millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

I knew I'd tantalise you with one more Small White, Wurzel. I wish I'd been able to get a bit closer to that one as it looked quite unusual. :) Autumn Commas have been distinctly sparse this year (certainly compared to autumn 2021), but looking back, the same thing was true of 2020 and they were fine the following spring. Their life-cycle is not as straightforward as some, so it is very hard to guess what may be going on.

On 25th September, the favourable forecast cemented my plans to head out on another major expedition, in search of a species I hadn't seen since 2017. Prompted by some intriguing reports from Kent (many thanks to AllanW and others for details), I headed to an abandoned cereal field on the edge of Walmer. By the time I arrived, it had clouded over somewhat and there was a bit of a cool breeze, but there were already several like-minded folk dotted around the field, including a concentration in one particular spot.

The centre of attention was a very fresh female Queen of Spain Fritillary. Initially, only the underside was on display, but it was stunning: the trademark silver patches were set off beautifully by the overall gold and chestnut of the other markings.
QoS38 250922.JPG
Eventually, increasingly warm sunshine did cause the butterfly to open up and become mobile, revealing un unblemished upperside.
QoS10 250922.JPG
QoS14 250922.JPG
QoS4 260922.JPG
It was a very popular butterfly...
QoS11 250922.JPG
I managed at one point to get on the otherside of it and achieved a "stained glass" shot, which I think always shows fritillaries off to good advantage.
QoS2 250922.JPG
Others of the species were also appearing now, largely males that had a few signs of wear. An attempt was made by someone to introduce the new female to one of these males: they appeared not the least bit interested in each other, but made very nice shots for comparing how the two sexes differ in appearance.
QoS pair2.JPG
QoS pair4.JPG
QoS pair1 250922.JPG
While looking around the site, I did come across other species of butterfly (though not many).
SC1 250922.JPG
SW1 250922.JPG
BA1 250922.JPG
However, my attention soon returned (along with ever-increasing amounts of sunshine) to the QoS. I found several different males, but I think I will complete this account of the day in a second part.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Better weather than I got a few days later :mrgreen: .

I was chatting to a few locals about the future of the field and it seems the proposed development is dependent on more than just this field, and apparently someone who owns one of the others isn't willing to sell, so perhaps they may have a home for a few years yet...fingers crossed.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's encouraging news, Paul. The chap I spoke to was full of doom and gloom about a big housing project, rerouting of roads and the disappearance of this field (amongst others) - all prompted when I wondered aloud about why the cereal crop hadn't been harvested. The other positive aspect is that the species was seen in several Kent locations, so even if one or two sites don't work out, maybe others will. As you say, fingers crossed.

So, back to the butterflies. I saw perhaps a further half dozen and managed a few shots of some of them. As I think Bugboy mentioned, the rather monochrome backdrop of the dried-up cereal certainly set off the colours of the butterflies. They weren't too difficult to approach, and though the males had the Wall-like habit of settling on the path ahead of you, they didn't have that species' annoying habit of flying off just as you got suitably close.
QoS6 260922.JPG
QoS18 250922.JPG
QoS19 250922.JPG
QoS31 250922.JPG
QoS32 250922.JPG
QoS33 250922.JPG
QoS34 250922.JPG
QoS35 250922.JPG
QoS22 250922.JPG
One or two slightly different views...
QoS28 250922.JPG
QoS36 250922.JPG
QoS37a 250922.JPG
...and finally a closer look at the first butterfly of the day, arguably the most stunning of the lot.
QoS1 250922.JPG
Another brilliant day, with once again some amazing butterflies and some great company (at least one of whom had been on Worthing sea front on 21st. Hi, Monica! :) ). Hopefully, this species will follow in the footsteps of the Long-Tailed Blue and make much more regular appearances in the UK. Its habits are rather different, however, and it could conceivably become semi-resident rather than a regular migrant like the LTB. Either way, it would be most welcome! :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:23 pm...They weren't too difficult to approach, and though the males had the Wall-like habit of settling on the path ahead of you, they didn't have that species' annoying habit of flying off just as you got suitably close...
Bang on, Dave. QoS is very much a creature of 'the track', seeming to have a predisposition to settling on it and often returning to favoured patches within a relatively small area.

The undersides are probably the most beautiful of any European Fritillary and it would be lovely if they could establish themselves here, although that won't be helped by further loss of habitat to housing development. :(
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking sequence of shots Dave :D 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Interesting to read about them sitting on the track - all the ones I've seen have seemed to favour vegetation but then I've only seen a few :wink: :mrgreen: Hopefully there won't be many more whites... :? :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great reports from Walmer Dave. I was tempted but Worthing was tempting too!.
A few :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for your shots ( several stunners there ).

Wonderful stuff,
Trevor.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Excellent Report Dave !...................looks like i left a little too early on the 25th ,would loved to have seen that glorious female,
but i,m not complaining !....................seeing the Queens was Almost (but not quite !) my best butterfly moment of 22'
Allan.W.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just brilliant pictures of the Queens, Dave. I'd be really interested to know if they are able to gain a foothold. My fear is that the British winter is just too long and damp - and not cold enough. But they seem to manage just the other side of the Channel (assuming their numbers are not constantly topped up by immigrants from further south ...), so maybe!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Much like Paul’s, these late season reports make for some great reading Dave. Fantastic photos and write ups - great stuff.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you for the appreciative comments, David, Wurzel, Trevor, Allan, Guy and Ben - it was very much worth the effort involved in getting down to Walmer, and the butterflies cooperated as well, which is always a bonus. :) I was particularly pleased with some of those shots as the two QoS I had encountered back in 2017 in Sussex had been rather more worn than these. Overall though, they didn't seem to be too difficult to photograph - though I imagine on warmer sunnier days things might be different.

Seeing the Queens brought my year tally to 53 species, which I was very pleased with - considering I had missed out on any of the ones I'd been planning to see up north this year. Thinking about it, my planning for 2022 has been completely upended, and the old adage of expect the unexpected has been very apposite - in good ways as well as some not so good. :wink: :)

26th September was back down to earth (or my local patch at least). It was cooler (only 16 degrees) and not particularly sunny, and I only saw six species: Comma, Speckled Wood, Large White, Small White, Small Copper and third brood Common Blue.
Comma1 260922.JPG
Comma2 260922.JPG
LW3 260922.JPG
SpW1 260922.JPG
SC1 260922.JPG
CB2 260922.JPG
CB3 260922.JPG
CB4 260922.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

27th September was duller and cooler than the day before, only reaching 15 degrees. However, the weather was about return to its unusually warm 2022 self, as the daily maximum local to me at Heathrow did not now drop below this figure until 3rd November. Anyway, I didn't go out again until 28th September when there was a bit more sunshine, though I didn't go far. As it happened, I didn't need to really as there were highlights within a short distance of home.

Third Brood Holly Blues are a regular feature of my local patch, normally popping up between mid-October and mid-November. However, the warmth of 2022 seemed to have advanced things somewhat and I'd already seen one or two. Today, within a couple of hundred metres of home I found first a fresh female, and then immediately afterwards a fresh male.
HB3 280922.JPG
HB4 280922.JPG
HB1 280922.JPG
HB5 280922.JPG
HB6 280922.JPG
HB2 280922.JPG
Autumn conditions always seem perfect for them to open up at lower levels like this.

A single somewhat ragged Small White stopped by briefly...
SW1 280922.JPG
...and then higher up on some flowering ivy I spotted another Holly Blue - but it was a much older individual and was too far away and at the wrong angle for a photo. However, lower down on a still-flowering buddleia was another typical autumn sight - a new Red Admiral.
RA2 280922.JPG
RA1 280922.JPG
Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Lovely Holly Blues in particular, Dave. I don’t see many in autumn this side of London but, like you, I find they open up much better in the weak autumn sunshine than they do in the strong sun of late spring and summer.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Gorgeous Holly Blues. Didn't see many this year :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Mark. It's one of the things I've started to look forward to in autumn! :) There are a couple more late-season Holly Blue stunners to come I think, and certainly quite a few more sightings in October overall (and even one today - 9th November).

Cheers, Paul - even with a hiatus in my observations during the height of the summer, Holly Blues have been the third most frequently seen species in 2022 on my local patch (after Meadow Brown and Common Blue). First sighting 26th March, and latest sighting today. The first brood peaked in May, the second in July, and the (much less numerous) third was more drawn-out September/October. I'd miss them if they weren't here! :)

29th September was nothing special - nine butterflies of six species, but only a couple of photos. A standard autumn Comma feeding up pre-hibernation...
Comma1 290922.JPG
...and an otherwise fresh-looking Speckled Wood that had unfortunately met with a fairly drastic accident.
SpW1 290922.JPG
Overall, I went out locally on 18 of September's 30 days, but only saw 13 different species during the month here. Numbers of all these were lower than previous years, with the notable exception of the Speckled Wood. Sightings of Small White, Comma and Red Admiral were significantly lower, and everything else less markedly so. As the vegetation at the start of the month had only just started to recover after the lengthy drought, none of this is surprising. Speckled Woods (and to some extent Holly Blues too), inhabitants of shady woodlands, were probably less affected.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Now for what was to turn into an amazingly warm October. It started with a sunny day on the 1st, and temperatures nudging 20 degrees locally. Disappointingly, this only translated into ten butterfly sightings of just four species - though half were Common Blues...
CB1 011022.JPG
CB2 011022.JPG
CB3 011022.JPG
...and one was a Peacock. Whether wakened from hibernation, or a second brooder, I wouldn't like to guess.
PK1 011022.JPG
The other butterflies comprised three Small Whites...
SW1 011022.JPG
...and more traditionally for the time of year, a nicely posing Red Admiral.
RA1 011022.JPG
RA2 011022.JPG
Though in the same spot as the one seen a few days earlier, it was a different individual.

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave. I've still never seen a third brood Holly Blue up here :mrgreen: :D

Your local patch certainly carries on much longer than mine, I haven't seen anything since the second week of October (Speckled Wood) and that was actually quite late for around here. We did have a lot of mild weather in October but this was accompanied on most days by thick cloud and quite a bit of rain. We also had our first light frosts earlier in the month before it turned milder.

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Just seen your fresh, third brood Holly Blues, Dave.
Better still, lovely shots of both sexes :mrgreen:

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey Dave - that male Common Blue is in excellent nick 8) Your patch keeps on producing the goods - it must be the 'Heathrow heat bubble' 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those relatively few miles northwest seem to make a significant difference, Neil. Third brood Holly Blues would be missed here if they failed to appear. :)

Thank you, Trevor - there are some more fresh ones to come, and a month more of sightings of the species... :)

Cheers, Wurzel. :) More remarkable is the fact that I saw a fairly fresh Common Blue today (13th November), a full six weeks after the one above. Extraordinary, really. :)

2nd October was perhaps even better than 1st, with more warm sunshine. Two consecutive days of this clearly woke up more butterflies: 20 were seen, of nine species - a species count higher than any day in September. The tally looked like this:

Common Blue 5 (1f, 4m)
Small White 4
Brimstone 3 (2f, 1m)
Comma 2
Red Admiral 2
Holly Blue 1
Large White 1
Peacock 1
Speckled Wood 1
CB1 021022.JPG
CB2 021022.JPG
female
female
male
male
Comma1 021022.JPG
Comma2 021022.JPG
PK1 021022.JPG
SpW1 021022.JPG
RA4 021022.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Though just as warm as the first two days of the month, 3rd October was less sunny, and fewer butterflies were around. I still managed one or two shots.
SW2 031022.JPG
RA1 031022.JPG
CB1 031022.JPG
This Holly Blue was spotted in a neighbour's garden, but was too far away to be properly caught on camera. However, I like to have the record at this end of the year: it might be the last (though unlikely if I'm honest with myself... :wink: ).
HB1 031022.JPG
Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”