'Vagrant' - Favourite Photo of 2022

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 20

This is the ideal space to post some shots for our overseas contributors and also for those lucky enough to catch up the brave/foolish butterflies that cross the seas to our Isles less frequently. :D

As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: 'Vagrant' - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by bugboy »

Well since the LTB can now no longer realistically be called a vagrant, that leaves me with just one species to choose from. I managed to somehow choose one of the worst days weather wise during their flight to go hunting for a QoS and it took a few hours of wandering around a field under mostly grey skies and sharp showers before I disturbed one, but after just a few snaps he gave me the slip.
Queen of Spain Fritillary male, Walmer #1.JPG
a few hours later a fellow enthusiast managed to relocate him and this time we followed him to his roosting spot where many more pictures were taken!
Queen of Spain Fritillary male, Walmer #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Classic Queen of Spain shots, Buggy!

I don't think anyone saw short-tailed blue in the UK last year (correct me if I'm wrong!), so here is a female from Switzerland I was happy to photograph laying a precious egg:

For completeness, here's the egg:

That was on 11th September, shortly after my return to the country.

There's no doubt in my mind this species has expanded in Switzerland over the last decade or two. If enough reached the UK one summer, could it survive? Maybe.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

I managed to get down to the same field in East Kent as Bugboy where the Queens had been putting on a good sow for several days. The sun was initially reluctant to appear, but a roosting newly-hatched female had been located shortly before I arrived. Much was made by those present, with excellent views of the glorious underside.
QoS1 250922.JPG
Once the sun decided to come out rather more, others of the species emerged from hiding and a bit of careful repositioning of one butterfly by a fellow enthusiast resulted in this felicitous juxtaposition of male and female.
QoS pair4.JPG
I was also able to add a shot to my collection of fritillary "stained-glass" back-lit examples.
QoS2 250922.JPG
25th September was another memorable day out. :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Padfield wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:30 pm Classic Queen of Spain shots, Buggy!

I don't think anyone saw short-tailed blue in the UK last year (correct me if I'm wrong!),

Guy
I did hear a rumour of one sighting but it was on private land (don't ask me for a more accurate location, that is literally all I know)

they would certainly be a nice addition to our fauna though if they were able to establish themselves.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:30 pmThere's no doubt in my mind this species has expanded in Switzerland over the last decade or two. If enough reached the UK one summer, could it survive? Maybe.
It'd be nice were that to happen, Guy. They don't seem to ask for a lot - when I see them they're often at the edges of arable fields or in allotments/gardens.

Return to “Photography”