Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Those are absolutely lovely shots of the Holly Blue Trevor :D I love the way they hold their wings like that so the front looks pretty straight but the back is really curved :D 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great shots of the Holly Blues, Trevor.

Cool mornings are good for this species if you want open wing shots.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Dave, Goldie, Wurzel & David, for your kind comments on the Holly Blue.
Indeed the comment from Dave ' Mr Holly Blue ' is a very welcome complement ! :D

Today the cloud cover only began to break up well after lunchtime, but the temperature was near perfect.
A very slow walk along the Cuckoo Trail eventually produced a very fine female Speckled Wood with a very
nice backdrop for an image. A little later a male Orange Tip came in from nowhere, right in front of me,
and looking for refuge as the Sun went in. I had about 5 mins to take some closed wing shots before the
cloud cleared, only to discover a chunk out of it's L/H hindwing. I'm not complaining as it was my first O/T
to photograph so far. Another male O/T was seen on my way back to the car, as was a very frisky, female,
Red Admiral

Getting better!
Trevor.
Attachments
P1370454.JPG
P1370465.JPG
P1370455.JPG
P1370468.JPG
P1370447.JPG
P1370474.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Good to see your diary looking springlike at last, it's been a painful start to the season even though we all know we need the rain.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Paul. Hopefully we've lost the Easterlies at last.
Orange Tips seem to be widespread now, and I would not be surprised if the first
Pearl was seen today in Sussex. I was working today so could not indulge :(
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Some great shots of spring species recently Trevor. I try to deal with the frustration of a slow spring by convincing myself that all we’re really doing is condensing all the fun into a mega few weeks when we finally get some warmth. The only problem with that though, is that when it does all explode there won’t be enough hours in the day to cope with it all and it’ll all be over before we’ve caught our breath! Butterfly days might be about to get very busy…….
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Ben. Exactly my thoughts, they'll all come at once!
Each species has it's own slot in the year to get things done, and all the cold east winds
have held some up. At least around here we've had three decent days on the trot.

Your PE adventures have been a great read so far, looking forward to the adults!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Trevor - and some spring-like activity at last :D I can't work out what has happened to the OT - it's such a clean wedge cut it almost looks like someone's gone at it with a pair of scissors :shock: :wink: I'm hoping that when the butterflies do come it's not quite all at once because at this rate I could miss all the action through being stuck in work :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. At least I had a few seconds with an intact, flighty, OT this afternoon
and it was a case of 'click' and hope for the best. 10 points to my camera for capturing this...............
Attachments
P1370475.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great OTs , I’ve yet to see one this year.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's not a proper OT shot Trevor unless you've worked up a sweat from running 5k after the blessed thing :roll: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Wurzel. Only meticulously behaved OT's today, no sweat necessary :D

As soon as I entered the Cuckoo Trail this afternoon I was greeted by a fluttering white butterfly.
When it eventually landed it was a delight to discover a female Orange Tip. All the more special
as I missed the chance to photograph one last year.
Later on a male OT could be seen searching for somewhere to land as a cloud came over.
I spent ages with this one hoping for the Sun to return, Some Sun for a few seconds persuaded
the OT to partially open up, then the cloud thickened and it started to rain, so I left it be and
went home.
A rewarding afternoon.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1370483.JPG
P1370485.JPG
P1370489.JPG
P1370512.JPG
P1370518.JPG
P1370521.JPG
P1370522.JPG
P1370523.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looks like your local Orange-tips are finally starting to play ball at last, :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Paul. There seems to be a golden rule at the Cuckoo Trail, don't expect to see
OT's until the Cow Parsley is flowering. It is now almost in full flower, and is usually
the first choice for OT's when the Sun goes in. Is it a coincidence that an OT's hindwing
colouring and pattern blend in with Cow Parsley flower heads when they're perched.

Nature's amazing.
trevor

Post by trevor »

It was well after lunch before the overcast sky cleared today, this left little time for butterflies.
Despite the clearing sky with only wispy cloud, certainly not dense enough to send Orange Tips
to look for refuge. I was lucky when several OT's landed open wing in the sunshine, including one
on a periwinkle flower, very colourful!
Also a very obliging male Holly Blue spent ages mudpuddling, even cyclists passing close by did
not disturb it from seeking minerals.
The afternoon was completed with a beautifully marked female Speckled Wood.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1370530.JPG
P1370532.JPG
P1370544.JPG
P1370537.JPG
P1370542.JPG
P1370527.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Trevor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: so much so I pressed the wrong button on my computer , couldn't wait to tell you :lol:

I've not seen one yet , I don't think they like it round here too windy and cold :lol: Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Goldie. There seem to be plenty of OT's around now, so you might see one soon.

Good luck!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Having overdosed on OT's in recent days it was time for a change today.
Looking at the cloudless sky, it seemed a good idea to seek out the Green one.
So off to Horseshoe Plantation, a reliable site. But for over an hour on site, nothing,
just a few Specklies defending their territory. About to give it up as a bad job,
a well worn Green Hairstreak came apparently from nowhere. Many shots and half an hour
later this old GH was seen in dispute with another GH, and this one was fresh!
As the morning wore on several more GH's joined in and disputes became regular,
including one with three individuals and a Specklie joining in when they passed over
his territory. I would estimate that about six GH were seen in about three hours.

A successful morning.
Trevor.
Attachments
The first, old, GH of the morning.
The first, old, GH of the morning.
P1370607.JPG
P1370567.JPG
P1370563.JPG
Blending in.
Blending in.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful GHs there - perfect!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Katrina, I see you saw some GH's too, and enjoyed some good company.
Well done with the Duke, I'll save Kithurst for my journey to Halnaker one Saturday.

Return to “Personal Diaries”