What do butterfly enthusiasts do during the winter months?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
KeynvorLogosenn

Re: What do butterfly enthusiasts do during the winter months?

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

I know my stuff :wink:

(and no Mark, I didn't wiki it :lol: only teasing ya :lol: )
eccles

Post by eccles »

All objects possess a certain amount of gravity, even people, although the amount that we possess is quite a lot less than the earth. But it's kind of neat to think that whenever we jump, the earth moves away from us a tiny bit, and when we fall the earth moves towards us by the same amount. Imagine if everyone in the UK jumped at the same time, then as we were all falling back everyone in Australia jumped together. I wonder if someone in the USA could measure it and wonder what was going on?
A lack of butterflies does this to a person. It could get really bad by Spring. :shock:
KeynvorLogosenn

:lol: In my physics lessons, we have always asked the question 'what if... people jumped?'. Never got to a difinitve answer though..
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Good question and good answers (I'm allowed to say that because I'm a physics teacher :D ). It's worth adding, so bugmadmark's son gets the full picture, that all our planets were fluid during the period of their formation (and some of them - the gas giants - still are). Awareness of this makes it easier to understand how gravity could fashion them so perfectly, and also how it came about that the densest materials were able to migrate to the centre of the planets. The moon probably formed later than earth, unlike many moons and their planets, but if so would nevertheless have been thrown out as a molten jet and reached its shape while cooling down.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
eccles

Post by eccles »

Even if the earth was square it would eventually subside into an approximate sphere simply because of the gravitational pressures involved, and the fact that it is still fluid now, although it flows rather more slowly than it did when it was completely molten. Plate tectonics, where continental plates rest on beds of magma, are pushing the southern tip of India northwards by around 10cm per year. It doesn't sound like much but it was enough over millions of years to create the Himalayas and Mount Everest, totally transforming the world's geography and its weather. It is this continual pressure that keeps Everest as tall as it is, and it is still getting taller. But if it stopped then the Tibetan Plateau and the Himalayas would begin very slowly to slump back towards the spherical shape again.
Closer to home, parts of Scotland are still rising following the released pressure by melting of huge icesheets that ended the last glacial period some 10,000 years ago.
Our planet is still very much on the move!
KeynvorLogosenn

Ooooh moving into Geography now :mrgreen:

I know all about Plate Teconics, as I have got close to volcanoes and walked the rift valley in Iceland. The Rift Valley is where the american and Eurasian Plate pull apart.
Iceland 026(2).JPG
Iceland 026(2).JPG (49.04 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
But the Geysers were just the best!
Iceland 070.JPG
Iceland 070.JPG (23.42 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Amazing Country, learnt lots there about plate teconics :D
JKT

Post by JKT »

mouse wrote:I know all about Plate Teconics,
You may want to rephrase that. :D
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Phew.....

I've just read this lot and I'm amazed at the knowledge amassed but some.

Not wishing to upset those currently focussed on space and planet origins and in the danger of appearing a complete saddo - - and you know what my dearest says 'if it's not butterflies it's steam trains or castles and their history - your obsessed'
Well here's my winter photographic exploits. Thanks Susie for the title.

Guy - if you get to read this whereabouts in Oxford did you reside..... I was there from '85 - '96

Mike
Attachments
Castles and Steam trains on this visit....
Castles and Steam trains on this visit....
Corfe3-1.JPG (207.65 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
On a crisp winters morning just outside Bradford-on-Avon - near a great cafe but don't order the cake and remember Never eat more than you can lift.
On a crisp winters morning just outside Bradford-on-Avon - near a great cafe but don't order the cake and remember Never eat more than you can lift.
60009.AvonCliff.12.07.1-1.jpg (204.94 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
NickB

Post by NickB »

mouse wrote:Ooooh moving into Geography now :mrgreen:

I know all about Plate Teconics, as I have got close to volcanoes and walked the rift valley in Iceland. The Rift Valley is where the american and Eurasian Plate pull apart.
Amazing Country, learnt lots there about plate teconics :D
Hi Mouse
Yes - I have walked that very rift (and still have some pictures from 1976 which sort-of gives away my (old) age). And it is amazing!
In fact, when you were there it was probably a few centimetres wider than when I visited!
As a geographer, I used to bore my companions with, "wow, look at that roche moutonée", and similar exclamations, all of which contributed to my Anorak award :D
N
PS Mike - I too seem to find myself where there are steam trains on my holidays and butterfly trips around the UK. Corfe is fantastic (and of course there is the railway down to Swanage) and the butterflies in Spring & Summer are also fantastic. I also seem to gravitate to Sheringham in Norfolk when we go out there! Same thing happened when I went to Yorkshire - the steam train from Pickering to Grosmore goes through prime Large Heath and SPBF and PBF and DGF country too across the N Yorks Moors! (Well, I enjoyed it; my brother's kids seemed less enthused!)
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

wavelea1 wrote:Guy - if you get to read this whereabouts in Oxford did you reside..... I was there from '85 - '96
I lived in Albert Street, near my college, Oriel, for a year (1987, nearest pub, the Bear), then moved out to Old Iffley, where the college has graduate lodgings (nearest pub, the Prince of Wales, and just a short cycle ride to the Isis Tavern). For some years afterwards I used to go back and run language schools in the summer, in Headington.

My regular butterfly haunts were Shabingdon and Waterperry (remains of Bernwood forest, as I'm sure you know) and Otmoor. Port Meadow was good for birds in winter. I most recently went back in June 2006 for an IB conference and had a glorious time cycling around all the villages, drinking real ale and tracking down black hairstreaks and purple emperors. It's a really beautiful part of the world.

Purple emperor, June 2006, near Oxford:

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
KeynvorLogosenn

Hey everyone!

Mike have you ever been to Castle Acre near Swaffham? When ever we go up to visit relatives, I always ask to go to the Castle there :mrgreen: I think it's a Norman one. I remember the last time I went :oops: fell of the bridge and into the moat :roll: fortunatly or unfortunatly there was no water in the bottom, and I remember having to climb back up the steep sides to my family laughing at me :lol: Good times.
Still han't stopped me from wondering around castles!

Same Nick! I always bore my parents with things like that! And science as well, and maths things sometimes, and whats even better is when I talk to them in German (or Icelandic) :lol: It's great :D Although sometimes I can talk to my Dad about Physics, but that's about it :)
My Brother thinks I am a "complete nutter" that a) I like Geography b) and Mathmatics c) I like Physics + other sciences d) read about science and star gaze (anyway) e) can remember the info I just learnt/read f) spend my spare time chsing butterflies etc g) Run and h) Dislikes Halo 3 etc
Have any of you guys been considered weird by a relative?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Guy,
"cycling around all the villages, drinking real ale and tracking down black hairstreaks and purple emperors" - LOVE IT! :D That PE shot is simply stunning.
Neil
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

OK - now i feel well left out! Is there anything anyone here doesnt know about? PS - We seem to have gone from butterflies to Britains mammals, to astrophysics, physical geography, and now steam trains - I wonder what I can contribute. I'm a cell & molecular biologist and currently a laboratory Health & Safety Manager - thats it H&S - I said it! Risk Assessments, COSHH, DSEAR, WRULDs, RSI, CDMs, HSE, MSDs, ACGM, ACDPs - Acronyms - don't you just love em. Ooopps sorry - please don't stone me!

Thanks for the explaination on planet shape. Now I've to explain gravity to Jack now. Where did I put my apple? Not got any - will can of cider work? Arghhhh lovely - slips down a treat - gravity - a marvell!

Guy - fancy explaining the Hadron thingy (or lack of it?). Everyone said - oh the black hole never worked. How do they know? Perhaps it did and we were all sucked into it and spewed out of the other side - into some kinds of parallel world. They did it on Dr Who recently with Rose Tyler so it must be true :?:
KeynvorLogosenn

I think they were just testing it when they fired it up. Seeing how fast they could get the atoms to travel. But I think it's out of action due to a gas leak at the moment.
Where's Guy when you need him :lol:
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

bugmadmark wrote:Guy - fancy explaining the Hadron thingy (or lack of it?).
If you've got half an hour to spare, this is what I fobbed the kids off with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fJ6PMfnz2E. It's about a year out of date because the project got about a year behind schedule, but the essentials haven't changed.
bugmadmark wrote:Everyone said - oh the black hole never worked. How do they know? Perhaps it did and we were all sucked into it and spewed out of the other side - into some kinds of parallel world. They did it on Dr Who recently with Rose Tyler so it must be true :?:
Now I'm beginning to understand how 'Elf 'n' Safety reach some of their bizarre conclusions!! :D

Guy
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Life would be oh so boring with out us H&S folk - it gives you all something to moan about over coffee. Oh and because us folk seem to get such a bad reputation it's worth checking out this link which aims to put the record straight

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

:D
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

and on and on......

Guy .... I lived in Headington and Bernwood was my intro to Butterfly photography in the mid 80s. I occasionally used to lecture in Engineering at Oxford Brookes. Smashing area of the country and I too cycled all over - main haunts were the Trout and the Perch. Met and worked with Colin Dexter (Morse Author) and indeed met John Thaw on one episode - great days.

Em - yes I have visited Castle Acre - castle and priory and indeed many other relics in Norfolk and Suffolk. Smashing little village with a couple of nice pubs and cafes I recall. Norfolk has become my second home over the last 20 years. Do you know it well?

Finally I was a Civil Engineer by trade and 'elf and bl****dy safety was the bain of my life but some fo the the stupid antics contractors would think was safe on building sites never failed to amaze me so I guess there was a need..... I'm not letting on as to the actual branch on Engineering that I was involved in else we'll need another site??? Teaching music now and it is far more rewarding. Rock on

Mike
KeynvorLogosenn

wavelea1 wrote: Em - yes I have visited Castle Acre - castle and priory and indeed many other relics in Norfolk and Suffolk. Smashing little village with a couple of nice pubs and cafes I recall. Norfolk has become my second home over the last 20 years. Do you know it well?
Indeed, I have a few relatives up there. But I always love going to Castle Acre, my great Aunt and Uncle live there. Lovely, beautiful village. Do I know castle acre well? Down to the last pot hole, mainly because tripped in it :lol: Now thats not good health and saftey is it :lol: !

I like Sheringham (spelling) as well, I like walking along the sea front and let the wind batter me. 'clears the cob webs' as mum says. I always find it really relaxing and calming resting my arms up on the barrier that stops people falling onto the beach and staring out at the grey sea, hear the sea and feel the wind and think. I always do that when I am at the coast.

I wouldn't know about the pubs, but the ice-cream is great :wink:

What about the Norfolk accent Mike? My relatives have a real strong one, so when I am up there, I come back and go to school and get laughed at for the Norfolk accent I have! :lol: It's one of the few accents I just pick up.

Em
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

wavelea1 wrote:Finally I was a Civil Engineer by trade and 'elf and bl****dy safety was the bain of my life but some fo the the stupid antics contractors would think was safe on building sites never failed to amaze me so I guess there was a need..... I'm not letting on as to the actual branch on Engineering that I was involved in else we'll need another site??? Teaching music now and it is far more rewarding. Rock on

Mike

Hmmm - Thats why I'm in lab H&S and not construction - mind you you should see what some of the academics get upto - there's no telling them ;-).

As for Norfolk - it was my first home - I was born at the old Norfolk and Norwich. I lived in East Dereham till my parents moved us out in the 80's. I lost my very broad accent after a foo yers but ayll tell ya oy mess et a lart. Thankfully - moy famlee still live ther un moy sester levs en Sharringam tew. You can take the boy out of Norfolk, but you cant take Norfolk out of the boy. North Norfolk - you just cant beat it. :lol:
KeynvorLogosenn

Nice Accent Mark, can really hear it!

I have been through East Dereham, but we head for a little village instead :lol: , but I know where you mean :D
There is something I will be doing over winter, going to Norfolk :mrgreen:

Em

Return to “General”