Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

So the weather remains cold – but hopefully this will yield positive results in terms of butterfly number when the season starts! To be honest it would be nice not to have to put on 15 layers before venturing out of the house! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Bertl

Re: Small Heath - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by Bertl »

Seen very few small heath in 2022. Managed an unobstructed photo of this one on 27th June at grantown on spey.
Attachments
DSC_8853.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw the Small Heath at Seasalter on the 2nd of June, I was pleased to see it not having seen it for a couple of years, hope fully I'll see them in better conditions this year they were hiding it seemed most of the time because of the heat :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6386 (1).jpeg
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

D4A61800-3836-449B-9EE7-6276F333B3B5.jpeg
A small Heath from Sardinia this summer. Always amazed by the regional variations
millerd

Post by millerd »

Reasonable numbers as ever from my local patch before the heat kicked in. I find them not that difficult to approach if I wait until they land in an unobscured grass-free spot.
SH1 040722.JPG
SH1 080622.JPG
SH2 130622.JPG
However, I also amused myself trying to get inflight open-wing shots of some of the fresher ones as they wheeled around me.
male
male
female
female
It is possible to work out the sex of these flying individuals because of the marked difference in abdomen shape.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Bertl wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:01 pmSeen very few small heath in 2022. Managed an unobstructed photo of this one on 27th June at grantown on spey.
Lovely image, Bertl. It's not often they pose so accommodatingly like that.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

My favourite 2022 Small Heath photo is one of the first that I took of this species when I found a few flying at Sheldon Country Park near Birmingham airport in mid June.
Small Heath - Sheldon Country Park 15.06.2022
Small Heath - Sheldon Country Park 15.06.2022
After that I saw them at many other places that I visited although they didn't seem to have a particularly good year around my patch.

Cheers,

Neil
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Small Heath did pretty well locally ,particularly on my old lockdown walk and in Orlestone , although they were well down at another hotspot .............Dungeness. I don,t normally take too many shots of them ,but did take more than usual this year ,these are my favourites.
Allan.W.
P1150013.JPG
P1160697.JPG
P1150146 (2).JPG
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Andy02 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm A small Heath from Sardinia this summer. Always amazed by the regional variations
This is form/subspecies/species lyllus. Its taxonomic status is very confused but morphologically it is quite distinct, in the summer broods at least.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

Padfield wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 pm
Andy02 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:46 pm A small Heath from Sardinia this summer. Always amazed by the regional variations
This is form/subspecies/species lyllus. Its taxonomic status is very confused but morphologically it is quite distinct, in the summer broods at least.

Guy
Thanks for the information Guy
David M

Post by David M »

Saw my first handful at Whiteford Burrows on the NW Gower coast on 8th May. Here's one of them:
8.SmHth(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A lovely backlit mating pair made a nice distraction on one of my many LTB hunts late last year :)
Small Heath mating, Whitehawk Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Heath

Both of my Favourite Shots for this species (I couldn’t decide between the two) came from Shipton Bellinger during Brostreak hunts. The first was early in August when the heat was really on! It was broiling and the path were bone dry, dusty and in places baked solid –it was like walking over fired pottery! In previous years when the temperatures have been on the warm side I’ve noticed that Small Heath will occasionally flick their wings open as they feed and I managed to find another example. Whether they’re trying to remove dust particles that are caught between their wings, wafting a breeze over their thorax to cool themselves or for some other as yet undiscovered reason it’s definitely something to look out for. Unfortunately this one was a little too far away and flicking a little too quickly for my Autofocus and Sports mode but it’s one of the better shots of this type that I’ve gotten hence its inclusion.
4b SH 10-08-2022 11.JPG
The second came a few weeks later from along the main hedge. I’ve always had an eye for spotting variation in spotting in general. Over the years I’ve seen almost the whole spectrum from blind to eyes all over the place but this one was the first that I’ve seen with only ‘pupil’s staring out like little studs from the hind wings.
5 SH 29-07-2022 27.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

I took lots of photos of Small Heath in 2022 but this is the one I just have to include, as it is so rare to see this species with wings fully open. Even better that it was photographed in our butterfly garden, finally making a comeback after a ten year hiatus.
Rare shot of Small Heath open-winged.JPG
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

My favourite Small Heath photo from last year was taken on Lincoln's south common towards the end of August - a minor aberration, ab.biocellata - reasonably fresh and nicely marked.
Small Heath ab biocellata.JPG
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The first time I have ever managed to take photos of Small Heath I am happy with - three photos of the same insect (with two different cameras). Marcilhac-sur-Célé, Lot, France, 18 September 2022.
P9180240.jpg
P1010636.jpg
P1010637.jpg

Return to “Small Heath”