Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I went over to Herstmonceux with two species in mind, Wall Brown and female Common Blue.
I was successful with both sexes of Wall, and right at the end of the day a female Common Blue. This butterfly
kept us waiting for ages before she opened up, on return of the sunshine.
In between there were many fresh Small Coppers, including a very fine, fresh, ' blue badge ' specimen.
The almost obligatory Clouded Yellows were seen bombing around, but it was much later before one
settled long enough for several shots.

It was good to have the company of Kirsty in the morning, and in the afternoon our very own Katrina ( thanks again for the coffee ).

Trevor.
Attachments
P1350888.JPG
P1350893.JPG
Male Wall and Small Copper.
Male Wall and Small Copper.
P1350913.JPG
Small Copper basking on my sandwiches!
Small Copper basking on my sandwiches!
P1350922.JPG
P1350930.JPG
P1350934.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great to bump into you - you got some fantastic Wall photos!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Having read several excellent reports about the Worthing seafront Long Tailed Blues,
i went there today, after the service, to see for myself. Not having an intimate knowledge
of the streets of Worthing I probably didn't take the best route, but I ended up in Seaview Road.
There in front of me was the Tamarisk Hedge. I parked up then walked up to the seafront through
a gap in the hedge and immediately on my right there was a group of photographers.
Someone had found an LTB perched on the tip of a tamarisk spray right at the top of the hedge.
Almost out of reach this LTB could not have chosen a worse spot. When it was my turn to get as close as possible
I managed one image, using full zoom, which was in focus, the rest were rubbish. This is the closed wing shot.
The two open wing shots were taken later on, and again the butterfly had chosen a very awkward perch.
Much hedge top hopping was seen later but following them was another matter.
My final shot was of a very tattered male, this one did not stay long enough for me to focus properly.

Still it was a beautiful afternoon with a flat calm sea, very pleasant indeed!

Trevor.
Attachments
P1350940.JPG
P1350944.JPG
P1350947.JPG
P1350953.JPG
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Super stuff Trevor - sounds like you needed a local with a ladder - maybe tomorrow……
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

You saw the LTB and you got photos Trevor, so well done! :mrgreen: Now you have a good excuse to return, taking a step ladder with you. :)

Sarah.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Ben & Sarah. I'm pleased to say that even those with super long lenses
had problems trying to focus on the LTB's. I was quite happy with my shots in the circumstances.
Your stepladder would have been a boon today Ben!

Take care both,
Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Well done Trevor! Good day for it.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Trevor

While I struggle to keep up with my diary, here's a hot tip. From Worthing Pier, head west along the seafront until the roundabout at the base of George V Avenue. Go round the roundabout until you are heading back east along the prom and park ASAP (easy options). Walk along the seafront back-beach west of that roundabout. Bugboy and I couldn't get further than c.50 metres yesterday, as there were so many LTBs arriving throughout the day (from the north, congregating in readiness to head south).

BWs, Neil
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Katrina, weatherwise it was perfect yesterday.

Cheers for the very kind tip, Neil, I'll give that a go today if the weather behaves.
Talking of weather, conditions yesterday were perfect for a channel hop. I wonder
how many LTB's took advantage and flew south.
trevor

Post by trevor »

My plans for today were confirmed by Neil Hulmes message to me ( above ).
Then on the local TV news it was announced that the A27 was shut near Lewes.
Attempts to use local diversionary routes were useless, as they were all choked with traffic.
So I turned off the A22 and headed for Herstmonceux, this was a great decision.
On arrival I was greeted with two more very fresh male Wall Browns, and during the morning
more males and three females were seen. So there is quite a strong third brood of Walls at the Castle now.
Out in the huge meadow many Small Coppers were making the most of the remaining thistle flowers
and basking on the fluffy seed heads. Also in the meadow I saw a very fresh male Common Blue land
beside a female and instantly couple. They then flew onto a grass stem and remained coupled.

An enforced change of plan worked out well!

Trevor.
Attachments
P1360012.JPG
P1350999.JPG
P1350992.JPG
P1350970.JPG
P1350959.JPG
P1350996.JPG
P1350991.JPG
P1350984.JPG
P1350963.JPG
P1350979.JPG
Good to see a brown female Common Blue.
Good to see a brown female Common Blue.
David M

Post by David M »

You've seen so many spectacular butterflies lately, Trevor, it's hard to know where to start.

You must be Clouded Yellowed out right now, as well as Wall Browned out! Great to see the former arriving in such numbers and the latter seemingly recovering in places where they were once far more scarce.

The Long Tailed Blues have given southern coast dwellers quite a show this year. I'm pretty certain that it won't be long before this species goes on the official UK list, as it is arriving every year now like Clouded Yellows.

My favourites though are the stunning Common Blue female on the previous page, as well as that fantastic caeruleopunctata Small Copper. Fabulous finds! :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks David. Not quite ' Clouded Yellowed out ', you might enjoy this evenings posts!.
It great to see several sites producing third brood Walls too.

Trevor.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I was pleased that my journey to Worthing went without a hitch today, unlike yesterday.
On arrival the Clouded Yellows were only just becoming active, and some were easy to photograph.
Among them, sticking out like a sore thumb even from some distance away, was a perfect, fresh helice.
This was not only my first helice for some years it also seemed to signal that a great day lay ahead...........
Attachments
What a beauty!
What a beauty!
P1360086.JPG
P1360016.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful Helice, very fresh looking :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

" I think a blue badge Copper I saw today might rank as a commissioner," definitely Trevor :shock: 8) You did well with those LTBs under trying conditions but something form your last post suggests that maybe the may be some more LTB action in the offing? :wink: Lovely Helice, but as I've now found my first one of these just a :mrgreen: singleton :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Katrina. The helice was just a taster of what was to come.
You guessed right Wurzel, in fact today was a bit of an LTB festival.

It was not too long after my arrival on site that the LTB action started.
The very fine weather ensured that we would see the fast- darting LTB flight pattern many times,
often assisted by Common Blues which frequently rose up to challenge the LTB's, and probably
prevented some from landing. When they did land it was great to see that some were very fresh,
while others had a few miles on the clock. Probably the highlight was the discovery of a mating pair.
I would imagine this pair were the most photographed LTB's ever. Better still it was possible
to photograph the pairing from both sides. During a cloudy spell several LTB's landed on the pebbles
and this allowed for some excellent, uncluttered ,closed wing shots.

Among the faces seen today it was good to meet, Katrina, Shona, Ben, Neil, Paul and Dave ( millerd ).

Today was a great experience I will remember for a long time. My thanks to Neil Hulme for the tip off.
Attachments
P1360061.JPG
P1360054.JPG
P1360042.JPG
P1360043.JPG
P1360025.JPG
P1360075.JPG
P1360046.JPG
P1360096.JPG
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Superb shots Trevor. Knowing what was coming I’ve been looking forward to your post all evening! I really must go back and find myself one of those pristine males - what a stunner.
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Stunning shots Trevor. Sounds like it was well worth returning! I'm delighted for you :D and wish I didn't live so far away :(

Sarah
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

You earned those fish & chips for that flat-open male, Trevor. Nice work!
BWs, Neil
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the mug shot Ben, enjoyed your people images. Truely a great day.

After a day when if it could go wrong, it did, Sarah, yesterday was all the sweeter!.

Pleased you enjoyed the open wing shot Neil. As it's you, you may lift off a copy,
for your mantlepiece! :lol: Many thanks again for yesterday.

Below are three more shots from yesterday, including my favourite pebble image.
Attachments
P1360083.JPG
P1360104.JPG
P1360030.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”