Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Katrina

Post by trevor »

Lovely seasonal shot of the Robin.
Guessing you're in Scotland? Have a great time.

Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

No Trevor, I was at Pulborough Brooks, Have seen reports for a while.
Not very often I suppose you walk into a hide and says have you seen anything interesting and get pointed in the direction of two Sea Eagles.
Thanks bugboy!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Katrina :D :mrgreen: I take it these are Isle of Wight birds? One of the last ones I saw was in Poland, sitting on a cows rump with a hungry yet patient look and waiting for it's bearer to shuffle off it's mortal coil :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, I imagine they are Isle of Wight birds but don't know for sure
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely little Long Tailed Blue Katrina, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've seen some more photos and vids of those Eagles on facebook. Looks like fish had been put out for them, at least dead fish were apparently lying on the ice.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Katrina wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:47 pm...I was at Pulborough Brooks..
It was quite a shock to see those eagles on your PD, Katrina, especially since you followed it up with the above location - meant nothing to me. However, a bit of researching gave me the education I needed; a reintroduction scheme that began 3 years ago:

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/pe ... gh-3599755

Must have been an amazing sight to see these huge birds on the frozen water. :mrgreen:
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Hi Paul, I did overhear someone saying he saw them fishing so they may have caught their own. On the other hand overhearing isn’t proof.
Some one who presumably wasn’t there with a macro lens has posted a great video of them on the ice on Pulborough Brooks twitter if you scroll back a few posts.
Will take a bit of getting used to David .There was a red kite half heartedly trying to annoy them too.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Just avoid any newly fledged chicks Katrina. Don't want one of them flying low over your head, their talons are significantly larger and more powerful than the Red Kite!
Katrina

The Dingy Double

Post by Katrina »

Mid afternoon I went to Devils Dyke and saw 3 Green Hairstreaks , a Brimstone, some Peacocks and I think a Speckled Wood.
I went on to Mill Hill where I found 2 roosting Dingy Skippers and it was a pleasure to bump into Jonathan
Attachments
DSC02106.jpeg
DSC02111.jpeg
DSC02124.jpeg
Last edited by Katrina on Mon May 01, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Love that last shot of the Dingy, Katrina. SO characteristic. :mrgreen:
millerd

Post by millerd »

A lovely fresh Dingy Skipper, Katrina, which deserves a :mrgreen: . Seeing them without seeing Grizzlies first seems all wrong somehow - what a strange season it's been so far. :? :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Excellent shot of the roosting Dingy twins, they blend in nicely with the teasels.

Great stuff!
Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks David, definitely typical pose both.
Thanks Dave it has been a strange season, I hope the Grizzlies are going to be OK and appear soon.
Thanks Trevor maybe they should be the Dingy Double or the Teasel twins. I think I will change the title of the post.
PS if you are going yesterday they had closed the slip road off the A27 from the East I had to drive to Lancing and go round the roundabout to get there.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant shot of the Dingy Skipper Katrina 8) :mrgreen: Did you see it flying to the Teasel or did you go looking for them roosting - if the later have a few more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: as I can't seem to get my eye in when looking for them like that :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thank you Wurzel looked for roosting. Went back this evening and most of the teasel is now at a 30 degrees angle to the ground not sure why. Saw 2 flying but nil roosting tonight. On the plus side I saw a dotted beefly
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well that's Mill Hill back on my radar after an unusually quiet start to the season there. Great shots :)
Katrina

Dotted Bee fly

Post by Katrina »

from today Mill Hill
Attachments
Dotted Bee fly.jpeg
Katrina

Kithurst Kicks

Post by Katrina »

Having seen a report of a D.O.B. out at Kithurst yesterday I decided that was the destination for me today.
Shortly after I arrived Bugboy arrived and a little later Neil H arrived on site.
The star of the show today was Green Hairstreaks although my camera decided to refuse to focus at the wrong moment (perfect GHS in perfect light.) Hopefully Bugboy or Neil will post a photo of it.
I saw 7 Green Hairstreaks in total. We saw a handful of Duke of Burgundys , 2 Grizzled Skippers, some Brimstones, Holly Blues, Orange Tips, Peacocks , a Speckled Wood and a GV White.
It was also a pleasure to speak to other butterfly enthusiasts - good day all round.
Attachments
GHS leaf.jpeg
GHS.jpeg
dob.jpeg

Return to “Personal Diaries”