Long-tailed Blue

Tony Moore

Long-tailed Blue

Post by Tony Moore »

You guys may not yet have heard that a male LTB was caught near Redditch a couple of days ago. Apparently, it can be seen near the Worcester junction of the M5 by phoning 07974 266637 for an appt. It is thought to be an accidental import, but still interesting to see. I may try to get down there tomorrow if it is still reported sentient :mrgreen:
Tony Moore

Re: Long-tailed Blue

Post by Tony Moore »

ImageImage.

Further to my last, I have just come back from Worcester, where I was lucky to see the LTB. Apparently, it flew off yesterday when being shown to someone! It went about 30 metres over a couple of gardens and landed on a conservatory. The intrepid lepid grabbed a butterfly net, got over the fence, found a ladder and managed to recapture it. My pics were necessarily taken in its jam jar as others were coming to see it and another escape could not be risked. It seems likely that it arrived as a pupa in some Tesco's imported greenstuff; it was in such splendid condition that it is doubtful if it got here unaided. Still a wonderful butterfly and a first for me. :D :D .
thepostieles

Post by thepostieles »

thats great.wouldnt it be great if it becomes established in this country, though as u say might have come over as pupae :(
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'm delighted for you, Tony, but not at all happy that a butterfly was caught and retained for so long merely so people could come and see it. However it arrived in our free country, it should have been left to roam at will. That, at any rate, is my opinion.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi Guy,

I appreciate your concern, but surely, had it been immediately released, it would have quickly expired. It has probably now lived a few extra days (happily nectaring on late buddleia) and a number of people have had a rare opportunity - surely not so terrible. It was not so long ago that the poor thing would have already been pinned. It was to be let go today but, as the weather turned nasty, it will be freed tomorrow. Sadly, I fear it will not last long at this time of year anyway :( .

Tony.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You're quite possibly right in this instance, and I don't want to dampen your excitement at seeing one of Britain's rarest butterflies in the flesh, in England! You were lucky, and it was a beautiful insect. If someone really judged it better for the butterfly to be kept in captivity then so be it. But if it was kept as a 'trophy', or so that others could see it, or for any reason that didn't put the brief existence of the butterfly first, then I would be uncomfortable. As a general principle, I would certainly discourage people from catching rare migrants to show others - there's something especially lovely about watching a rarity disappear into the distance, free ...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Hi again Guy,

I really do actually agree with you. When I lived in Wareham (shortly after the end of the Punic Wars) our window cleaner found a perfect atropos on a house adjacent to mine. I carefully collected it and kept it for the afternoon. We had an avid collector in the area at the time, but there was no way he was going to murder my DH. I took it out onto the heath after dark and was delighted when it purred away into the distance. The collector was quite mortified when he heard, as he had never seen a living one. Death's Head - 1 , Collector - 0. and a rather smug Tone .:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony.

Return to “General”