when it's not sunny.
That way they should bask with their wings open. Sounds like it was too warm when you went.

The threatened thunder storms over recent days have not materialised over this way,
but this morning looked ominous, so I stayed local. Because of the cloud not much was flying,
but I was pleased to find my first, fresh, male Large White of the year. Also a fresh but damaged
female Holly Blue landed near me. How it's RH side became so tattered is a mystery.

Small but welcome rewards today.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1370788.JPG
P1370775.JPG
P1370789.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great news Trevor :D - fingers crossed things are back on track - them seem to be catching up again :D Lovely looking Large White and Holly Blue 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:39 pm...I was pleased to find my first, fresh, male Large White of the year...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice individual, Trevor. I'm still missing that one. :(
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Wurzel. I would say that we're back on track after today!
Cheers David. Still only the one Large White so far.

TODAY PART ONE.

With today's Saturday job at Halnaker cancelled I decided to visit Kithurst flower meadow.
I arrived just after 9 and was greeted by a strong breeze, and cloud which looked like a
high up sea mist. As the Sun started to burn through it was still quiet, but once the sky
cleared the place started to go mad! Fortunately the Dukes were still in good condition
and numbers seemed to increase as the morning wore on.
I must thank Bob Eade for pointing out a mating pair of Dukes ( good to see you Bob ).
After photographing the mating pair I was attracted to a Hawthorn bush with a Green
Hairstreak posing on the blossom. Returning to the mating Dukes someone had moved
them onto Cowslip and this had attracted quite a crowd of photographers.
I could have overdosed on Dukes, but there were plenty of other distractions..............
Attachments
P1370962.JPG
P1370965.JPG
P1370977.JPG
P1370865.JPG
P1370891.JPG
P1370828.JPG
P1370815.JPG
P1370807.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Sounds like a good morning.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Yes it was Katrina, and there's more to come!
trevor

Post by trevor »

SATURDAY 13th May PART TWO.

Besides the Dukes, the main reason for the visit to Kithurst, there was plenty
of variety on offer. The Green Hairstreaks were found in more photogenic situations
than those at Horseshoe Plantation, and were found on Hawthorn blossom and on a Cowslip.,
Of their behaviour I noticed that those found on leaves of the shrubbery by the edge of
the site were restless and rose up to challenge any passing butterfly, whereas those
on the Hawthorn and Cowslip were docile and remained in place for at least half an hour.

The hoped for Skippers materialised, and a mating pair of Grizzled Skippers was a highlight
of the visit. I only saw a couple of Dingy Skippers the whole time, which was surprising.
One final sighting just before I left was of a very fresh Brown Argus.

One of the better days of this year so far.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1370932.JPG
P1370859.JPG
P1370840.JPG
P1370912.JPG
P1370802.JPG
P1370945.JPG
P1370900.JPG
P1370936.JPG
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Good to see you too Trevor. I must confess it got a little too busy for me after showing you the mating pair of Dukes. I had a feeling someone would move them. It was a bit of a shame as they did actually look extremely good where they were, and they were so content, but such is life!!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

A :mrgreen: for the grizzlies and greens - well done!
trevor

Post by trevor »

After you left, Bob, the site became a little crowded, but well mannered.

Thanks Katrina. I was pleased to see the GH in a more aesthetic setting.
Also by the end of the morning I had five new species for the year in the bag!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A very good day indeed Trevor, and like you say, they are at a premium this year!
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”