UK Red Admiral Life Cycles

PhilBJohnson

UK Red Admiral Life Cycles

Post by PhilBJohnson »

I thought that a Red Admiral species might life cycle through a mild British winter, at a slower life cycle speed (because of lower temperatures) at whatever metamorphic state it is in (or just butterflies and larvae, or butterfly pupae and larvae.
It was thought that the adult butterfly, just had it’s daily routines slowed down and roosted for longer periods, unlike Peacock & Small tortoiseshell butterflies.
Kind Regards,
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: UK Red Admiral Life Cycles

Post by Vince Massimo »

You are on the right track, Philip. Under certain conditions, adults can over-winter, whilst some eggs and larvae and can also get through by developing at a significantly slower rate. However, I don't think pupae can survive for the whole winter.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5672

Vince
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thanks Vince (looking back), (and Sorry Vince, looking forward, this post has been edited, to help make question clearer, in what I was meaning to ask).
Did "Not a proper hibernation" have meant, that a maximum butterfly roosting length, during inclement weather, might have been 2-3 weeks?
Red Admiral butterfly, micro-climatic, low temperature tolerance, might have been ºC higher than a Peacock butterfly, but ºC lower, than a North African Painted Lady progeny (which global species distribution range, might have extended further south, in hotter climates).
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:43 am, edited 6 times in total.
Kind Regards,
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Philip, if I understand your question correctly, unlike our regular hibernating species, the Red Admiral, Painted Lady and Clouded Yellow are not equipped to fully hibernate as adults, so they should migrate south at the end of the season to their respective winter breeding grounds. However, some may leave it too late and get stranded, so have to take their chances with the British winter. Their physiologies are not adapted to spending a long period in a fully dormant state or coping with low temperatures. Of these, the Red Admiral seems to be able to tolerate mild winter conditions in sheltered locations better than the other two species and so is able to "overwinter" more successfully. The best example I have been able to find of this is from Paul Harfield, who reported on two Red Admirals roosting in his garden over the winter of 2018/2019 - one for 33 days and the other for 92 days (27th October 2018 to 27th January 2019).
The full report is contained in the two pages of this topic https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/v ... f=8&t=9984

This subject has fascinated me for many years and merits further study.

Vince
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Philip, I have now updated my reply following further investigation.

Vince

Return to “Red Admiral”