Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for all your comments, much appreciated.

I left my visit to Herstmonceux until late morning to allow the sun time to warm the cool air.
Compared to recent visits today was very quiet, and it was early pm before we saw much action.
Highlights were a Clouded Yellow and a female Wall which unfortunately escaped without a shot.
It was good to have company today when Katrina and John Williams joined in the fun.
We ended the day with a civilised coffee in the outdoor seating area. So ended an enjoyable day.

The images below show the best of today's sightings.
Attachments
P1360716.JPG
P1360702.JPG
P1360723.JPG
P1360685.JPG
P1360694.JPG
P1360708.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

It was vanessid day at Herstmonceux this afternoon.
First, and sometime after arrival, I spotted two fresh Painted Ladies, they were very active
and one of them was camera shy, but the other between bouts of rapid flight allowed me
several shots. Nearby one of three fresh Red Admirals seen nectared on Bowles Mauve.
The big surprise today was when I found two possibly three Small Tortoiseshells, not a species
I expected to see in October. A very fresh Clouded Yelllow eventually landed on verbena
after leading me on a merry dance. Before landing it flew over a wall, then dropped down
on my side of the wall a little while later. I managed shots of both sides as it nectared.

As for Wall Browns only two middle aged males were seen. It looks as though the third brood
is nearly over at Herstmonceux.
Attachments
P1360729.JPG
P1360744.JPG
P1360752.JPG
P1360756.JPG
P1360763.JPG
P1360784.JPG
P1360762.JPG
P1360758.JPG
P1360769.JPG
P1360806.JPG
P1360766.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Well you can have a third of a :mrgreen: each for the Painted Lady , Small Tortoiseshell and Cloudie all fresh. Viva the Vanessids!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Katrina. You chose the wrong day yesterday, it was magic if slow today.
If anything it was a touch warmer than yesterday.
One thing I like about Herstmonceux is the unpredictability of each visit.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hope you invested in a season ticket for Herstmonceux Castle! Looks like it would be worth it though :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Paul, I've had a season ticket for the last two years.
It more than pays off in late summer/autumn. I believe it was £35 for this year.
trevor

Post by trevor »

One from yesterday 10/10 another fresh male Common Blue.
Attachments
P1360819.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I had a very unexpected treat at Herstmonceux this afternoon.
Just across the road from the car park, two telescopes had been set up.
I enquired if there was something special to look at and I was invited to have a look.
The subject was the sun. Through one telescope it was possible to clearly see sunspots,
and through the other the surface of the sun. I was told that it would take a few seconds
for the eyes to adjust on this telescope, when in full focus the sun's surface could be
seen in full detail. Amazing, mind blowing, hardly does justice to what I saw.

As for butterflies, just one Painted Lady, a Small White, two fresh and four worn
Small Coppers were all that were seen in almost perfect weather.

The Walls seem to have finished.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1360872.JPG
P1360860.JPG
P1360852.JPG
P1360854.JPG
P1360870.JPG
P1360867.JPG
P1360838.JPG
P1360844.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Clouded Yellow was really fresh Trevor, looks like it had just crawled out of the chrysalis :shock: 8) :mrgreen: Herstmonceaux Castle produces the goods again, that season ticket your bought is worth it's weight in gold :mrgreen: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Numbers thinning quite violently here too, Trevor, but you still have plenty more to hang on to round your way.

It really seems like you're posting from a different country at times, such is the array of species you're finding that cannot realistically be easily seen elsewhere.

Several days of cloudy weather now forecast. I guess even for you that will bring the curtain down. It certainly will for me.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. No Cloudies today, but another commissioner ?.

Thanks David. It felt like another country this afternoon, 21c according to the car.

Today was my first visit to Herstmonceux for nearly a week.
The weather was so fine today I was sure it would tempt some butterflies out.
A lone Small Tortoiseshell was first on the scene, and stayed around for the whole of my four hour visit.
Although it was slow going I eventually found seven Small Coppers, all in fresh or good condition.
There were two interesting specimens among them, a very fine ' blue badge ', and another where
the orange hindwing band had ' spikes ' pointing towards the thorax.
Other sightings were, a Red Admiral, a female Speckled Wood, one Large White and an ageing
Common Blue.

Not bad for October 18th.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1360935.JPG
P1360910.JPG
Note hind wing orange band. ab subradiata
Note hind wing orange band. ab subradiata
P1360961.JPG
P1360959.JPG
P1360946.JPG
P1360949.JPG
P1360951.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great to see those fresh Small Coppers, Trevor! Given the timing, they might be a fourth brood (the books say this can happen sometimes), but whatever they are, they are a very welcome sight. The Small Tortoiseshell too - I think all my local ones are well-tucked away (at least I hope they are, and they are not stuck behind the glass in someone's spare room having been woken by the sunshine...).

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave. Those Small Coppers could well be fourth brood, they were in better
condition that some I saw several weeks ago.
As for awakened Small Torts. I saw one fluttering around a bedroom on Christmas Day
a few years back. Does that count as a last sighting of the year?
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely constabulary Trevor :D Looks like a Commissioner, a DI and a Special Constable :wink: :lol: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice that you saw another Small Tortoiseshell, Trevor, and those Small Coppers are radiant, particularly the one on the blue flower. What a treat for late October. :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

In between thunderstorms today we had a very bright and warm afternoon.
More in hope than expectation I headed off to Herstmonceux. After carefully searching
a south facing wall, often a hot spot, and finding nothing I went up to another area also
with a tall south facing wall. In the distance I could see a butterfly hopping between
an Aster and some Bowles Mauve. It was a pleasure and complete surprise to see a Small
Tortoiseshell in perfect unmarked condition. Three shots and it was gone.
The only other butterflies found today were two, worn, Small Coppers, and an old
female Common Blue.
With my family coming to stay next week, will it all be over when they return home?.
Attachments
P1360969.JPG
P1360987.JPG
P1360980.JPG
P1360975.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That's a splendid looking Small Tort! :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yes a :mrgreen: from me - nearly went myself but decided I didn't have enough time
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Paul & Katrina. I am sure that was my latest ever ( apart from an indoor awakened hibernator )
Small Tort. I forgot to mention earlier that yesterday I saw my first ever Box Tree moth, and a female
Brimstone fluttering around my garden. No images though.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, that Small Copper on the yellow flower looks fantastic :mrgreen: I must remember to get that flower for the garden :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”