Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

From incessant rain to freezing temperatures; roll on spring! And whilst we wait let the sights from the 2022 season warm the cockles. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Silver-studded Blue - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by millerd »

I managed to see this species at all four of the spots I normally visit for them, Surrey being blessed with several suitable areas of lowland heath. My favourite butterfly was seen at Thursley Common, as usual close to the weather station on a warm and fairly sunny 4th June. I can't decide between two shots of the one butterfly, so here are both - it was unusually marked with broader-than-normal dark borders, especially on the hindwings.
SSB6 040622.JPG
SSB14 040622.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I didn't see many last year. On my first attempt to find them I found just a single male at Faimile Common on the 8th June, quite prominantly studded though
Silver-studded Blue male, Fairmile Common.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The only time that I saw Silver-studded Blues in 2022 was when we were visiting our daughter in Emsworth in early June and I took a drive up to Chapel Common to see these. A cloudy morning gradually brightened up and I ended up seeing a couple of dozen fresh males and just one female indicating that it was still early in their flight period.
Silver-studded Blue - Chapel Common 06.06.2022
Silver-studded Blue female - Chapel Common 06.06.2022
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-studded Blue

Slop Bog was going great guns again this year. I had been a bit apprehensive on the drive over as I was continuing on from an unsuccessful DGF hunt at Martin Down and I was worried that perhaps it was too early for the Silver Studs too. However I needn’t have worried as there were little blue puffs erupting from the heather as far as the eye could see. From the many, many photos that I took this was my overall favourite as it a little of everything about it – open wing and underwing visible, very fetching fresh livery, almost right up in its grill and to cap it all I was back on home turf enjoying the scratching sound of heather against my jeans!
1 SSB 11-06-2022 26 cover a.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't get chance to see them in the UK in 2022, but there were plenty around in the Alps in late June and early July:
2.FrSSB(1).jpg

Return to “Silver-studded Blue”