Costa Rica November 2022

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
petesmith

Costa Rica November 2022

Post by petesmith »

PART ONE
Some places are worth revisiting. Over the years, my travels to Europe in pursuit of butterflies have taken me to more and more new locations, as I have tried to connect with new species that I have not previously seen. Even so, I have tended to return to certain places more than once (and sometimes on numerous occasions), drawn back usually by the exceptional nature of the habitat quality or previous experiences of particularly rich butterfly populations. Examples of such places spring readily to mind, including Rimplas in the Maritime Alps of France, the Queyras Regional Natural Park, the Picos de Europa in Northern Spain, and the Mani Peninsula, Greece.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I set off on what was our third trip to Costa Rica. We first travelled here back in mid-December 2018, at the start of the dry season, choosing a remote hotel on the north-west coast as our base, not far from the Nicaraguan border. It was our first journey out of Europe – we had no idea what to expect, or exactly where and when to go (we had considered Cuba, Sri Lanka, and even Malaysia as possible destinations for a “once in a lifetime” vacation), but we rapidly fell in love with the exotic nature of this Central American country and its rich wildlife, butterflies included, of course! A return visit at the end of November in 2019 for just one week was equally fabulous, and during this second visit we hired a car for two days and headed out into the richness of the inland rainforest habitat.

For this year’s 2022 trip, we flew out of Gatwick on 16th November on what is undeniably a rather tedious eleven-and-a-half-hour flight to Liberia Airport, situated to the North West of San Jose, in the Guanacaste province. We were to be staying for a fortnight at the same hotel as during our previous two holidays, surrounded by “jungle”, or more accurately, “dry tropical forest”. You might wonder why we didn’t try out somewhere different, instead of returning to the same place. A few photographs might help to explain…
hotel location.JPG
habitat 4.JPG
habitat 2.JPG
tropical dry forest.JPG
habitat.JPG
Hotel location and local habitat

We arrived as the sun was setting on Wednesday evening and were up early Thursday a.m. keen for an early breakfast and morning walk. We rapidly fell into our old routine – a big buffet breakfast followed by a three hour hike around the local forest, cameras in hand – and followed this pattern religiously for the first four days. A series of tracks and paths lead through an area of over 100 acres, rising from sea-level to around 100 metres in altitude. Flower rich, sunny clearings co-exist alongside shadier areas of dense tropical forest, muddy patches, and dappled shade, and the wildlife is superb. Three species of Monkey make their home here, along with Anteaters, Iguanas, and a wealth of exotic birds and other beasts. Many butterflies, familiar species from our previous trips, began to appear on the wing, but as the season was running later, and we were a bit earlier than previously (still at the end of the rainy season), the numbers of many species were noticeably higher. Mud and mosquitos were also more plentiful!

One of the first species to make our reacquaintance was the quintessentially tropical Malachite. This stunning green monster of a butterfly was about in good numbers, usually hugging the edges of rides and often landing quite high up. Occasional individuals would come down lower, and sometimes even land at ground level, but these were usually tattered and torn examples. Once or twice however, a beautifully fresh specimen would pose nicely:
Malachite 2.JPG
Malachite unds.JPG
Malachite - Siproeta stelenes

At the other end of the size spectrum were two very common butterflies: the tiny Elf was about by the dozens, and Barred Yellows by the hundreds. Both species fly low to the ground, the Elf favouring ride edges and ditches, while the Barred Yellows will fly in any open habitat with short vegetation and are fond of mud-puddling.
Elf - Microtia elva.JPG
Elf unds - Microtia elva.JPG
Elf - Microtia elva
Barred Yellow pair 3 - Eurema daira.JPG
Barred Yellow - Eurema daira

Staying with the small stuff, other familiar species included Ceraunus Blue (just a handful seen all fortnight), Hermodora Metalmark (half a dozen seen) and Carolina Satyr (very common), the latter appearing quite "hairstreak-like" in flight.
Ceraunus Blue - Hemiargus ceraunus.JPG
Ceraunus Blue - Hemiargus ceraunus
Hermodora metalmark - Detritiovora hermodora.JPG
Hermodora metalmark unds - Detritiovora hermodora.JPG
Hermodora Metalmark - Detritiovora hermodora
Carolina Satyr - Hermeuptychia sosybius.JPG
Carolina Satyr - Hermeuptychia sosybius

The charismatic and noisy "cracker" butterflies were out in force this year, with both Glaucous and Guatamalan Crackers seen in numbers on a daily basis.
Guatamalan Cracker - Hamadryas guatamalena.JPG
Guatamalan Cracker - Hamadryas guatamalena
Glaucous Cracker 3 - Hamadryas glauconome.JPG
Glaucous Cracker - Hamadryas glauconome

Butterfly photography out here in the tropics is made all the more difficult by the heat (= hyperactive butterflies) and the almost constant breeze (= settled butterflies swaying about incessantly). I was also having to contend with a new bridge camera for many of my shots, as my faithful Lumix fz150 had finally given up the ghost after 10 years of loyal service. Zooming in from a distance on a swaying perched butterfly is never a recipe for a good photograph, but on many occasions, it was the only option to try and capture images. The "Patch" group of butterflies were of particular interest this year. During our first 2018 visit we only found one species (Black Patch). 2019 produced a single sighting of a rather worn Bordered Patch. But this year there were many more about and we got to know them much better. It was particularly notable just how variable the Bordered Patch is in terms of colour and markings. Here are three examples taken in the same location:
Bordered Patch 6 - Chlosyne lacinia.JPG
Bordered Patch 2 - Chlosyne lacinia.JPG
Bordered Patch 5 - Chlosyne lacinia.JPG
Bordered Patch - Chlosyne lacinia

One of the first "new" species we found was another member of this group. I only managed a rather poor shot of this, for the reasons stated above (my excuse anyway!), but it was rather a lovely insect - the Guatamalan Patch.
Guatamalan Patch - Chlosyne erodyle.JPG
Guatamalan Patch - Chlosyne erodyle

Other medium-sized species frequently encountered included the Tropical Buckeye (most of which were showing signs of wear and going over), the lovely White Peacock, and, probably Costa Rica's most widespread butterfly, the Banded Peacock. The latter can turn up in just about every conceivable habitat and location out here.
Tropical Buckeye 2 - Junonia genoveva.JPG
Tropical Buckeye unds - Junonia genoveva.JPG
Tropical Buckeye - Junonia genoveva
White Peacock - Anartia jatrophae.JPG
White Peacock - Anartia jatrophae
Banded Peacock 2 - Anartia fatima.JPG
Banded Peacock - Anartia fatima

Theona Checkerspots were common as always along ride edges and in clearings, Pale-banded Crescents less numerous but seen most days, and (one of my favourite Pierids) Boisduval's Yellow was about in small numbers, usually mud-puddling, or at least close to damp patches.
Theona Checkerspot - Chlosyne theona.JPG
Theona Checkerspot pair - Chlosyne theona.JPG
Theona Checkerspot - Chlosyne theona
Pale-banded Crescent 2 - Phyciodes tulcis.JPG
Pale-banded Crescent - Phyciodes tulcis
Boisduval's Yellow - Eurema boisduvaliana.JPG
Boisduval's Yellow - Eurema boisduvaliana

And to wrap up part one of this report, an unusual beach sighting - a very fresh Marius Hairstreak catching some early morning rays on a rock, just a couple of metres from the incoming waves.
Marius Hairstreak - Rekoa marius.JPG
Marius Hairstreak - Rekoa marius

In part two there are a few surprises in store as we climb up to the higher part of the local habitat and witness a number of new species hill-topping...
David M

Re: Costa Rica November 2022

Post by David M »

Fabulous, Pete! :mrgreen: Just the tonic on a cold December day.

Looks like paradise out there, with a range of butterflies that suggest that it probably is!

That Hermodora Metalmark appears as though it has been created by an artist.

Looking forward to further instalments.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

PART TWO
Thanks David - hope you enjoy part 2!

The days passed in a dream-like state – mornings spent butterflying, followed by afternoons at the pool, swimming, reading, sipping cocktails, topped off at night with fine wine and dining at a variety of themed restaurants (Seafood, French Bistro, Mexican, Italian etc). Very relaxing, with the addition of regular moments of excitement on the Lepidoptera front. New species turned up on a daily basis, many of these being Skippers which I have deliberately left out for the time being - they will feature in a chapter all of their own at the end of this report.

During our visits in 2018 and 2019 most of our walks around the local forest had been at low altitude, just a few metres above sea level. I had been drawn to a particular area of land that looked very promising. It rose up to a prominent hilltop and was alive with butterflies, particularly some large Sulphurs and other whites and yellows. But the area was gated off and the gates were locked. I asked one of the hotel staff about it and was informed that it was private land.

This year however, the gates were unlocked, and there was a sign indicating a “sendero” and also directions to a “mirador”. The area was now open to the public! This area became the main part of our daily ritual walk, up the hill through the forest along shady tracks and more open clearings until we reached the top. This was arduous work with temperatures in the low 30s and humidity approaching 90%. Profuse sweating was mandatory, but the rewards on reaching the hilltop were well worth it! The view was incredible and gaining that extra bit of altitude enabled us to see hill-topping and canopy-dwelling butterflies that we would never have seen otherwise.

One of the iconic groups of tropical butterflies are the famously well-camouflaged “Leafwings”, but to me these insects had only existed in the pages of books and websites, that is, until the third day of our holiday. The morning had started well, with a lifetime first sighting of a Cross-barred White. It was mud-puddling. Well, it was thinking about it, tantalizingly alighting on the ground for about half a second then rising up again repeatedly. It was testing my patience, but apparently it was testing my wife's patience even more, as she eventually walked on up the track and left me to it, cursing this little beauty as I struggled to eventually get a photograph.
Cross-barred White - Itaballia demophile.JPG
Cross-barred White - Itaballia demophile

The other Whites and Sulphurs weren't much easier to get close to.
Cloudless Sulphur - Phoebis sennae.JPG
Cloudless Sulphur - Phoebis sennae
Orange-barred Sulphur - Phoebis philea.JPG
Orange-barred Sulphur - Phoebis philea
Yellow-and-white Yellow  - Eurema venusta.JPG
Yellow-and-white Yellow - Eurema venusta
Tabasco Yellow - Eurema agave.JPG
Tabasco Yellow - Eurema agave

One Pierid in particular fascinates me out here - the Tailed Orange. It has two seasonal forms, a wet season and a dry season one, and they are quite different. As we were at the transitional stage between the rainy and dry seasons, we were fortunate to be able to observe the two forms on the wing at the same time. The wet season ones were almost all females, frantically egg-laying. The dry season ones were very few and were all fresh males, with beautiful tails and markings.
Tailed Orange - Eurema proterpia.JPG
Tailed Orange 3 - Eurema proterpia.JPG
Tailed Orange - Eurema proterpia. Wet season form above,dry season below

But major excitement was about to happen as we reached a clearing near the top of the hill. This vantage point enabled us to look out over parts of the canopy, and there was something different on the wing. Leafwings! They were landing a fair way away, necessitating a lot of zooming in and some cropping of the final photo's, but they were fabulous to find and watch. My first was the Holey Leafwing, quickly followed by the Tropical Leafwing.
Holey Leafwing 4 - Zaretis ellops.JPG
Holey Leafwing - Zaretis ellops
Tropical Leafwing - Anaea aidea.JPG
Tropical Leafwing unds - Anaea aidea.JPG
Tropical Leafwing - Anaea aidea

At the very top of the highest point of the hill, something large and colourfully red was flying around the highest trees in the canopy. We could get nowhere near these, but they looked gorgeous. I managed a shockingly poor shot of one from below, which was sufficient to confirm its ID as a Red-and-black Leafwing:
Red-and-black Leafwing - Siderone galanthis.JPG
Red-and-black Leafwing - Siderone galanthis

On the walk back down the hill, a small to medium-sized butterfly was lurking in the shade along the ride edge. I did get a view of its upper wing, which was darkish with forewing spots, but it refused to pose open-winged for the camera and all I managed was an underside of yet another life-tick, the Dingy Purplewing.
Dingy Purplewing - Eunica monima.JPG
Dingy Purplewing - Eunica monima

As the habitat opened out again, a Mexican Fritillary flew past and stopped briefly.
Mexican Fritillary - Euptoieta hegesia.JPG
Mexican Fritillary - Euptoieta hegesia

Closer to the hotel we stopped by a particular tree that I had previously nick-named the "hairstreak tree", as I had found a couple of interesting members of this group here in previous years, and sure enough it provided another newbie, a slightly ragged Red-spotted Emeraldstreak.
Red-spotted Emeraldstreak - Chalybs hassan.JPG
Red-spotted Emeraldstreak - Chalybs hassan

The walk then ended in delightful and intense confusion, as my wife called out that she had something "very different" in front of her. She did - it was shimmering and very unusual looking. I had no idea what it was until I checked my field guide later that evening. It turns out that it was the only male we had ever seen of the Four-spotted Sailor. We had seen quite a few females - I hadn't even realized that this species was sexually dimorphic until then! The two sexes are very different.
Four-spotted Sailor male - Dynamine postverta.JPG
Four-spotted Sailor - Dynamine postverta.JPG
Four-spotted Sailor - Dynamine postverta - male above, female below

In part three we pick up a hire car and leave the coast behind us, adventuring inland to the rainforest proper and some more thrilling action and finds...
Last edited by petesmith on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It's only when you see Riodinidae in the Americas that you understand why they are known as Metalmarks.

Takes me back to my visit many years ago (must be nearly 20 years). Those Banded Peacocks were just as common then, so common they have communal roosts!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

bugboy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:09 pm It's only when you see Riodinidae in the Americas that you understand why they are known as Metalmarks.

Takes me back to my visit many years ago (must be nearly 20 years). Those Banded Peacocks were just as common then, so common they have communal roosts!
Yes, the Metalmarks are quite stunning aren't they! We were short-changed in Europe when they were allocated :lol:
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

PART THREE
Hiring a car for three days gave us the freedom to do a bit of travelling by ourselves, unconstrained by official tour timetables, guides and itineraries. There are many things to like about Costa Rica. The peoples’ love of and pride in their natural world ranks right up at the top for me, as do their eco-credentials when it comes to designating and protecting large areas of the country as national parks and creating linkage corridors between these parks to stop genetic isolation of key animal species. The lack of an army, and their self-sufficient energy supplies are also admirable, as is their education system, but the road network certainly leaves a little to be desired.

Serious fellow European butterfly enthusiasts who have travelled widely will have their own memories and experiences when it comes to navigating “interesting” roads in places such as the French Alps, Pyrenees and Greek mountains – depending on your perspective and your driver/passenger status, perceptions may range from “exhilarating” to “terrifying”. In Costa Rica things are a little different. The main Pan-American Highway runs through the Guanacaste region, heading northwards into Nicaragua and beyond, and to the locals this road is the equivalent to our M1 motorway. It is single carriageway, carries a lot of large trucks and lorries, and is not without a few potholes and rough road surfaces in places. But it is a proper road. To get anywhere off the beaten track, minor roads must be negotiated, which range in quality from decent tarmac down through rough, uneven dirt tracks, deteriorating by degrees into varyingly passable or impassable mud slides. Many roads get washed away each year during the rainy season and to stand much chance of making it to your destination (and back) a 4x4 is pretty much essential.

Our hire car was a huge gas-guzzling automatic Toyota which did less than 20 mpg and went some way to offsetting all of Costa Rica’s efforts at the eco-friendly stuff mentioned above! On the plus side, petrol was, by current UK standards, cheap, at around £1.00 per litre. The Toyota got us over some shockingly poor roads, up and down muddy earth tracks, and negotiated many potholes. On our first day of travelling, we headed north to the Nicaraguan border to do some sightseeing, looking out across Lake Nicaragua to the volcanic islands. The weather was rather overcast, but on our way back we took a very minor road down towards a river and got out to explore. Here we found our first Common Morpho butterflies of the holiday – huge and spectacular, and flying around relentlessly, never stopping for a selfie.

Black Patches appeared on the wing, but I was about to get a lesson in caution when it comes to making assumptions on identification, for there were certain individuals that looked slightly different, albeit very similar to each other. Fortunately, I had sufficient awareness to photograph several examples and later, over a glass of wine, reviewing the photographs of the day confirmed that we had seen Black Patch, and also the Simple Patch, another new species for me.
Black Patch 2 - Chlosyne melanarge.JPG
Black Patch - Chlosyne melanarge
Simple Patch 2 - Chlosyne hippodrome.JPG
Simple Patch - Chlosyne hippodrome

We also saw what I assumed (there was I, now throwing caution to the wind!) were more Four-spotted Sailors, and I zoomed in on an egg-laying female, getting a pretty poor and grainy image, but one that I later noticed looked a bit off. Closer examination revealed that this was another newbie – the Blue-eyed Sailor, subtly different in markings. If only I had realized at the time I would have strived for a better shot.
Blue-eyed Sailor 2 - Dynamine dyonis.JPG
Blue-eyed Sailor - Dynamine dyonis

On our second day of automotive mobility we set off at 6a.m. and drove east towards the continental divide that separates the Pacific and Caribbean sides of Costa Rica. Leaving the coast behind, we travelled for over an hour through dry tropical forest and patches of agricultural land. It is hard to believe that this forest, which is so green in late November, will lose most of its leaves during the hot and arid months of the dry season between January and May. We turned off at Curubande, and after another half hour, paid to use the road that leads to the Rincon de la Vieja National Park, arriving at our destination of the Las Pailas sector of the park at bang on 8 O’clock.

Here we were in the real rainforest, an other-worldly place altogether. The weather was mostly humid and overcast, but that didn’t prevent us from seeing many great things.
Rincon de la Vieja.JPG
rainforest 8.JPG
rainforest 2.JPG
rainforest 3.JPG
rainforest 6.JPG
rainforest 7.JPG
Rainforest habitat

As with European forest habitat, most of the butterfly action in the rainforest takes place not in the depths of the trees, but in clearings, ride edges and more open areas, but there are some species that do truly favour the deeper shadier parts. I was about to achieve a lifetime ambition to see my first ever clearwing butterflies in the wild, and I couldn’t have been more thrilled than to find the stunning Paula’s Oleria. This is a strong contender for the title “butterfly of the holiday” for me.
Paula's Oleria - Oleria Paula.JPG
Paula's Oleria - Oleria paula 3.JPG
Paula's Oleria - Oleria paula

A second species, the Handset Clearwing also appeared. These clearwings have the most gentle, exquisite flight. Think Wood White, but with the delicacy dialed up a couple of notches. They seem so fragile in flight that they are almost in danger of disappearing into another dimension at the slightest puff of wind, an impression that is enhanced by their transparent wing areas. I was deeply moved to be in the presence of several dozens of these absolute beauties.
Handset Clearwing 2 - Pteronymia latilla.JPG
Handset Clearwing - Pteronymia latilla

Another newbie that seemed to prefer the deeper shade was the Orange-striped White – about half a dozen appeared at a certain point in the rainforest and flew around us for ten minutes, only to disappear completely afterwards, never to be seen again.
Orange-striped White - Perrhybris pamela.JPG
Orange-striped White - Perrhybris pamela

More open areas produced fabulous sightings of many butterflies. The Heliconids in particular simply cannot resist a nice sunny patch of nectar, where, unlike most butterflies, they are actually collecting pollen rather than nectar. Here is a selection of these iconic insects.
Zebra Heliconian - Heliconius charithonia.JPG
Zebra Heliconian - Heliconius charithonia
Tiger Heliconian - Heliconius ismenius.JPG
Tiger Heliconian - Heliconius ismenius
Non-passionate Heliconians - Eueides procula.JPG
Non-passionate Heliconians - Eueides procula
Juno Heliconian - Dione juno.JPG
Juno Heliconian - Dione juno
Julia Heliconian - Dryas iulia.JPG
Julia Heliconian - Dryas iulia

These flower rich areas were also a magnet for one of the largest and most spectacular of tropical butterflies, the Rusty-tipped Page, which was a regular sight during our rainforest visits.
Rusty-tipped Page - Siproeta epaphus.JPG
Rusty-tipped Page - Siproeta epaphus

The Confusing Sister, somewhat like a White Admiral in flight and habit, could also be found here.
Confusing Sister 2 - Adelpha iphicleola.JPG
Confusing Sister 3 - Adelpha iphicleola.JPG
Confusing Sister - Adelpha iphicleola

New stuff was coming at me thick and fast, and I was hugely impressed by my first ever “Daggerwings”. These were tricky beasts to get close to – I found myself battling halfway through a spiky hedge trying to get my camera onto them. I got a few scratches, but it was well worth it to capture the memory of yet another lifetime first, the Many-banded Daggerwing.
Many-banded Daggerwing 6 - Marpesia chiron.JPG
Many-banded Daggerwing 3 - Marpesia chiron.JPG
Many-banded Daggerwing - Marpesia chiron

It turns out I was lucky just to get scratches. Five minutes after I had been in the thick of that hedge, my wife spotted a snake. Not just any snake, but an enormous Tiger Rat Snake, two-and-a-half metres long and as thick as a toilet roll tube. It was hanging in the middle of the hedge in the exact spot that I had been photographing the Daggerwings just minutes earlier, a salutary reminder that yes, maybe caution is advisable in the tropics after all…
Tropical Rat Snake.JPG
Tropical Rat Snake

Other species in more open meadow-like areas included the following:
Tailed Sulphur - Phoebis neocypris.JPG
Tailed Sulphur - Phoebis neocypris
Brown Greenstreak 2 - Cyanophrys fusius.JPG
Brown Greenstreak - Cyanophrys fusius
White Angled Sulphur - Anteos chlorinde.JPG
White Angled Sulphur - Anteos chlorinde

A couple of new species of Satyr turned up along a ride edge – Simple Big-eyed and Wide-bordered Satyrs, both rather lovely, and just before we left this piece of tropical paradise, I was captivated by the sight of a butterfly unlike any I have seen before. Slightly dumbstruck, I only managed to fire off one shot before it disappeared up and over the canopy. It’s a poor, slightly blurred record shot, of a magical moment that passed far too quickly, my one and only Guatamalan Catone.
Simple Big-eyed Satyr - Magneuptychia alcinoe.JPG
Simple Big-eyed Satyr - Magneuptychia alcinoe
Wide-bordered Satyr - Satyrotaygetis satyrina.JPG
Wide-bordered Satyr - Satyrotaygetis stayrina
Guatamalan Catone - Catonephele mexicana.JPG
Guatamalan Catone - Catonephele mexicana

I should mention a few butterflies that I didn’t manage to photograph. The Common Morpho lived up to its name – we saw several dozens. It wasn’t that they were camera-shy; they were positively friendly. Every time one appeared, flopping along lazily giving off those electric blue flashes, it would come right up to us and fly around us in a circle before continuing onwards. They just never settled, not once. The magic of being amongst these enormous icons in the wild cannot be overstated. We also saw plenty of Cattlehearts and Swallowtails, but again, they were not for stopping.

Our third day with the gas guzzler was spent revisiting the same area. The weather was hot and sunny, unlike during our previous day’s visit. We saw much less. Very few Morpho’s and just one glasswing, plus a smaller range of other stuff.

In part four, I shall fully redress the imbalance that I have introduced into this report by leaving out the Skipper butterflies. Hopefully the reason will become apparent…
Last edited by petesmith on Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

PART FOUR
Butterflying in Europe is a very special part of my life. Many of my best memories and experiences are of spending time out in the field with European species, in habitats that are, particularly from a UK perspective, fabulously rich and rewarding. I know that I am in the company of many like-minded people here on this forum. Travels to France, Spain, Greece and beyond have provided me with moments of great joy. But travelling to another continent is very different.

In Europe, there is the ever-present excitement of the possibility of something new turning up, but the non-UK species are always also accompanied by familiar species that occur here in Britain. In the tropics of Costa Rica, every single butterfly species that we encountered was foreign – there was not a single UK species to be seen at all. For a UK resident with a life-long passion for Lepidoptera, immersing one’s self in a completely new butterfly fauna is about as close to a transcendental experience as is possible to have, short of actually indulging in class-A hallucinogenic drugs! And no butterfly family epitomises this more than the Hesperiidae, which is why, folks, I have left the Skippers to make up the grand finale of this account.

To the layman, European Skippers perhaps appear a little drab and unexciting, and even serious butterfly enthusiasts would struggle to argue the case for them being amongst our most beautiful of species. Nevertheless, they do have their fans. Notable UKB members are known to be quite obsessive about them – the Pyrgus species in particular have received a lot of attention in France! But in Costa Rica and elsewhere in the tropics, the Skippers are a whole new ball game. Yes, certainly, there are some quite dull examples, many of which are not too distantly removed from European species in terms of appearance and behaviour. But this is a huge family. In Costa Rica, the Skippers account for almost 40% of the total number of butterfly species (in Europe, they account for around 10%), and in amongst this vast collection of insects are some absolutely stunning creatures, bordering on the psychedelic.

Unsurprisingly, most of the “new” species that I added to my life-list during our latest visit were members of this family. I don’t think a day went by without an unfamiliar Skipper being seen and photographed, and plenty of familiar ones from previous visits were also on the wing.
Let’s start with one for the Pyrgus fan(s) :lol:

The Tropical Chequered Skipper female wouldn't look too out of place two-thirds of the way up a French mountainside. The male, however, is a different creature altogether; a stunning, hirsute beast, hairy not just in body but also in wing, at least across the basal area.
Tropical Checkered Skipper male - Pyrgus oileus.JPG
Tropical Checkered Skipper pair 2 - Pyrgus oileus.JPG
Tropical Checkered Skipper pair 3 - Pyrgus oileus.JPG
Tropical Checkered Skipper - Pyrgus oileus

I will accept that the following three species could be considered slightly drab, but their patterning is quite splendid to my eyes.
Bolivian Variegated Skipper  - Gorgythion beggina.JPG
Bolivian Variegated Skipper - Gorgythion beggina
Variegated Skipper - Gorgythion begga.JPG
Variegated Skipper - Gorgythion begga
Sappho Bentwing - Ebriatus sappho.JPG
Sappho Bentwing - Ebriatus sappho

Blue is not a colour that would be considered as suitable attire for a European Skipper, and here things start to get more interesting. The Blue-studded Skipper turned up on our home patch near the hotel. The other two wonderful insects were in the tropical rainforest area at Rincon de la Vieja, and were breathtaking to see! The Two-barred Flasher was particularly iridescent.
Blue-studded Skipper - Sostrata bifasciata.JPG
Blue-studded Skipper - Sostrata bifasciata
Black-topped Blue Skipper 2 - Pythonides proxenus.JPG
Black-topped Blue Skipper - Pythonides proxenus
Two-barred Flasher - Astraptes fulgerata.JPG
Two-barred Flasher - Astraptes fulgerata

A large and pugnacious skipper was holding territory near the top of the hill close to our hotel, chasing away all challengers for its favourite perch. It was very energetic and fast, but eventually sat still long enough to be identified as the Broken Silverdrop:
Broken Silverdrop 2 - Epargyreus exadeus.JPG
Broken Silverdrop - Epargyreus exadeus

Three other sizeable and energetic members of this family are the Longtails photographed below.
Dorantes Longtail - Urbanus dorantes.JPG
Dorantes Longtail - Urbanus dorantes
Plain Longtail - Urbanus simplicius.JPG
Plain Longtail - Urbanus simplicius
Tanna Longtail - Urbanas tanna.JPG
Tanna Longtail - Urbanus tanna

Several species make subtle use of the colour white to enhance their appearance. The Potam Skipper was a particular surprise in the rainforest, quite a different shape and a good size. And the Coyote Cloudywing is a very subtle beauty with its white-bordered hindwings, an early morning surprise on one of our daily local walks.
Potam Skipper 2 - Eburuncus unifasciata.JPG
Potam Skipper - Eburuncus unifasciata
Coyote Cloudywing 2 - Achalarus toxeus.JPG
Coyote Cloudywing - Achalarus toxeus.JPG
Coyote Cloudywing - Achalarus toxeus
Glassy-winged Skipper - Xenophanes tryxus.JPG
Glassy-winged Skipper - Xenophanes tryxus

Near the top of our local hill, during the second week of our stay, another fast and subtly dramatic skipper surprised me along a shady ride with a flash of yellow. This was the accurately named Yellow-tipped Flasher, doing what it says on the tin with no risk of it contravening the Trades Description Act.
Yellow-tipped Flasher 3 - Astraptes anaphus.JPG
Yellow-tipped Flasher - Astraptes anaphus.JPG
Yellow-tipped Flasher - Astraptes anaphus

Next we have a trio of subtle beauties before the grand finale as promised.
Rita's Remella - Remella rita.JPG
Rita's Remella - Remella rita
Clouded Skipper - Lerema accius.JPG
Clouded Skipper - Lerema accius
Northern Snout-Skiper - Anisochoria bacchus.JPG
Northern Snout-Skipper - Anisochoria bacchus

To finish, another strong contender for my holiday favourite, a stunning skipper that we stumbled across during a brief roadside stop to stretch our legs. This stunner was nectaring on the edge of a playground opposite a school, in the company of a couple of green hummingbirds. I present to you the Royal Firetip. Wow...
Royal Firetip - Mysoria barcastus.JPG
Royal Firetip 3 - Mysoria barcastus.JPG
Royal Firetip - Mysoria barcastus

The following day one of these also turned up on our local hill.

Well that's all I've got. The gritting lorry has just driven past my house, it's bloody freezing outside, and we have the heating on (sod the expense!). I hope these images have warmed you up a bit during this burst of winter weather. Putting this together has certainly cheered me up no end and provided an antidote to the post-holiday Blues . Here's to next year...
Last edited by petesmith on Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Outstanding stuff Pete. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Lots of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Clearwings. :D
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Stevieb wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:43 pm Outstanding stuff Pete. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Lots of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Clearwings. :D
Thanks Stevie - glad you enjoyed it! The Clearwings really were magical.
David M

Post by David M »

I think we need a new category in the English language, Pete - Aristocrat Skippers! :)

That Royal Firetip, in particular, is magnificent.

How much is a return flight there? :)
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Super stuff Pete - what a thrill to explore such a place!

I recognise many species from the butterfly house, but would particularly enjoy seeing the crackers in the wild.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up - a very enjoyable read.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Brilliant report, Pete - many thanks. Took me back to my visit a few years back. One could easily spend a couple of years there if circumstances allowed! Did you have any trouble with your camera seizing up due to the humidity? I twice had to spend a couple of hours with my wife's hairdryer to get my old Sony alpha to function. A pain, but all part of life's rich pattern, I guess.

Tony M.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Benjamin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:23 am Super stuff Pete - what a thrill to explore such a place!

I recognise many species from the butterfly house, but would particularly enjoy seeing the crackers in the wild.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up - a very enjoyable read.
Thanks Benjamin. The Crackers are great! They must be the only butterflies that you regularly hear before you actually see them. Sparring males make such a loud cracking sound that it can be heard from quite a way away. They are also very habitual in their behaviour - 98% of the time they will perch half-way up a tree-trunk, always facing downwards. I have only rarely seen them land on greenery - I guess their camouflage works best on bark!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Tony Moore wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:32 pm Brilliant report, Pete - many thanks. Took me back to my visit a few years back. One could easily spend a couple of years there if circumstances allowed! Did you have any trouble with your camera seizing up due to the humidity? I twice had to spend a couple of hours with my wife's hairdryer to get my old Sony alpha to function. A pain, but all part of life's rich pattern, I guess.

Tony M.
Thanks Tony. I would love to spend a whole season out there - it's the sort of place that I don't think would ever get boring!
Regarding cameras and humidity - yes, a daily issue was that moving the camera from a nicely air-conditioned room at 20*C and relatively low humidity, out into 30+ degrees and 90% saturation, means that for the first ten minutes of the day, the camera lens is completely steamed up. You just have to hope that you don't see anything too exciting for at least this amount of time!

I did contemplate leaving my cameras out on the balcony for half an hour every morning before we set off, so that they could adjust, but there were regular balcony visits from the guys below, and I didn't trust them not to make off with my gear...
white-faced cappucin 4.JPG
white-faced cappucin 3.JPG
white-faced cappucin 2.JPG
White-faced Capuchins
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:43 pmI did contemplate leaving my cameras out on the balcony for half an hour every morning before we set off, so that they could adjust, but there were regular balcony visits from the guys below, and I didn't trust them not to make off with my gear...
Wise decision. :)

I reckon they'd have carted it off and disembowelled it in no time.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Wonderful reviews.

I recognised a small number from a long ago trip to Florida.

Out of interest what field guide did you use for the butterflies?
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

aeshna5 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:08 am Wonderful reviews.

I recognised a small number from a long ago trip to Florida.

Out of interest what field guide did you use for the butterflies?
Thanks aeshna. I used Jeffrey Glassberg's "A Swift Guide to Butterflies of Mexico and Central America" for initial ID, followed up by cross-referencing various internet sources, such as https://www.tropicleps.ch/

A few of the IDs are open to debate, but are "best guesses". I imagine the taxonomists have probably also changed a few of the binomial names in recent years, so some of them may be redundant, or have swapped Genus.

I have a few unidentifieds that I am still working on. Two below. I am not sure if there are enough clues on the skipper to get a definitive ID, but the other should be possible. Presumably one of the Ticlears, but I can't find a decent match anywhere!
unidentified 7.JPG
unidentified 1.JPG
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Many thanks Pete. I've had various friends who have done trips to Costa Rica & hope one day I might get there!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Pete,
You have filled me with joy! We are going on holiday to Costa Rica next March. I believe it isn't the best time of year for butterflies, but if I see half of what you saw I will be a happy man!! :D
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Hi Nick - I have pm'd you but for some reason my message seems to be sat in my outbox and is not appearing in my ""sent messages" folder. Please let me know if you have received it. Cheers. Pete

Return to “Overseas”