Speckled Wood?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Deborah

Speckled Wood?

Post by Deborah »

I can’t quite believe I’m asking if this is a Speckled Wood or a Wall Brown. I know it should be more orange if it’s a Wall; but the markings didn’t look quite right for a Speckled Wood. Photo taken yesterday. The second photo is a Wall Brown taken in October last year. Help appreciated!
Attachments
13D16471-7CAD-46CC-B5C6-06C67F9105B5.jpeg
3D39C0AA-F21F-463C-BD7E-5BCB10D06306.jpeg
David M

Re: Speckled Wood?

Post by David M »

Hi Deborah. It's a Speckled Wood and looks to be a female.

I think you have both aegeria and tircis forms in your area and whilst this appears to be tircis, the markings on the lower outer edges of the forewings look rather paler than would be the norm.

I don't know if these two forms can hybridise but your specimen looks to have an element of both.

Take a look at this wesite:

http://www.eurobutterflies.com/sp/aegeria.php

This female from that page is a classic tircis:
aegeria37.jpg
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Thanks a lot David :D You’re right - I’ve seen both kinds of Speckled Woods here and most commonly they are definitely all more orangey!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I agree with David, except I think (if I understand him correctly) he has the names the wrong way round. Tircis is the form (or subspecies) found in the UK and eastwards, while aegeria is the form found from Brittany westwards and south to Iberia and North Africa. Sorry if I misunderstood you, David.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

I think the confusion arises from the link that David has included to Matt Rowling's excellent website. The first two images of Speckled Wood on Matt's page appear to have their names transposed, tircis for aegeria and vice versa.
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:30 pmI think the confusion arises from the link that David has included to Matt Rowling's excellent website. The first two images of Speckled Wood on Matt's page appear to have their names transposed, tircis for aegeria and vice versa.
That's right, Pete, although it doesn't help that in France, the Speckled Wood is actually called 'Le Tircis'.

My apologies for the mix-up.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

A 'le Tircus' from Normandie today..

P1430646Resize.JPG

Return to “Identification”