Amateur Entomology Society show

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
bugmadmark

Amateur Entomology Society show

Post by bugmadmark »

Hi

Its been years since I went to one of these. I used to go religously as a kids with my school as we used to exhibit a large collection of reptiles, amphibians, insects and mammals. I understand the show was on the 18th this year (my daughters birthday) so I wasnt able to take my son even though ive been promising him for 2 years now. i just wondered if anyone else goes to this event or if anyone went this year. Id love to know what it's like. The last one I went to would have been around 1986! Back then I recall buying 5 'spiderlings' - handreared bird eating spiders.Much to my mums annoyance I got all of them to adulthood! This coupled to dozens of exotic moths flying around my bedroom day and night meant i was something of a bug geek. Ohh how I miss those days! Im looking to use my son as an excuse to get some livestock. Maybe next year! Of course in the 80's the number of dead butterflies, beetles etc for sale were enormous - and ive got a collection in the attic (now looking very tired) - but when I took up Photography in the late 80's my attitude to buying killed insects changed. I used to rear my own and photograph them. What would I find if I went to AES these days?
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Amateur Entomology Society show

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Mark - I was there, helping out on the BirdGuides stand, as it happens. They have a very nice Buttefly Interactive Guide product that I'll be reviewing very soon.

Anyway - the AES exhibition hasn't really changed much - I first attended in 1974 :) Still lots of deadstock - together with livestock, equipment, books etc. The main difference is probably the scale of the event - which is pretty big these days (it takes about an hour to get around everything!).

I personally use the event to meet up with old friends and have a chat!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Susie

Post by Susie »

I went for the first time last year and wanted to go back this year but it clashed with a prior commitment.

Last year I was amazed by how many live creatures there were for sale, particularly spiders. I wanted to buy some butterfly pupa but couldn't decide what to get. It's on my list of things to do next year.

I was suprised to see insects set in plastic as keyrings and the like, so things haven changed that much from years ago.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Susie wrote:
I was suprised to see insects set in plastic as keyrings and the like, so things haven changed that much from years ago.
Seems like a merchandising opportunity there for someone - nice Small Tortoiseshell in plastic anyone :?:
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Susie

Post by Susie »

Brown hairstreak? :lol:
Piers

Post by Piers »

I was there, and I try to go every year; like Pete I use it as a means of catching up with folk who I haven't seen since the previous years show...!

Interestingly, I overheard a conversation regarding the release of captive bred Glanville Fritillary on the Somerset coast - I assume the Sand Point population.

Also of interest (well to me anyway) was learning the true provenance of the "English" Large Blue specimens that regularly feature on Ebay and sell for in excess of £100 per specimen. It would seem that fools and their money ARE easily parted after all...!!!

The show ain't what it used to be, but it's still a nice day out.

Felix.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Felix wrote:Also of interest (well to me anyway) was learning the true provenance of the "English" Large Blue specimens that regularly feature on Ebay and sell for in excess of £100 per specimen. It would seem that fools and their money ARE easily parted after all...!!!
This happens with livestock too. I remember one chap who claimed to have caught (in the wild) 2 female Long-tailed Blues in Hampshire. 2 weeks later he was offering "British" Long-tailed Blue ova at £20 for 10. And, I believe, they all sold.

Cheers,

- Pete
NickB

Post by NickB »

Susie wrote:Brown hairstreak? :lol:
Since the only one I've seen in the UK was disputed by my brother (edge of Purbeck Hills nr Swanage - "never seen there before!"), I should perhaps have taken a direct approach to preserving the evidence, not having my camera with me!
On the other hand, since you seem to have a surplus..... :twisted:
N
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Thanks for this. Can you get to the event by underground or is it too far out? I think I can convice my wife let me go with my son if she can go shopping in the City next Oct - as long as it isnt the same w/end (my daugtehrs b'day). Letting my good lady out in london with a credit card is a dangerous move I know - and she'll definately come back with some new shoes. But then I'll come back with things that move and wiggle and maybe even a moth trap. Seems a reasonable compromise! Do the BC/UK Butterflies have a stand there?
NickB

Post by NickB »

bugmadmark wrote: Letting my good lady out in london with a credit card is a dangerous move I know - and she'll definately come back with some new shoes.
Apparently, they can never have enough shoes...!
Blokes, generally, seem to get by with only a couple of pairs....
N
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

bugmadmark wrote:Thanks for this. Can you get to the event by underground or is it too far out? I think I can convice my wife let me go with my son if she can go shopping in the City next Oct - as long as it isnt the same w/end (my daugtehrs b'day). Letting my good lady out in london with a credit card is a dangerous move I know - and she'll definately come back with some new shoes. But then I'll come back with things that move and wiggle and maybe even a moth trap. Seems a reasonable compromise! Do the BC/UK Butterflies have a stand there?
Hi Mark - Kempton Park has a railway station dedicated to it - it takes 44 minutes direct from Waterloo.

BC has a stand there. UKB hasn't had one to date - but it's certainly a thought ... although we'd need to figure out what we'd have on the stand and what its purpose would be (other than to promote the website itself!). And having a stand (and all of the paraphernalia that goes with it) costs money :(

Cheers,

- Pete
Susie

Post by Susie »

NickB wrote:
bugmadmark wrote: Letting my good lady out in london with a credit card is a dangerous move I know - and she'll definately come back with some new shoes.
Apparently, they can never have enough shoes...!
Blokes, generally, seem to get by with only a couple of pairs....
N

Hmmm, bugs or shoes, tough call.... not!

BUGS EVERY TIME!!! :mrgreen:

Mind you, I am partial to a nice pair of boots ..

Return to “General”