Large Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Large Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by Wurzel »

Large Heath - Favourite Photo of 2022

Week 9

Fingers crossed the recent cold snap will have knocked various parasitoids on the head so there will be one less pressure on the butterflies next year. While we wait we can always slect6 our favourites…speaking of which if you haven’t already it might be a good idea to think about your overall favourite now so that you don’t ‘use it up’ in the species specific threads…

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Large Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by millerd »

Though the species pops up in lots of places I go each year, I have a soft spot for those that appear on my local patch. Though they are never numerous, they are always to be found along the same stretch of path and have a great time chasing the hutchinsoni Commas that emerge around the same time. Something to look back/forward to from this exactly opposite time of year. Here are a few favourites.
A classic pose - 3rd June
A classic pose - 3rd June
A perfect male - 3rd June
A perfect male - 3rd June
Lying in wait along that favoured path -13th June
Lying in wait along that favoured path -13th June
Refreshment stop, but still alert - 13th June
Refreshment stop, but still alert - 13th June
A perfect female - 6th July
A perfect female - 6th July
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw the Large Skipper in Blean Woods on the 25th June whilst I was looking for the Heath Fritillary I only managed a couple of shots before it flew off,

then my attention turned , when I saw the Heath Fritillary :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6958.jpeg
IMG_6961.jpeg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

There is a strong population of Large Skipper in my “meadow “ (abandoned paddock). They often spill over into the garden and feed on the ornamental plants. The photograph I have selected is a somewhat psychedelic example.
Attachments
Large Skipper, 1 June, Cambridgeshire
Large Skipper, 1 June, Cambridgeshire
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

A luscious female in perfect light at the end of June
Large Skipper female, Epping Forest.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

I could watch Large Skippers all day! Fascinating butterflies. Of the wealth of photos I took of them this year, I've narrowed it down to these three, all taken in our Lincolnshire butterfly garden:
1. A male living dangerously!
DSC03246 (3).JPG
2.A female feeding from crosswort.
DSC04226 (2).JPG
3. A Female feeding from bird's-foot trefoil.
DSC04236 (2).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

First I saw in the UK were on 14th June, locally on Fairwood Common:
B.1406LgeSkmale(1).jpg
B.1406LgeSkfem(1).jpg
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

My favourites are this Male Large Skipper seen in our garden meadow area on 1st June 2022.

P1400457Resize.JPG

and this amazingly late male seen nectaring on Phlox flowers outside our front door on 17th September 2022?

P1420350Resize.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:20 pm...and this amazingly late male seen nectaring on Phlox flowers outside our front door on 17th September 2022?
:shock: Does this species have a second brood??
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Large Skippers were seen in good numbers at my usual local spots but they seemed to have a fairly short flight season in 2022, no doubt due to the hot and dry summer we had.
I took quite a few photos, mostly in the usual basking pose on a leaf, but my favourite is this one taken at Sheldon Country Park to the side of Birmingham Airport in mid June.
Large Skipper - Sheldon County Park 15.06.2022
Large Skipper - Sheldon County Park 15.06.2022
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Large Skipper

This was taken at Martin Down back at the beginning of June. I was hoping to add DGF to the years tally but they were having a bit of a lie-in at Martin Down this year and so despite checking out plenty of likely looking spots and covering plenty of miles I drew a blank. However the time wasn’t wasted as I found a great selection of Orchids (Fragrant, Burnt-tip and Common Spotted including the all-white variety) a large group of Med Gulls and the star of the morning this rather tired looking Large Skipper on an Orchid – always a winning combination.
4 LS 11-06-2022a 9.JPG
I couldn’t help myself but choose two Large Skippers…I’d was doing a bit of sorting out and this image popped up on my screen. I’d forgotten about it despite thinking at the time it was taken that it would make an excellent addition to the Favourites collection. The reason I like it so much is that it reminds of the broiling heat at Daneways whilst looking for Large Blues. I was coming down the track from the top field and this little chap stopped by as I clung to the side of the hill. It was the most accommodating butterfly of the trip and so won a place in my heart.
8 LS 21-06-2022 14.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Large Skipper”