Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 10

It’s that time of year again…Happy Christmas or Seasons Greetings whichever you prefer! :wink: :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Marbled White - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by millerd »

All my favourite shots in 2022 were from my local patch, where they are steadily increasing in numbers by ones and twos year on year. They first appeared on 12th June here this year, and there were three in a small area. Like their satyrid relatives, they are all subtly different one from t'other - here are two of them.
MW4 120622.JPG
MW8 120622.JPG
These earlier examples were all males, but a week later I found one of each sex in the same spot - hopefully they managed to encounter each other.
MW1 190622.JPG
MW2 190622.JPG
Dave
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Unable to select from several, sorry. I encountered a freshly emerged female being courted by two males. She also had to contend with a couple of ants, one had a firm grip on her proboscis! Shortly afterwards, I took a “head on” photograph of another female who appears to have an egg attached.
Attachments
Marbled White, Hertfordshire, 17 June
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

My favourite Marbled White photograph is of this male. Whilst this species abounds on the downs, it is always nice to come across a small colony in a Wealden wood.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Marbled White (m) 25.6.2022  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp0001.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I really left it too late to get shots this year, I'd so much going on with moving, so when I finally got to Temple Ewell I was pleased to find there was still a few flying, trouble was trying to get shots :D this was in late July. not one landed long enough to settle for an open shot and the one's I did get had damage to the wings, still at least I saw them :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7177.jpeg
IMG_7134.jpeg
IMG_7128.jpeg
IMG_7104.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My best encounter with these was a late visit to Box Hill, initially to get some DGF but they were still bombing around like lunatics. I found loads settling down for the night, catching the dying rays and squabbling over roosting spots.
Marbled White male, Box Hill #1.JPG
Marbled White male, Box Hill #2.JPG
Marbled White male, Box Hill #3.JPG
Marbled White male, Box Hill #4.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Marbled Whites seemed to come and go quite quickly around my local spots last year and were most numerous in early July. A couple of weeks later they had disappeared again.
My favourite shots were taken at Blythe Valley on a day that started off dull and cloudy but gradually brightened up through the morning.
Marbled White - Bickenhill 06.07.2022
Marbled White pair - Bickenhill 06.07.2022
Marbled White pair - Bickenhill 06.07.2022
Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Marbled White

This particular shots was taken on a quick afternoon stop-off at the Devenish. The heat was starting to build across the country and the butterflies during my lunch time walks were very active or hiding away in the shade but despite the temperatures still remaining at their sweltering heights come the afternoon the butterflies tended to come out a little more. A case in point were the Marbled Whites which took great delight in covering any purple flower heads in the vicinity. I chose this particular individual as the blue pupils on the marginal spots show up so nicely.
5 MW 14-06-2022 9 cover.JPG

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Only saw fresh ones once in the UK, at Whiteford Burrows, Gower, on 14th June:
A.1406MW(1).jpg
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

This is the one for me, basking amongst the various grasses. taken on the 13th June at Bloody Oaks Quarry in Rutland, where they flew amongst equal numbers of Dark Green Fritillary.
DSC03683 (2).JPG
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

this is from the Sundon area on June 17th
52153073463_1f8b318cfb_c.jpg

Return to “Marbled White”