France September.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Medard

France September.

Post by Medard »

France, September.
Our September visit to France was to revisit some of our favorite locations.

Maillezais is a small village situated in the Vendée in the region known as the Green Venice, the ruined Abbey of Saint-Pierre makes it a popular tourist attraction, incidentally it is twinned with Glastonbury, Somerset just eight miles from my Somerset home.

As for butterflies it was disappointing unlike previous visits but outside the campsite office I spotted flitting around the Pelargoniums some very tiny butterflies that on close examination proved to be Geranium Bronze (Cacyreus marshalli) they were much smaller than the ones I've seen in the Abbey grounds, perhaps the drought and hot conditions are in some way was responsible.
Attachments
Flat bottom punts now used for tourist trips
Geranium Bronze (Cacyreus marshalli)
Abbey of Saint-Pierre
Abbey of Saint-Pierre
Matsukaze

Re: France September.

Post by Matsukaze »

Glad you made it to France Jim! Looking forward to seeing more. We were also there in mid-September and I think our paths may have criss-crossed a bit.
David M

Post by David M »

Bien joué, Jim. Probably not the best time to visit France given the near unprecedented heatwave that must have decimated all but the hardiest of butterflies, buy hey-ho, after two full years of travel restrictions, I don't blame you for making the most of your opportunity.
Medard

Post by Medard »

We now leave for our next favorite location, Pointe Saint-Clément and the Baie de l'Aiguillon, our planned Camping site at Esnandes was closed, our first disappointment. oh well just a minor set back, another disappointment awaited, the excellent little seafood restaurant overlooking the Baie was also closed but the greatest disappointment was the almost lack of Adonis blues the purpose of the visit, this small colony facing the sea had always been a joy to see, however I did manage to find several well worn specimens, perhaps the Adonis had emerged early caused by the drought, I do hope they will survive for another year.
The Baie de l'Aiguillon is a very important bird reserve, any members of the birding community who might wander onto this site might well consider a visit, the surrounding marshlands also offer interest, three Hen Harriers and numerous Kestrel were seen as well as many small migrants heading South.

We return to Maillezais to ponder our next move

NB.Adonis photos taken on a preivious visit.

More pictures of bird life taken at the Baie de l'Aiguillon
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p19 ... #he6831866
Attachments
T4992x3292-291 Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus).jpg
SEP_1232  Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus).jpg
T4992x3292-309  Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus).jpg
T4992x3292-302 Adonis Blue (Lysandra bellargus) (F).jpg
APR_2427_00001.jpg
Baie de l'Aiguillon.jpg
AUG_6360.jpg
SEP_7640.jpg

Return to “Overseas”