Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 17

Where has the time gone! It seems like only yesterday that I was starting out with the 2022 Favourite threads and nowhere we are into February with the end in sight! I know it's a bit early this week but I'm out over the usual time :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by millerd »

I managed to see this species in two spots in 2022, several hundred miles and nearly two months apart. Firstly there were a handful of fresh ones down at Park Corner Heath in Sussex on 18th May...
SPBF12 180522.JPG
...and then one or two worn examples up at Fen Bog on the North York Moors on 8th July.
SPBF1 080722.JPG
Quite a contrast in habitat!

Dave
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I was visiting a site on the Cornish cliffs where I had previously seen a few of this species but found very little of anything on the wing. I decided to check out an adjacent gully on the off chance and hit the jackpot. For about an hour, I watched maybe 50 individuals in a steep gully only 50 m long and 30 m at its widest. Never have I seen them in such numbers, I hope to check it out again in 2023. Apologies for multiple “favourite” photograph.
Attachments
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Cornwall, 10 May
David M

Post by David M »

That penultimate individual is a really interesting one, Wolfson.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

David M wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:21 pm That penultimate individual is a really interesting one, Wolfson.
Agreed, it caught my eye
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Visited my favourite haunt at Cambus o may on Deeside on 15th June to see the SPBF. Best photos attached.
Attachments
DSC_4541 (1).jpeg
DSC_4543 (1).jpeg
DSC_4905 22.42.32.jpeg
DSC_5015 22.42.17.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

After going extinct (again) at Abbots Wood, Park Corner Heath was the next closest place to find them. I was lucky enough to find this female shortly after arriving.
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary female, Park Corner Heath.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Meant to add some photos from my trip to Grantown on 27th June.
Attachments
DSC_8617.jpeg
DSC_8525.jpeg
DSC_8953.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary

With the Small Pearls effectively gone from Bentley Wood (I still live in hope that they’ll crop up one years having been hiding away in a clearing elsewhere in the wood) I had to actually travel to see them this year and so I found myself venturing to Priddy Pools. The trip proved to be very worthwhile as there were several flying around a small hill which appeared to be the local hot spot and so I was in a the brilliant position of struggling to choose my Favourite shot which made a very welcome change. In the end I couldn’t decide between two so I chose them both…

The first was in celebration of the trip and the fact that there were Small Pearls in number as it had two in one frame – it’s been years (if ever) since I’ve seen this at Bentley Wood!
3 SPBF 02-06-2022.JPG
The second – well as most people know I do like a stained glass shot and a close up and this shot has both.
6 SPBF 02-06-2022 4.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nothing special about the quality of this image, but its provenance made it abnormally worthy - a first sighting of this species at a site I have visited for over a decade to see its close relative, Pearl Bordered Fritillary: Ewyas Harold Common, near Pontrilas, Herefordshire, on 14th May:
14b.SPBFuns2(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Priddy Mineries, Somerset - probably the best site in the county for this butterfly. 11 June 2022.
P6110050.jpg

Return to “Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary”