University Challenge

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Danny

University Challenge

Post by Danny »

Tonight University challenge had butterfly questions....pictures of a Red Admiral, followed by Peacock Purple Emperor and Painted Lady. My 7 year old daughter (Jasmine) got them all correct, whereas the team from King's College Oxford got them all wrong! It seems my training has paid off!

Danny
Rogerdodge

Re: University Challenge

Post by Rogerdodge »

"She who must be obeyed" refused to let me answer, and got the first three right, whilst getting stuck on Painted Lady and saying "Isn't it Vanessa something?"
Not bad I reckon - osmosis or something.

Roger.
Cheers

Roger
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Get it right Danny, they did at least get the Red Admiral correct. I doubt they'd be best pleased at being referred to as Oxford either.
Can I be the official forum pedant please?
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

When I am trying to recruit new members to Butterfly Conservation one of the silly stories I use ( as a reason for learning more about butterflies and moths) is the man who lost a lot of money on "Who wants to be a millionaire" years ago because he could not pick Speckled Wood as the odd one out with three pictures of moths!

Very shortly I will be posting a review of Matthew Oates new book for children " All about Butterflies" . At £4.99 its a great way for children & adults to learn lots more about butterflies.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Lynn wrote:When I am trying to recruit new members to Butterfly Conservation one of the silly stories I use ( as a reason for learning more about butterflies and moths) is the man who lost a lot of money on "Who wants to be a millionaire" years ago because he could not pick Speckled Wood as the odd one out with three pictures of moths!

Very shortly I will be posting a review of Matthew Oates new book for children " All about Butterflies" . At £4.99 its a great way for children & adults to learn lots more about butterflies.
Hi Lynn - I think the question was "which of these is not a bird" ... Speckled Wood, etc. etc.

Anyway - if you want to provide a review of Matthew's book for UKB, I'd be happy to publicise it on the main page - no need to confine it to the forums! And see you Saturday at the Hants AGM (I hope!).

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Danny

Post by Danny »

m_galathea wrote:Get it right Danny, they did at least get the Red Admiral correct. I doubt they'd be best pleased at being referred to as Oxford either.
Can I be the official forum pedant please?
Yes they were Cambridge....and yes they got the first one right....oh well at least I know my butterflies.

Danny

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”