Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

It’s that time of year again…Happy Christmas or Seasons Greetings whichever you prefer! :wink: :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Marsh Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by millerd »

In past years, I have usually visited Cotley Hill for my annual dip into the Marshy pool. :) However, this year I had arranged to meet up with Wurzel on 14th May at a different site, one I'd not been to before: Sidbury Hill. However, the day before this I was up on the Chilterns at Steps Hill near Ivinghoe, testing out my recently-healed scalded foot on some steep slopes. Here I encountered a fresh Marsh Fritillary down in the grass - sheltering from the wind and the aggressive attentions of male Dukes.
MF1 130522.JPG
It was just the one though, and during an overall excellent day at Sidbury they proved more plentiful.
MF6 140522.JPG
MFx3 2a 140522.JPG
Curiously, I was to see them again rather unexpectedly at Hutchinsons Bank a few days later - surely an introduction as the nearest colony must be many miles away.
MF4 220522.JPG
Dave
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

The Marsh fritillary was a first for me in 2022. I decided to visit a recommended site in Port appin. There were around 8 to 10 on the wing. These are the best photos.
Attachments
DSC_2278.jpeg
DSC_2285.jpeg
DSC_2299.jpeg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A good year here for Marsh Fritillaries. My favourite photo being this one from Beacon Hill, Wiltshire
7th May
7th May
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The colony of 'unknown origin' in the Chiltons gave me my fix this year, albeit in single figures, here's one of the males giving me a couple of nice poses.
Marsh Fritillary male, Ivinghoe Beacon #1.JPG
Marsh Fritillary male, Ivinghoe Beacon #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Marsh Fritillary

I had another good year with Marsh Frits seeing them at four different sites – one of which was an unexpected locale and something I’ll be looking out for in seasons to come. As I saw so many there was a vast array of shots I needed to look through and whittling them down to a single one was a very hard task. I got as far as four or five and then when looking though two choices became firm favourites and I couldn’t go any further.

The first came from a splendid day when I acted as a guide for Dave at Sidbury Hill also known as my Duke Site. Over the course of a day we saw pretty much all of the species normally encountered on Downland in early spring. The reason this was my favourite was that it was perched delicately on a Dandelion clock and so made a welcome addition to one of my collections.
2 MF 14-05-2022 43.JPG
The second came from a quick trip to the Hill on my way back from Priddy Pools. In previous years I’ve chosen individuals with a huge variation in the hues and tones of their livery ranging from browns and blacks through to yellows, creams, whites, oranges and reds. However this individual stood out for the opposite reason – it was almost two tone, orange and brown and something I’ve not really seen before.
8a MF 02-06-2022 40.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Had a short window to observe my local populations in late May and early June:
22.MFr1(1).jpg
24.MarshFruns(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Wurzel - if you're lucky, you can sometimes see Marsh Fritillary at Priddy, though I'm not sure the butterflies there are truly of wild origin. SPBF also flies there around the same time.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers for the info Matsukaze :D I was at Priddy specifically for the Small Torts and after scraping one or two from Bentley Wood it was great to see so many on a visit 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

There were so many Marsh Fritillaries about at Little Scrubbs Meadow, Lincolnshire when I visited on the 19th May, that it was difficult choosing a couple for this, but I have eventually plumped for these two.
DSC02052 (2).JPG
DSC02046 (2).JPG

Return to “Marsh Fritillary”